Light-O-Rama Forums
ovsims

50w RGB Flood wont color wash in DMX

I'm testing my brand new floods. I was using my falcon v3 in test mode to do a color wash were it fade in and out on each color. My floods work right with the Red and Blue but the white and green just flashes / strobe effect. this doesn't seem right can someone chime in and let me know if this is a problem

Off hand,  I would say there is a channel assignments error since there are channels on the LOR 50W flood that will cause strobe.

It also could be a power issue. 

Check the voltage when it's acting up. 

The 50w flood work correctly when using the Hardware Utility to test the channels. But when I hook it up in the DMX network from my falcon v3 it does not. I cannot do a color wash  correctly. I've switched the jumpers on the board on the 50w flood from LOR to dmx. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

Edited by ovsims

ok figured it out sort of but not really. to give you the full picture I have some other RGB floods that are not LOR so I'm trying to get them to work together. I cannot test these LOR floods with my Falcon v3 or at least I haven't figured out how to do it. but when I use xlights and the falcon I can uncheck channels 4 and 5 for the LOR floods and every thing works together. My question now is if I daisy chain the Floods can I still make each flood it's own color or does it turn into a dumb rgb string all of them have to be the same color. And is there a way to disable channels 4 and 5 through the hardware utility? I know its a little early for christmas lights talk but any help will be appreciated

26 minutes ago, ovsims said:

My question now is if I daisy chain the Floods can I still make each flood it's own color or does it turn into a dumb rgb string all of them have to be the same color.

Absolutely not.  Each flood will behave independently (unless of course you set them all to the same Unit ID).

I'm back to my previous statement - almost certainly a channel configuration issue.  Since the floods work properly with the LOR Hardware Utility, it is very likely that they are working properly.  Just to make sure I understand your setup, as I understand it, you are using a Falcon F3 controller and using one of the Falcon outputs as a DMX universe.  You would use with either the DIP switches to set the starting DMX address or set the DIP switches to all 0 and then use the Hardware Utility to set the LOR Unit ID (and therefore the DMX starting address when using DMX to drive it).  Check out pages 21 - 26 of the CF50D manual to see what the relationship is between LOR Unit ID and DMX starting address.  As far as the CF50D is concerned, you can use any DMX starting address for any particular flood.  I have no idea if there are limitations in xLights.  In the event that xLights assumes a RGB device is three channels and you can't vary that, the simple solution would be to start for example flood #1 on DMX address 1, and then flood #2 on DMX address 7 (instead of 4), etc.  You "waste" one address, but that is not a problem.

38 minutes ago, ovsims said:

And is there a way to disable channels 4 and 5 through the hardware utility?

Not that I know of, but there is no reason to do so.