Light-O-Rama Forums

Amp rating for Pixie Boards

rcoaster

On the Pixie 8D (2nd generation), the amp rating for the board is 32 amps, based on the 4 amp fuses for each port that comes standard. I have a 12v strip that requires 90W, which comes to 7.5 amps. Another string I'm looking at requires 5 amps. Can I put a higher rated fuse in each port? What is the maximum fuse amperage per port I can put in? Or, would you recommend that I bypass the power feed for that particular string with an inline fuse set up? 

That's a seriously huge strip.  My 5 meter strip (which is the longest the suggest for 12v strips) only takes 3.2 amps and 30W.

Anyways, I've "heard" that the Pixcon 16 can actually handle 5W per port but after that, you're playing with the possibility of hurting the board. I don't believe the other pixie boards are as flexible.  My suggestion is to do your suggestion. ha!

Fuses are there for a reason.  Don’t EVER install a larger fuse than specified by the manufacturer.

Yes, you will need power injection - one way or another.  What is a description of the strip that takes that much power?  Part of my concern is if the strip can handle that much current.

A Pixcon is not a Pixie.  

Pixcons do have traces that can handle a little more than 4A.  Even so we do NOT recommend or support using higher fuses.  It is just as easy to burn down your house at 5V as it is at 120V.

Pixies on the other hand are rated to 4A Max.

I'm with K6ccc.

I have serious concerns on any string running with an input of 7.5A. Even if the +12 lead does not fuse  (simple word for burn out), the  voltage drop will be serious, even with 18Ga copper wire.

Edited by TheDucks
Duoh! moment on second part-deleted

21 hours ago, BluMan said:

That's a seriously huge strip.  My 5 meter strip (which is the longest the suggest for 12v strips) only takes 3.2 amps and 30W.

Anyways, I've "heard" that the Pixcon 16 can actually handle 5W per port but after that, you're playing with the possibility of hurting the board. I don't believe the other pixie boards are as flexible.  My suggestion is to do your suggestion. ha!

It's this strip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNL6MNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 

It's a 5 meter strip, with 60 leds per meter which comes to 300 leds. IC every 3 leds, so it's a 100 pixel strip. 

Well, off to amazon and find some inline fuse kits. 

5 hours ago, rcoaster said:

It's this strip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNL6MNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 

It's a 5 meter strip, with 60 leds per meter which comes to 300 leds. IC every 3 leds, so it's a 100 pixel strip. 

Well, off to amazon and find some inline fuse kits. 

18W /M is hefty.  That is HEAT, so also be prepared to mount on a surface that will help sink some of that away.

inline automotive fuse holders that take the Wedge fuses used on the CMB24 are common, or you can use a 'marine' fuse block.

The strips I have, are similar to those used by BluMan, 3A/5M

• The topic was locked