Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR2 Odd Behavior

ericg2000

i got two CCC2 with CCR2 strips in the mad grab sale.  i have them named unit 7 and 8.  have the channels set as port 1) 7 1-75, port 2) 7 76-150, port 1) 8 1-75, port 2) 8 76-150. when i test them in HU and in a sequence port 2 on unit 7 and port 1 on unit 8 light up together. 

what's going on? 

and how do i do the leaping arch effect?  in previous years i used string lights wrapped around pvc and used regular 16 ch controllers.  this year i am using pixel arches.  i have messed around with the effect generator but i can't get that chasing leaping arch effect.  is there a trick? 

Eric,

I don't think your numbers add up, but not sure what you actually have.  How many strips do you have, and how many pixels are on each strip?  The numbers you listed would give the impression that you have four strips of 25 pixels each.  I doubt that is the case.  Note when counting pixels, there are three RGB LEDs for each chip as seen in the photo below.  Note that this is a Ray Wu WS2811 strip, NOT a LOR CCR2, but it will be at least similar.  It's the number of chips that count, NOT the number of LEDs.  If the chips are not visible, you can also look for the cutting points.

Planter_strip_backfeed.jpg

i cut two LOR CCR2 strips in half.  i believe i have the numbering right, i'm just wondering why unit 7 # 2 and unit 8 #1 light up together and the other ports light up normally when then the the sequence plays

I am not sure about the CCR2 but don't they use two unit ID's each such as the Pixie's do, one ID for each port?. In other words your first unit should be unit ID 7&8 and the second should be 9&10. This would explain why they light up together. Unit 7 is currently assigned 7&8 and unit 8 is currently assigned 8&9, so unit ID 8 is copying itself.

Eric, please confirm that you have two 50 pixel strips that were each cut in half resulting in four 25 pixel strips, and that you have one of these strips on each of the two outputs of each of your two controllers.

Like Mr P, I don’t know the CCR2 specifically, but I would suspect it more closely resembles the CCP controller than a Pixie - which I am VERY familiar with.  I looked last night at the LOR documentation web page and they don’t have the docs for the CCR2 so the rest of this is based on the CCP controller.

The CCP controller can be set up in one of three different modes.  This is set up in the Hardware Utility.  The first is “Legacy” mode which sets the controller to appear as a large number of 16 channel controller IDs.  There is no rational reason to use this mode.  The second is “Dual Normal”.  This is the way I have all of my CCP controllers configured for.  In this mode, each string functions as a separate Unit ID with the second string Unit ID being one higher than the ID you set for the first string.  For example my first CCP is set to Unit ID 21.  The first string is Unit Id 21, channels 1 - 157 (1 - 150 for the pixels and 151 - 157 for the macro channels); and the second string is Unit ID 22, channels 1 - 157.  I’m going to suspect that this is the default for the CCR2 because of the different string length capabilities of the CCR2 that do not exist in the CCR and CCP controllers.

The third mode is “Normal” (if I remember that right).  In that mode, both strings operate with the same Unit IDs, but different channels - string 1 is channels 1 - 157 and string 2 is channels 161 - 317 (again, if I remember that right).

Remember that this is based on the CCP controller and not the CCR2, so it could be different (somewhat or radically).  However with that said,  it may help get you pointed in the right direction.  As Mr P said, this would explain what you are seeing pretty closely.

I have to agree with Jim as there is a lack of docs on the Support page. However, I am basing my explanation off of the Pixie controllers as the CCR2 is a Pixie controller (Pixie 2) and based off of the other Pixie's in the lineup each port has its own ID. So if each controller has two ports (hence Pixie 2) then it should use two unit ID's. I don't know if the new CCR2 uses the Legacy, Normal and Dual Normal modes like the original CCP did.

In any case if you assign unit ID 7 to the first CCR2 then it would automatically assign Unit ID 8 to the second port of that CCR2 and so forth for the second CCR2.

Edited by Mr. P

• The topic was locked