Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16 Setup

Lee2525

Moving into the RGB world and need a little help.  We have a Gen3 Professional Controller with the mini director installed.  We are adding a Pixcon16 to run some RGB decorations we are working on, but I am not sure how to configure the 16 ports of the Pixcon16.  I read the document titled "Introduction to DMX and E1.31" and in that document on page 5 it makes reference to configuring the 16 ports of the Pixcon16 with a LOR unit ID for each port; how?  We are not adding a lot, some leaping arches and some poles maybe with stars on top (depending on time).  

Not looking to run the show over an E1.31 this year and possibly next.  Are there any documents or training resources I can reference?  This will be our second year with LOR running our lights, but it will be the 8th year of having a show; just much improved.  

16 hours ago, Lee2525 said:

Moving into the RGB world and need a little help.  We have a Gen3 Professional Controller with the mini director installed.  We are adding a Pixcon16 to run some RGB decorations we are working on, but I am not sure how to configure the 16 ports of the Pixcon16.  I read the document titled "Introduction to DMX and E1.31" and in that document on page 5 it makes reference to configuring the 16 ports of the Pixcon16 with a LOR unit ID for each port; how?  We are not adding a lot, some leaping arches and some poles maybe with stars on top (depending on time).  

Not looking to run the show over an E1.31 this year and possibly next.  Are there any documents or training resources I can reference?  This will be our second year with LOR running our lights, but it will be the 8th year of having a show; just much improved.  

I’m on my cell so can’t see if you added your software edition to your profile.

Its very easy in S4 and possibly the same in S5

Since you already have T least one controller with a unit ID and assuming your pixcon 16 will be the next controller.

Whatever your previous controller unit ID is .,,

connect the pixcon to your computer via the HS adapter or you can try the plain black adapter that came with your pro controller.

Open HU and it should find your new pixcon 

bottom left corner- change unit ID from 1 (factory setting by default). Note I do not have a pixcon so if your pixcon has dip switches you will have to set a dip switch to be able to change the unit I’d. Once it is changed leave that alone. 

Now select the change unit I’d and select the proper new unit I’d according to your controller. ( if your current pro controller is set for unit 1 then the pixcon will be unit 2 or higher)

Now select the “refresh in the top center of that page and you should see the controller and the new unit ID (ensure you are not refreshing the comm port on the top left or you will be chasing your comm port)

If above worked close HU

Now open SE and a sequence (this is time to make your Master Channel Config)

Once you have a working grid and if your original controller is showing up.

Right click in the last channel from the first controller.

select “insert device below”

I always select “add as a group”

Device type LOR if in an LOR network 

Just follow the screen. You can select the pixcon 16 from the drop down.

Once you have done it correctly it will populate under your original controller.

JR

Hi JR, gave this a shot tonight and it is not working.  The Pixcon16 is not appearing in the Hardware Utility.  I can see it in the Network Preferences and i believe i have set the 16 ports of the Pixcon16 board to Unit ID numbers 3 thru 19, but it is still not showing up in the Hardware Utility.  

Any other thoughts on this from anyone??  Will work on this more this weekend.  Thank you all again for your input and assistance.  

The initial setup of the Pixcon16 must be done via the ethernet connection. If you connect directly to your rs485 adapter (LOR network)initially it will not be found. Connect it directly to your ethernet connector and perform all the initial setups then connect to your rs 485 connector if you want to use on a LOR network.

9 hours ago, Lee2525 said:

i believe i have set the 16 ports of the Pixcon16 board to Unit ID numbers 3 thru 19, 

It would not be Until IDs 03 to 19 - it would be Unit IDs 03 - 12.  Remember that the Unit IDs count in Hexadecimal and not Decimal.  Therefore if you assign the Pixcon 16 to Unit ID 03, the 16 strings would appear as Unit IDs 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11,  and 12.