Light-O-Rama Forums

Receiving Unit Options for P10 Panels

MGoBlue102

1 minute ago, PKingRoch said:

Or perhaps the P10 scroller kit.  So, I could do this:

ShowTime Computer -> e1.31 -> BBB -> P10 Scroller kit -> P10s

I just want to be able to control the matrix from my sequences with the ShowTime Computer.  It wasn't clear to me that the FPP actually would do this; act as a E1.31 receiver.

As I'm using Pis rather than BBB, I can't comment on the specific interface devices for the BBB.  As I understand it, the performance of the Pi is better than the BBB.  Using the ColorLight offloads a lot of the CPU load of driving the P10 panels from the Pi resulting in better performance.  That part I have obvserved.

BTW, I recommend going with FPP version 2.0 (officially still in Alpha) rather than 1.10.  If you use a Pi 3B+ you MUST use 2.0.  I would suggest reading this post on the FPP forum:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8795.0.html

and then this one:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,9175.0.html

Yea, the first one is massive, and some parts of it you can just skim through.  If you decide to go the ColorLight route, there are a couple more topics you need to read.

That's the thing.  I use Miip so visitors can choose the song they want to hear next.  As far as I know, Miip only works with LOR ShowTime, so I'm still using that to run the show.  I just want FPP to be a E1.31 slave and add it to my network.

So this will work - ShowTime Computer -> e1.31 -> BBB -> P10 Scroller kit -> P10s

Correct?

If so, I need to start ordering.

I also use MIIP so am somewhat locked into LOR (and don't really want to have to learn something different anyway).

Yes, your model works as far as I know.  As I said, I'm using Pi 3Bs rather than BBBs so I can't comment on the interfaces between the BBB and the P10s.  However in the Pi world, it would go like one of these:

LOR PC -> E1.31 -> Pi 3B running FPP in bridge mode -> PiHat -> P10 panels

or

LOR PC -> E1.31 -> Pi 3B running FPP in bridge mode -> raw gigabit ethernet -> ColorLight receiver card -> P10 panels

I have done both and prefer the ColorLight approach.

If you want to talk to me, PM me a phone number.

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

LOR PC -> E1.31 -> Pi 3B running FPP in bridge mode -> raw gigabit ethernet -> ColorLight receiver card -> P10 panels

OK- so where did you order your ColorLight card from, and which one did you get 5a-75B?

Also, what is the gigabit USB adapter you found that works well - I'm going to try and get an order in for this stuff and build it.  If it doesn't make it in time for this year, I'll get to it next year.

Thanks!
Paul

I have many different P10 panels and have done this a few different ways.

Although color light cards are great I think it's overkill for your small tune to sign. 

My smaller P10 panel that's similar to what you're going to build is running off of a pi 3B and a matrix adapter.

If you do want to go the route of a color light card you can buy your P10 panels and color light card from Ray Wu. 

( make sure you buy the 8th scan p10 indoor for best compatibility)

Although Dan likes to say that the beaglebone is the best way to drive the P10s directly with an octoscroller or use a Raspberry Pi with a color light card.

17 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Although Dan likes to say that the beaglebone is the best way to drive the P10s directly with an octoscroller or use a Raspberry Pi with a color light card.

Yep.   :) 

For a small sign like that, a PocketScroller is also an option:  https://www.tindie.com/products/dkulp/pocketscroller-led-panel-cape-for-pocketbeagle/?pt=ac_prod_search

For "newbies" to the world of P# panels, I would suggest a BeagleBone based thing (BBB+Octo or PocketBeagle+PocketScroller) and get STANDARD indoor style 1/8 scan P10's or 1/16 scan P5's.   Learn how to get FPP running (bridge mode, e1.31, Panels setups, etc...) with that.   If you outgrow that, then consider a Pi3B+ with colorlight.  

You may be tempted to get "outdoor" panels.   They will work with the Beagles (not with the Pi+MatrixHat).  However, the outdoor panels are a bit harder to configure with a bit of trial and error (no standards).  They are also VERY bright which is likely not what you need/want for a nighttime display.  For the most part, the standard indoor panels are easier to get working for someone not familiar with them.

Anyway, get the "hat/cape" kind working first as a learning exercise.  Then consider the ColorLight.   Everything you do for the cape/hat HAS to also be done for the colorlight setup.  The colorlight then adds an addition set of networking things, another panel setup program, etc... It really is a full superset of what you need to know for the direct attached cases.  

So, PocketBeagle+PocketScroller+USB ethernet and I can drive indoor P10s with E1.31?

Just trying to get my list complete :)

9 minutes ago, PKingRoch said:

So, PocketBeagle+PocketScroller+USB ethernet and I can drive indoor P10s with E1.31?

Just trying to get my list complete :)

And good quality SD card and 5V power supply.  

Dan, correct me if I’m wrong, but with that setup, he does NOT need the USB to Ethernet adapter (I’ve never played with a BeagleBone).

28 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Dan, correct me if I’m wrong, but with that setup, he does NOT need the USB to Ethernet adapter (I’ve never played with a BeagleBone).

Pocketbeagle doesn't have any type of networking built in.   It does require SOME sort of networking, either a USB->Ethernet or USB Wifi.  

10 minutes ago, dkulp said:

Pocketbeagle doesn't have any type of networking built in.   It does require SOME sort of networking, either a USB->Ethernet or USB Wifi.  

Thanks.  I did not realize that the BeagleBone does not have a built in network connection. As I said, I’ve only played with Pi boards.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Thanks.  I did not realize that the BeagleBone does not have a built in network connection. As I said, I’ve only played with Pi boards.

The normal beaglebone's do, but the PocketBeagle doesn't.  

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm working toward the Pi with a matrix hat for this setup.  I've placed an order through the Renard page for Ron P's matrix hat, but after a week, I haven't heard anything about that order.  In fact, Ray's panels will be here from China tomorrow and I ordered those after the matrix hat.  I've reached out to the paypal email I Sent the money to for the purchase as well as the Renard contact us page, but no replies.  I know it's a busy vacation month, but does anyone have any pointers on what may be going on with them?

I looked at the CFL matrix hat, which appears to be identical to the on Renard one, but they want $25 for the hat and $15 to ship it - that's more than the darn pi shipped.

Any pointers on where I can get a matrix hat if this falls through?  I'm not afraid to solder.

Thanks!
Paul

2 hours ago, PKingRoch said:

So I'm working toward the Pi with a matrix hat for this setup.  I've placed an order through the Renard page for Ron P's matrix hat, but after a week, I haven't heard anything about that order.  In fact, Ray's panels will be here from China tomorrow and I ordered those after the matrix hat.  I've reached out to the paypal email I Sent the money to for the purchase as well as the Renard contact us page, but no replies.  I know it's a busy vacation month, but does anyone have any pointers on what may be going on with them?

I looked at the CFL matrix hat, which appears to be identical to the on Renard one, but they want $25 for the hat and $15 to ship it - that's more than the darn pi shipped.

Any pointers on where I can get a matrix hat if this falls through?  I'm not afraid to solder.

Thanks!
Paul

pixelcontrollers.com?

1 hour ago, PKingRoch said:

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see a Matrix Pi Hat on pixelcontrollers.com, just falcon boards.

oops, you are right!  there is a second source for PiHats, have you checked the P10 thread?

On 8/13/2018 at 1:29 PM, PKingRoch said:

I just blanked out starting that read and ordered from CFL.

Thanks!
Paul

Those Crockett folks are good people. Thats where i got my hat from.

On 8/13/2018 at 5:51 AM, PKingRoch said:

Thanks!
Paul

The hat you're getting from Crockett will come soldered. As far as Renard goes, Deans number is on the top of the page, call it, he will answer.