Light-O-Rama Forums

Receiving Unit Options for P10 Panels

MGoBlue102

Looking for opinions on receiving units to run P10 panels.  I am now aware of Colorlight but was curious if others may be using other product and if anyone is using any product available in the US.  It seems dealing direct with China is never the quickest experience.  When I have an idea, I need to work on it right away.  Seems most distributors of LED products and components are in China and have 2-3 weeks as a norm on shipping.   Found a California company on Ebay selling the Colorlight product but still for some reason a one week turn around.  Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.  Thanks.

The other receiver card people are trying out is a Linsn card.

I HIGHLY recommend that you read this thread over on the Falcon forum.  It's massively long (334 posts as I type this), but a huge amount of information.  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6871.0.html

I bought my first ColorLight card via Amazon and it took a month or so, and the other two via ebay from a link that was posted in the above FPP thread.  It also took weeks.  All three came from China.

Update.  Just moments ago I learned about other sending and receiving products under the Nova Star brand name.  Going to be checking it out shortly.  Found some nice folks in Florida that deal with this professionally.  Olympian LED is the name of the company.  I am trying to absorb as much as I possibly can in order to have this P10 thing figured out before the holidays.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Update.  Just moments ago I learned about other sending and receiving products under the Nova Star brand name.  Going to be checking it out shortly.  Found some nice folks in Florida that deal with this professionally.  Olympian LED is the name of the company.  I am trying to absorb as much as I possibly can in order to have this P10 thing figured out before the holidays.

depending on how much information you are looking and where in NC you are, I moved back here two months ago and brought both P10's with me.

• Thanks 1

I ended up doing just that over the weekend but that was a fail.  I think my soldering botched it up possibly.  That hat required me to put the pins on and I don't know how sensitive it is but all I can get it to do is light up the red bulb of each panel using the built-in tests of fpp.  At this point if the soldering is bad then there is nothing I can do with that card now so I ordered a bonnet which comes already assembled.  I will be testing that out next weekend.  I also will be testing out the concept of running Cat6 from an LOR controller straight to a color light receiver via Cat6 and running the panels off the receiver.  Trying to figure out if LOR software or X lights will be the way I go this year.

4 hours ago, jerry72 said:

Why not get a raspberry pi and a matrix pi hat? That is what i use.

I ended up doing just that over the weekend but that was a fail.  I think my soldering botched it up possibly.  That hat required me to put the pins on and I don't know how sensitive it is but all I can get it to do is light up the red bulb of each panel using the built-in tests of fpp.  At this point if the soldering is bad then there is nothing I can do with that card now so I ordered a bonnet which comes already assembled.  I will be testing that out next weekend.  I also will be testing out the concept of running Cat6 from an LOR controller straight to a color light receiver via Cat6 and running the panels off the receiver.  Trying to figure out if LOR software or X lights will be the way I go this year.

Just so you know a color light receiver CANNOT be run from an Lor controller.

It sounds like you need some help understanding how this stuff works before you go ahead and spend any more money. 

There are many different ways to run P10 panels these days it all depends on your needs and the size of the P 10 display that you're going to build. 

I'm not certain yet that an Lor controller will not talk to the receiver.  I have not seen anyone on here mentioned that they have already attempted such and that it would not work.  As with any receiver, they except their data through an input ethernet and send out the data to the panel using a 16 pin hub75.  Just a theory still but the Lor controller would act as a sending unit to begin the process.

Just now, MGoBlue102 said:

I'm not certain yet that an Lor controller will not talk to the receiver.  I have not seen anyone on here mentioned that they have already attempted such and that it would not work.  As with any receiver, they except their data through an input ethernet and send out the data to the panel using a 16 pin hub75.  Just a theory still but the Lor controller would act as a sending unit to begin the process.

unless you are using a LOR pixel controller, the AC stuff sends an RS485 signal and the P10's are E1.31.  Two different communication protocols.

7 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Just so you know a color light receiver CANNOT be run from an Lor controller.

It sounds like you need some help understanding how this stuff works before you go ahead and spend any more money. 

There are many different ways to run P10 panels these days it all depends on your needs and the size of the P 10 display that you're going to build. 

This particular Matrix is going to be 4 x 7.  56 panels total.  It needs to be synchronized with other components and sequenced.  It will be the display for video signal only.  It will display the video of certain songs while my singing faces do the singing and narrating.

1 minute ago, caniac said:

unless you are using a LOR pixel controller, the AC stuff sends an RS485 signal and the P10's are E1.31.  Two different communication protocols.

Of course I am using pixcon controllers and even pixie.  It's still all just a theory at this moment. I have not been able to find any posts showing where anyone on these forums have completed this type of setup so I have no way to know just yet if it would truly work.  BTW, I sent you a PM the other day but never heard back from you yet.

If you're running 56 panels you're going to need a beaglebone black and an octoscroller or a color light card run from a Raspberry Pi. 

There's a ton more information that you need to decide which direction to go and you're not going to find it here on the Lor site.

You need to be searching your options on the Falcon Christmas website to get your information. 

4 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

If you're running 56 panels you're going to need a beaglebone black and an octoscroller or a color light card run from a Raspberry Pi. 

There's a ton more information that you need to decide which direction to go and you're not going to find it here on the Lor site.

You need to be searching your options on the Falcon Christmas website to get your information. 

Got the BBB/Octo ordered last week.  It is coming from Australia so should be here next week or so.  Planned on toying with that option as well.  Right now, I would be happy to just get one panel to do what I ask it to do.  Once I know I can successfully talk to a panel using xlights, fpp, LOR or anything else that I learn about, then I will tweak getting an entire matrix to run.

25 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Of course I am using pixcon controllers and even pixie.  It's still all just a theory at this moment. I have not been able to find any posts showing where anyone on these forums have completed this type of setup so I have no way to know just yet if it would truly work.  BTW, I sent you a PM the other day but never heard back from you yet.

never got it, try emailing at chet68845@gmail.com

The beaglebone set up can run the panels fine but I'm partial to using the color light card with a pi because it runs the panels at a higher refresh rate which gives a better-looking result. 

You might benefit from getting on a zoom session with somebody with some one-on-one. 

2 minutes ago, caniac said:

never got it, try emailing at chet68845@gmail.com

Sorry, I did not PM, I texted you to your mobile.

Just now, MGoBlue102 said:

Sorry, I did not PM, I texted you to your mobile.

Was having a hell of a time installing any FPP on the pi 3 b+.  Ended up using a beta version from what I can tell.  It is a 2.xxx version.  Anyhow, got that part to work so I could at least communicate to the pi via internet however still never got the panel to successfully run any sort of test.  

1 minute ago, caniac said:

didn't call you from my mobile, called from the house line.

Oh, ok, the home phone probably does not have text msg.  :lol: .