Light-O-Rama Forums
MGoBlue102

Receiving Unit Options for P10 Panels

13 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

No I would never recommend trying to use a switch even if that Pi has a gigabit connection. 

First off the switch is going to cost more than a USB 3.0 to gigabit adapter.

Second the traffic coming out trying to talk to the color light is going to go everywhere and load down the network. 

Wi-Fi is an option if the fpp is going to be running as a standalone or as a slave.

I 100% agree with everything Ed said.  I only mentioned it as an option - not necessarily an option I would recommend.  I already told you how I'm doing it.

3 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

It really sounds like we need to do a zoom session to answer some of your questions.

This is how I've helped k6ccc Chet and a few others.

Do you have a microphone or a webcam that you can use on your computer?

Ed's been a great help to me and the zoom sessions allow him to see what I am doing or not doing.

9 P5 panels running off a matrix Pi cap, not a single issue.

Jumping into this thread here because I'm trying to understand my options.  I want to do this:

LOR Show Computer -> E1.31 -> X -> P10

I'm looking to solve for X and I need help.

I'm getting dizzy reading so many different sites and many of them are not up to date.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm looking to create a scrolling text/tune to sign.  I was going to do this with Boscoyo matrix panels, but I received a bad run of the panels and it ruined my pixels.  Now I'm entertaining the idea of P10s instead.  The original matrix was going to be approx. 8' wide by 3' tall - I don't need anything that large going with P10s.  I will probably look to drive 3 or 4 wide by 2 high.

Thoughts?

TIA

Paul

Paul, for the most part, at this point, X will either a Raspberry Pi or a BegleBone running Falcon Player (FPP).  The Pi or BB will either directly drive the P10 panels with a daughterboard (name depends on which board you are using), or by having FPP send ethernet data to a ColorLight receiver card which in turn drives the P10 panels.  Both methods work.  Personally for both my 4W x 3H P10 panel and my 3W x 2H P5 panel I am using Raspberry Pi 3B computers running FPP that is driving ColorLight receivers boards.  I don't know about the BB computers, but the Pi 3B ethernet connection is 10/100 Mbps only and the ColorLight REQUIRES gigabit.  The solution is a USB to gigabit adapter on one of the extra USB ports on the Pi.  Some such adapters don't work, so ask which one to get if you go that route (it may be listed earlier in this tread as well).  Also note that the Pi 3B+ does support gigabit ethernet, but you don't really want to have the Pi to ColorLight network traffic on the same LAN that your E1.31 traffic is on, so you likely will still want to add a second ethernet adapter.

BTW, like your plan, I also primarily will use my P5 and P10 matrix panels as my Tune To signs.

One last thing.  The other way to drive the P10 matrix is to take video out of the computer and deliver that to a ColorLight Sender card.  That then sends ethernet to a receiver card which drives the panels.  In LOR you use a video media file instead of an audio file.  If you are going to run real video, that may be a better option.

Thank Jim.  So the FPP software is working in bridge mode across the wired ports?  I don't want to use the wireless.  ColorLight receiver card - that's different than the octoscroller I was reading about earlier with the BBB. This is the 5A-75 card?   Do you have links of how to interface with that?  I assume it isn't E1.31, and the Pi/FPP is the interpreter for that protocol.

The driver will be sequences from my showtime computer - no video.  What's a good USB gigabit port to get for the Pi?

Oh, wait, you said daughterboard.  So I could use an BBB/octoscroller for this and skip the ColorLight and USB gigabit connection?

Or perhaps the P10 scroller kit.  So, I could do this:

ShowTime Computer -> e1.31 -> BBB -> P10 Scroller kit -> P10s

I just want to be able to control the matrix from my sequences with the ShowTime Computer.  It wasn't clear to me that the FPP actually would do this; act as a E1.31 receiver.

Yes, the FPP is operating in bridge mode.  I am using the built in ethernet for my E1.31 network and a USB to gigabit adapter to drive the 5A-75 ColorLight.  Correct on FPP translating the E1.31 data into the raw ethernet data (it's not TCP/IP) for the ColorLight.  That part of the hookup is brain dead simple.  The hardest part is configuring the ColorLight.

The BeagleBone uses the Octascroller while the Pi uses a PiHat (of one variety or another).  If you are using a ColorLight, you don't need either one - although I am powering my Pi by way of a PiHat from Crockett Fantasy of Light.

BTW, as I am learning how all this works, I have both my P5 and P10 panels hanging from the ceiling of my family room so I can test stuff on the actual panels.  Very handy!

6 minutes ago, PKingRoch said:

I just want to be able to control the matrix from my sequences with the ShowTime Computer.  It wasn't clear to me that the FPP actually would do this; act as a E1.31 receiver.

FPP can control that and run your show, it's all in how you set it up.  I have one FPP in Master mode and two P10's (in slave/remote) mode that connect to my RGB/LOR controllers.  LOR is running in DMX mode and everything else is E1.31.

1 minute ago, PKingRoch said:

As I'm using Pis rather than BBB, I can't comment on the specific interface devices for the BBB.  As I understand it, the performance of the Pi is better than the BBB.  Using the ColorLight offloads a lot of the CPU load of driving the P10 panels from the Pi resulting in better performance.  That part I have obvserved.

BTW, I recommend going with FPP version 2.0 (officially still in Alpha) rather than 1.10.  If you use a Pi 3B+ you MUST use 2.0.  I would suggest reading this post on the FPP forum:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,8795.0.html

and then this one:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,9175.0.html

Yea, the first one is massive, and some parts of it you can just skim through.  If you decide to go the ColorLight route, there are a couple more topics you need to read.

That's the thing.  I use Miip so visitors can choose the song they want to hear next.  As far as I know, Miip only works with LOR ShowTime, so I'm still using that to run the show.  I just want FPP to be a E1.31 slave and add it to my network.

So this will work - ShowTime Computer -> e1.31 -> BBB -> P10 Scroller kit -> P10s

Correct?

If so, I need to start ordering.

I also use MIIP so am somewhat locked into LOR (and don't really want to have to learn something different anyway).

Yes, your model works as far as I know.  As I said, I'm using Pi 3Bs rather than BBBs so I can't comment on the interfaces between the BBB and the P10s.  However in the Pi world, it would go like one of these:

LOR PC -> E1.31 -> Pi 3B running FPP in bridge mode -> PiHat -> P10 panels

or

LOR PC -> E1.31 -> Pi 3B running FPP in bridge mode -> raw gigabit ethernet -> ColorLight receiver card -> P10 panels

I have done both and prefer the ColorLight approach.

If you want to talk to me, PM me a phone number.

PM sent - thanks Jim!

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

LOR PC -> E1.31 -> Pi 3B running FPP in bridge mode -> raw gigabit ethernet -> ColorLight receiver card -> P10 panels

OK- so where did you order your ColorLight card from, and which one did you get 5a-75B?

Also, what is the gigabit USB adapter you found that works well - I'm going to try and get an order in for this stuff and build it.  If it doesn't make it in time for this year, I'll get to it next year.

Thanks!
Paul

I have many different P10 panels and have done this a few different ways.

Although color light cards are great I think it's overkill for your small tune to sign. 

My smaller P10 panel that's similar to what you're going to build is running off of a pi 3B and a matrix adapter.

If you do want to go the route of a color light card you can buy your P10 panels and color light card from Ray Wu. 

( make sure you buy the 8th scan p10 indoor for best compatibility)

Although Dan likes to say that the beaglebone is the best way to drive the P10s directly with an octoscroller or use a Raspberry Pi with a color light card.

17 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Although Dan likes to say that the beaglebone is the best way to drive the P10s directly with an octoscroller or use a Raspberry Pi with a color light card.

Yep.   :) 

For a small sign like that, a PocketScroller is also an option:  https://www.tindie.com/products/dkulp/pocketscroller-led-panel-cape-for-pocketbeagle/?pt=ac_prod_search

For "newbies" to the world of P# panels, I would suggest a BeagleBone based thing (BBB+Octo or PocketBeagle+PocketScroller) and get STANDARD indoor style 1/8 scan P10's or 1/16 scan P5's.   Learn how to get FPP running (bridge mode, e1.31, Panels setups, etc...) with that.   If you outgrow that, then consider a Pi3B+ with colorlight.  

You may be tempted to get "outdoor" panels.   They will work with the Beagles (not with the Pi+MatrixHat).  However, the outdoor panels are a bit harder to configure with a bit of trial and error (no standards).  They are also VERY bright which is likely not what you need/want for a nighttime display.  For the most part, the standard indoor panels are easier to get working for someone not familiar with them.

Anyway, get the "hat/cape" kind working first as a learning exercise.  Then consider the ColorLight.   Everything you do for the cape/hat HAS to also be done for the colorlight setup.  The colorlight then adds an addition set of networking things, another panel setup program, etc... It really is a full superset of what you need to know for the direct attached cases.  

So, PocketBeagle+PocketScroller+USB ethernet and I can drive indoor P10s with E1.31?

Just trying to get my list complete :)

9 minutes ago, PKingRoch said:

So, PocketBeagle+PocketScroller+USB ethernet and I can drive indoor P10s with E1.31?

Just trying to get my list complete :)

And good quality SD card and 5V power supply.  

Dan, correct me if I’m wrong, but with that setup, he does NOT need the USB to Ethernet adapter (I’ve never played with a BeagleBone).

28 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Dan, correct me if I’m wrong, but with that setup, he does NOT need the USB to Ethernet adapter (I’ve never played with a BeagleBone).

Pocketbeagle doesn't have any type of networking built in.   It does require SOME sort of networking, either a USB->Ethernet or USB Wifi.  

10 minutes ago, dkulp said:

Pocketbeagle doesn't have any type of networking built in.   It does require SOME sort of networking, either a USB->Ethernet or USB Wifi.  

Thanks.  I did not realize that the BeagleBone does not have a built in network connection. As I said, I’ve only played with Pi boards.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Thanks.  I did not realize that the BeagleBone does not have a built in network connection. As I said, I’ve only played with Pi boards.

The normal beaglebone's do, but the PocketBeagle doesn't.  

So I'm working toward the Pi with a matrix hat for this setup.  I've placed an order through the Renard page for Ron P's matrix hat, but after a week, I haven't heard anything about that order.  In fact, Ray's panels will be here from China tomorrow and I ordered those after the matrix hat.  I've reached out to the paypal email I Sent the money to for the purchase as well as the Renard contact us page, but no replies.  I know it's a busy vacation month, but does anyone have any pointers on what may be going on with them?

I looked at the CFL matrix hat, which appears to be identical to the on Renard one, but they want $25 for the hat and $15 to ship it - that's more than the darn pi shipped.

Any pointers on where I can get a matrix hat if this falls through?  I'm not afraid to solder.

Thanks!
Paul

2 hours ago, PKingRoch said:

So I'm working toward the Pi with a matrix hat for this setup.  I've placed an order through the Renard page for Ron P's matrix hat, but after a week, I haven't heard anything about that order.  In fact, Ray's panels will be here from China tomorrow and I ordered those after the matrix hat.  I've reached out to the paypal email I Sent the money to for the purchase as well as the Renard contact us page, but no replies.  I know it's a busy vacation month, but does anyone have any pointers on what may be going on with them?

I looked at the CFL matrix hat, which appears to be identical to the on Renard one, but they want $25 for the hat and $15 to ship it - that's more than the darn pi shipped.

Any pointers on where I can get a matrix hat if this falls through?  I'm not afraid to solder.

Thanks!
Paul

pixelcontrollers.com?