Light-O-Rama Forums
CKSedg

Need Help configuring PixCon16

Yes, exactly the same!  I have a cable plugged directly into the ethernet jack on the computer.

On the controller the green light is steady and the red light is blinking.  The three jumpers are all on the LOR side.

44 minutes ago, CKSedg said:

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1147:490e:f090:8e4f%5(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.48(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

If you have DHCP enabled, where is the 192.168.0.48 getting assigned.  The computer should be looking for a DHCP server, and if you are direct connected from the computer to the Pixcon, there is nothing to operate as a DHCP server (unless the Pixcon will - never played with one).

One other thing you can try from a command prompt.  Type Ping 102.168.0 50 and let us know if that fails or responds.

BTW, what OS are you running?

Running Windows 10.

PING: transmit failed. General failure.  (repeated four times)  I think you meant 192, not 102 at the first of the numbers, correct?

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If you have DHCP enabled, where is the 192.168.0.48 getting assigned.  The computer should be looking for a DHCP server, and if you are direct connected from the computer to the Pixcon, there is nothing to operate as a DHCP server (unless the Pixcon will - never played with one).

One other thing you can try from a command prompt.  Type Ping 102.168.0 50 and let us know if that fails or responds.

BTW, what OS are you running?

Your on the right track k6ccc.  What's happening is when you unplug the ethernet from your system, because your DHCP, your computer can't grab an IP so its defaulting to 169.254.142.79 (an IP range that gets assigned by default when a network card can't get an IP). 

You need to go into network setting and hard code the IP address of the computer.  Get it off DHCP.

it shows your problem very clearly on the third screenshot of the document you posted.

I changed it to read "Adapter IP:192.168.0.10"  Still get the same error message.

1) there is a computer screen down by your clock.  Right mouse click that select "Open Network & Internet Settings"

2) In the Settings window, click on "Change adapter options" in the middle of the screen.

3)In the Network Connections window, right mouse click your ethernet and select Properties.

4) In the Ethernet Properties window, select "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click properties.

5) Change the Radio button from "Obtain and IP address automatically" to "Use the following IP address".

IP address: 192.168.0.48

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

6) Change the radio button from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses"

Preferred DNS : 192.168.0.1

Alt DNS : 205.171.2.25

7) Click Ok and close all windows.

Then try again.

Made all the changes and check them twice.  Still same error message when trying to configure.

post another doc with the errors like you did before.  we have to be close.

Since you have made all these changes to the computer have you restarted the computer?

I will restart, then try.  If it still doesn't work, I'll post the error messages again.

28 minutes ago, CKSedg said:

Running Windows 10.

PING: transmit failed. General failure.  (repeated four times)  I think you meant 192, not 102 at the first of the numbers, correct?

Yes, I fat fingered it.  Should have been 192.168.0.50.

In the document you posted it says you are using a router?

I'll have to take a look at this tomorrow unless someone else can help...dinner time!

I'm sorry---no!  I forgot to change the radio button to "Direct Connection" before taking the screen shot.  But either way, it doesn't work.

I'm running an older board PixCon16 than you.  Luckily, I was able to get the same one as you during the spring sale.  I'll hook it up tomorrow and see if I get the same problem with the same card as you.

Thank you very much.

My son is a computer guru and is coming tonight to see what he can do with the IP address and connection.  He doesn't know anything about Light-o-Rama, so maybe between the two of us we can figure out something.  I will post again either way.

Good people on this forum!  Thanks so much.

Well, my usually very reliable son didn't show up tonight, so I'm still seeking any help I can get, since he won't be able to come until tomorrow night or later.

Thanks!

I just pinged the controller at 192.168.0.50 and got back the following (pinging did not work before):

Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time=2ms  TTL=255

Ping statistics:  Packets" Sent = 4, Received = 4

Still won't come up to configure, however.

I tried mine this morning and I was able to configure it.  The only thing that's different is mine says V2.0.8 and yours says V2.0.9.  Did you by chance try to upgrade the firmware?  Since the firmware is not available on the firmware page anymore, my guess is you didn't.  Wonder why my brand new one with a different firmware is working and yours isn't.  I mean I just opened the box this morning.

Can someone from LOR confirm that 2.0.9 is a valid firmware for a PixCon 16?

The fact that you can ping it tells me that your computer can at least see it and it's asking the board essentially "Are you there?" and the board is responding with a "Yes". 

I hate to ask for more screen shots but can you grab a screenie of your network properties where you set the IP address to the Ethernet on your computer?

We don't have the firmware on the website because people brick their boards trying to update the firmware when they don't need to.

The firmware is not the issue when  you can not connect to the board, it is your configuration/computer/etc. 

People attempt to update the firmware because they think that is the issue with getting connected to the board.  HOWEVER, if you don't have a good connection, the firmware update will fail, bricking the board.

There is no need to update the firmware on a board that has 1.4.8 or higher on V1.0-V1.3 boards, and 2.0.11 for MKII.

No, I have NOT tried to update firmware.  I am trying to follow the step-by-step instructions that I found on this forum.  I can "see" it, and ping it, but it will not come up for configuration.  I just get the error message each time--on two different computers!  Since it's on two different computers and always the same, could it be a bad PixCon16 board?