Light-O-Rama Forums
Bumble

New to LOR and pixels

Hi,

This is my first year with LOR and pixels. The help desk suggested I learn S5 instead of S4.  I notice that most of you who use S5 import various files from preexisting work done in S4. I have no S4 files since this is my first year. Is there a video that shows how to create from scratch in S5. For instance create a roofline and assign channels?  If not I would be greatful for any help. 

The help documents in S5 seem to pertain to S4.  Am I missing something?

I have 1 pixie 8, 2 pixie 16, 1 cmb25 and lots of bullet pixels for a house outline. Most of the outline is put together in pixel runs of 50 and 100. No e1.31, just LOR high speed usb. Just need help starting with S5.

thank you!

I am just getting back to using LOR after being out of things since 2014 myself.  I have not sequenced in S4 even though it has been on one of my computers since it came out (I tried to keep things updated).

I am learning S5 now as well although I don't have any pixels on my display yet, only LEDs so afraid that I may not a big help to you.

You want to get a picture of your house in S5 first so that you can set up the layout of your display.

Open S5, then Tools, Manage Previews.  In the Preview list, make a new preview and name it (something like 2018, my house, etc), then modify it.

In the lower right-hand side, you will see the background tab.  Use it to set image and get a picture of your house into the window.

Once you get the image in you can begin to make props which will be the pixels you will use.  Use Create Prop to bring up the design window and then you give it a name for each prop (such as a door, window, tree, etc).  Select RGB Pixel, then under the shape tab use predefined (such as a window) and put in how many pixels there will be in the window (top, left/right, bottom) and the starting position for control (the point your data will come into the prop).  Then on the right side, you will assign the controller for those pixels in that prop.  Then you drag the prop around the image to resize it to fit a window or whatever.  Then save it.

Then you just make another prop for the next window, roofline, door or whatever is next.

I also do a save in the Preview Design window after a couple of props just to be safe and not risk losing work.

I'm sure that there are people here who can help more with pixels but you should be able to start with this info.  I know it is all greek to me as well after being out of things for so long but I have about 50% of my 288 regular channels stuff built up in the Preview manager so far so things are progressing pretty well for me at this point.  I still have to set up groups for my props as the list is getting longer as I go and I rearrange my display in different patterns each year but all is good so far.  I am looking forward to being able to add pixels to things as well.

Thank you so much!

I have successfully created a preview! I am trying to make sense of the "Channel" section on the prop definition windows in the preview design window.  I have been told to think of a Pixie 8 as having 8 "inputs" not 8 channels.  So using this convention, here is how everything is physically connected:

Here is the controller daisy chain:
Computer -- HS 485 USB adapter -- Pixie 8 --Pixie 16 -- CMB24 -- Pixie 16 --  AC controller

Here is how I have connected the lights to the controllers:
Pixie 8 (unit ID 01) using 3 inputs for the house outline

Pixie 16 (unit ID 12) using 14 inputs (most are 100 pixels each) for the house outline, posts, snowflakes, stars, and arches)

CMB24 (unit ID 35)  8 RGB dumb spotlights

Pixie 16 (unit ID 60)  8 inputs for the remaining stars, snowflakes and the remaining house outline.

16 Channel AC controller (no ID yet) for various LED strings

Now what?

The channel section (far right) in the prop definition window is asking for:
Network - ok this is regular
Unit # - is this the unit ID for my controllers?
Start and end circuit - are these controller inputs, pixels, channels ?
carry over.
So lets say I connect  100 pixel string to input 1 on my  pixie 8.  What should the unit # and start circuit be?  Based on that answer, what would a second 100 pixel string be if connected to input 2 of the pixie 8.

Thank you so much!  I plan to make a screen recording of all this once I get it right!

4 hours ago, Bumble said:

Thank you so much!

I have successfully created a preview! I am trying to make sense of the "Channel" section on the prop definition windows in the preview design window.  I have been told to think of a Pixie 8 as having 8 "inputs" not 8 channels.  So using this convention, here is how everything is physically connected:

Here is the controller daisy chain:
Computer -- HS 485 USB adapter -- Pixie 8 --Pixie 16 -- CMB24 -- Pixie 16 --  AC controller

Here is how I have connected the lights to the controllers:
Pixie 8 (unit ID 01) using 3 inputs for the house outline

Pixie 16 (unit ID 12) using 14 inputs (most are 100 pixels each) for the house outline, posts, snowflakes, stars, and arches)

CMB24 (unit ID 35)  8 RGB dumb spotlights

Pixie 16 (unit ID 60)  8 inputs for the remaining stars, snowflakes and the remaining house outline.

16 Channel AC controller (no ID yet) for various LED strings

Now what?

The channel section (far right) in the prop definition window is asking for:
Network - ok this is regular
Unit # - is this the unit ID for my controllers?
Start and end circuit - are these controller inputs, pixels, channels ?
carry over.
So lets say I connect  100 pixel string to input 1 on my  pixie 8.  What should the unit # and start circuit be?  Based on that answer, what would a second 100 pixel string be if connected to input 2 of the pixie 8.

Thank you so much!  I plan to make a screen recording of all this once I get it right!

Any pixel controller unit ID will be the very next or later Unit ID available. Remember the unit ID's in the pixies cannot be manipulated. They must be set in the order assigned by the software after you assign the first unit ID. 

If you have a pixie 8 at the top of SE it will be Unit ID's 1-8

If you connect another pixie 8 it must be Unit 9, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11

Now if you add a pixie 16 it will start at 12 ect.

AT the end if you add AC controllers the unit ID must start with the next available or later. You can skip unit ID's if you want to add another controller in between at anytime.

JR

Well that is easy and makes sense.  Thankyou!

1 hour ago, Bumble said:

Well that is easy and makes sense.  Thankyou!

If you get stuck configuring shoot me a PM with cell # and good time to call and I will help you

JR

Thanks for our response to this JR!

I need to learn how to add pixels and controllers for them to S5 myself at some point.  I will follow this and other threads to see.

Also interested in any videos for those of us who have never played with pixels yet to help bring us up to speed on adding controllers and basic things with sequencing?

16 minutes ago, beeiilll said:

Thanks for our response to this JR!

I need to learn how to add pixels and controllers for them to S5 myself at some point.  I will follow this and other threads to see.

Also interested in any videos for those of us who have never played with pixels yet to help bring us up to speed on adding controllers and basic things with sequencing?

If you look at your users manual built within SE and follow the practice steps they are very good to help learn.

Youtube - some of the members have tutorials as well.

The main thing is setting up your master channel configuration and building your vis. I’m not using S5 so no help there.

Once you have your vis then you pretty much can tell what your layout will look like.

Janed, I and others share everything we produce even the pixel tree, house outline and matrix. 

Look for the sharing threads and reply within to receive.

JR

34 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If you look at your users manual built within SE and follow the practice steps they are very good to help learn.

Youtube - some of the members have tutorials as well.

The main thing is setting up your master channel configuration and building your vis. I’m not using S5 so no help there.

Once you have your vis then you pretty much can tell what your layout will look like.

Janed, I and others share everything we produce even the pixel tree, house outline and matrix. 

Look for the sharing threads and reply within to receive.

JR

Thanks.

I have never used S4 at all even though I do have it on my show computer.  I last sequenced with S3 back in 2013 (or so :rolleyes:) before I had to stop with things.  Now I am getting back into this and have had others say to not even bother with learning S4 since I am starting out pretty much from zero with things.  Although I do see your point in referencing the help in S4 so I guess I better fire up my show computer and take some time to see how that works somewhat.

Right now I am building my preview in S5 and assigning channels in it for my "regular" AC channels and LOR working network to get things changed over to that.  I have 288 channels with lots of blow mold props to build in S5 first and then I will take a look at pixels but since I am now retired due to health and forced to live on SSI, I may not get to using pixels anytime soon.  I do have many thousands of dollars of LEDs to use though and can make a "relatively" good show with them for now.  I am also the only person who is doing any kind of animated lighting display within 50 miles and the folks around here loved it when I could do it so looking to try and get it going again if I can!

Plus I like to change my display layout from year to year to make things interesting.  In S3 and the older LOR sequencing, it was not that hard to chop and change things for a new display.  I can see that pixels will cause me a new set of things to consider with it although the groups function and making new previews has a great capacity to help with that once I get further into things with S5. 

Here is a link with a video of my progress and issues.

For the record:
Dell latitude e6430 running windows 7
S5 sequencer v 5.0.18 Pro license

Superstar sequencer 60 CCR v 5.0.18

Pixie 8, (2) pixie 16, CMB 24, CBT 16
LOR HS usb adapter

Looks like the video stops before you get to the issues...

Matt

Sorry, I did not realize the video cut out.  So I decided to use music from a different album and superstar successfully pasted the instant sequence into the sequencer.

The first song i tried gave the following error after exiting superstar "There was a problem processing the response from superstar:  An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 4, position 190"

Both songs were used from my itunes library.  Perhaps I am naming the files incorrectly?

Thank you in advance

Are you adjusting the bitrate on your songs to contant bit rate of 128 before sequencing .

Send me your email assy on PM and I will send you my instruction document. It pertains to my singing face sequences however I discuss what you need to do to set up Your mp3’s With audacity which is a free download

JR

14 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Are you adjusting the bitrate on your songs to contant bit rate of 128 before sequencing .

Another way that we do it is to use a .WAV file for sequencing then use the mp3 at the 128 bit rate for your show.You will never have issues with the .WAV file jumping around during sequencing.

SPaschall

Thank you!  I will do this. 

Since I have put things away for awhile, I just picked them back up and I feel (quite a bit) like I am starting from scratch. I have a full preview in S5 containing all of my planned eventual props. I was reviewing where I left off (I actually had completed my preview), and it dawned on me that the physical attributes of the entire display is required to be figured out in advance to adequately map to a network. I still have my house pictures with Sharpie markers in various colors outlining areas with which I intend to outline (windows, roofline, column trim boards). It was meticulous and had all measurements in inches, and all ribbons down to the pixel, where they would be cut, etc.

Example: I intend to outline my windows with pixel ribbons (CCR's). One of my windows will contain parts of two (2) ribbons ("CCR's") to maximize my ribbon usage, and I calculated every window dimension using "lines unconnected" to maximize CCR coverage and to calculate the exact pixel counts (e.g. divide each window or roof line length by 4 to calculate WS2811 CCR pixel counts). Then, I carefully mapped every single side of a window or section of a roofline to a given network (I have Aux A through Aux D), ensuring to stay around a 2400-pixel population for each LOR enhanced network. Then I created groups of each window side into a given window, or a given set of roofline. This times lots of windows and lots of rooflines (a total of 22 ribbons). What a pain! I relied on the "Channel Summary" function to tell me when I overlapped a previous circuit count, and it was very good at doing that - but it doesn't tell you if you skipped a set of circuit count.

I mapped all planned props, but I will not have anywhere near the props be a physical reality this year. I guess if one grew slowly through the years, adding to a preview wouldn't be too bad, but if you have a lot of props that involve complex utilization of pixels (ribbons, bullets, nodes, whatever) that are cut and soldered for maximum efficiency, this is a tedious exercise which requires one to map the props to a physical network laboriously.

Anyone safely use more than 2400-pixels in a LOR enhanced network? With the latest generation of Pixie 8, Pixie 16 and Pixcon16 boards, can one exceed the 2400-pixel "recommendation"?

Also, with the latest LOR sale I purchased the plug-n-play LOR 10W Flood set. When you map dumb RGB's in S5 Preview, do you use circuit 1 thru 3 for the first flood; 4 thru 6 for the second flood, and so on until you reach the eighth and final flood using circuit 22 thru 24?

Thanks.