Light-O-Rama Forums

Extend distance from controller to pixel string

CampbellHouse

I'm planning on adding additional RGBs to this year's show - Buying Pixie8 to control 8 50 pixel snowflakes I bought from Boscoyo - Issue is I want to put them up on the front of my house but there is no place close for me to mount the controller. How can I extend the distance between the controller and the pixel strings. They will be 5v strings and at the furthest point it will be about 30 feet.

Please let me know if this is possible and how I would accomplish this.

Thanks

If you have the latest version of pixie8 you should be good to go.

The new ones will reach 50’ from controller if I remember correctly.

I will look at the manual tomorrow and post back

JR

Thanks JR - Is that in standard LOR network or using E1.31 or does it not matter?

Tried to find these answers online but couldn't find details.

Appreciate the help - AGAIN!

How's the weather in AL - Sure it's much better than IL - supposed to get snow this weekend!

Pixies are in enhanced LOR network. Not E1.31

The weather is a roller coaster ride here. It can’t make up its mind which brings those fun twisters out of the sky.

WilL look at manual for your previous question after I return home in a couple hours.

JR

Also keep voltage drop in mind since you are using 5v. 5v is less forgiving then 12v over distance so be sure to use a good full copper wire, not copper clad or aluminum, and I would recommend a 16 gauge wire for the extensions.

Ok- here’s your best answer thus far.

Controller to prop

Version 2 pixies, they are the ones with the dip switches.

12v = up to 50’

5v = about 1/2 of that so about 25’

That is quoted from DevMike in a post I believe was last year or earlier this year. I wrote that on one of my boxes.

That is in optimal conditions.

i need at least 60’ to my lowest peak

and about 100’ to my center roof line peak, that’s my problem deciding what to do. First I have some window frames to build.

did I mention I hate heights! Even in a JLG manlift, I have had 1 roll away due to my slope and another rip 1/2 of my roof lights down when the wind was 45 mph plus. Rocked the lift and lost power. Excess lights were inside basket to prevent strain and when it rocked it pulled 1/2 lights down.

Hope this helps a little.

JR

The table of distances is here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/pixel-extensions/

FYI:  I am the person who tested and created that table.  It is on the conservative side.  If you ask for support and are over the distances we will point at the table and tell you 'too far'.  However it was my experience that I could usually get longer distances.  YMMV

Thanks for that table.  I promptly bookmarked that one along with the network speeds page, license levels comparison page, documentation download page, and the software and firmware download pages.  I can't tell you how many times I have pasted those various page links into messages here on the forum.

• The topic was locked