Light-O-Rama Forums

House Shopping

Light_addiction

You know how hard it is to house shop as a light enthusiast.  Have to make sure there is enough room for my display, that the streets can handle the traffic, and mainly that there is no HOA.  Geez I want a new house but this is soooo hard. 

I may be doing the same thing soon. Right now my house is perfect for lights even if my yard is small. I currently have an HOA but have no issues with them.

I have looked at a few nice houses and just thought dang it's going to take ages to update my sequences if I can even get it to work. So yes I know the feeling.

had that feeling in reverse, when we moved to Nebraska I had to choices.  1) move to somewhere where all my props would fit but no one would see the show.  or 2) majorly condense my show and make use of what little yard I had the best I can.

5 hours ago, caniac said:

had that feeling in reverse, when we moved to Nebraska I had to choices.  1) move to somewhere where all my props would fit but no one would see the show.  or 2) majorly condense my show and make use of what little yard I had the best I can.

And your decision was?

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

And your decision was?

Number 2, mamma found a house she loved in a location she loved so I made 5lbs fit in a 4lb bag! :)   That is where I got the idea for the P10, had a four foot square window that needed something.  First year we centered our inside Christmas tree but it didn't have enough pop.  At the OKC mini Mark Maranda brought a four panel P10 setup in addition to other goodies.  Spent an hour talking to him and his wife about how it work and needed to be setup.  How I have two of them! :)

I currently live in a smaller house, but live on a 1 acre lot.  My house is at the back of the property, so it's all front yard for me.  I have a ton of display items and I'm afraid if I get a yard any smaller, I will have to sell some of the display items.  I really don't want to move mainly cause where I live is perfect for my show.  It's outside the city limits, but not too far out so that no one comes; it has a 6ft ditch at the front so no worries of someone trying to just grab and go with any items; most neighbors have known me for all my life and some are family.  I just need a bigger house.  Decisions, decisions.

My first house (which I sold at the end of January 2018) was perfect for our display. We had a church parking lot across the street so all the viewers would park there and watch. The house itself was a smaller house and since we just had a baby we needed more space.

Our new house is twice the size, the lot/house design are good for the display BUT the streets arent nearly as good for the traffic. Also we have an HOA now, but they do have a Christmas light contest. Except all the houses that have lights for the contest are very very small scale. The craziest thing I saw was a house with maybe 5 blow molds and their house outlined with lights. Keep in mind I run multiple controllers and over 10,000 lights.

So yes I understand where you are coming from, but with a newborn and knowing this will be our last home purchase, I wanted a good neighborhood that would be quiet and good for the family.

My next house will be a ranch home if only so I can reach the roof and put part of my display up there.  And it will be on a cul-de-sac.

Our next door neighbors just listed their house - had over a dozen showings yesterday.  My friends were joking with me on FB, saying, "But do they know about CHRISTMAS?"  They weren't sure if my decorations would be seen as a perk or a detriment. *lol*

So is there any chance of doing an addition to your existing house, so that you can stay where you are?  That seems like it would be the best solution.

2 hours ago, Phantomtech said:

So is there any chance of doing an addition to your existing house, so that you can stay where you are?  That seems like it would be the best solution.

There is not.  The house sits only a few feet from the property line in the back and left of the house, and the septic tank are buried on the right front part of the house.

6 hours ago, Light_addiction said:

There is not.  The house sits only a few feet from the property line in the back and left of the house, and the septic tank are buried on the right front part of the house.

Major Bummer!!!

• The topic was locked