Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Mounting Net Review - HC verus Boscoyo

mpageler

There are several sources for HDPE netting/mesh for making pixel matrixes.     HolidayCoro  sells PixNode Net and Boscoyo, ChromaMesh.

I used PixNode last year and recently buy some ChromaMesh.   I though I would share  a comparison of the two.

1) Material bulk and weight.  I checked with both companyies on material thickness.  Boscoyo said .041, HC  .039 so basically insignificant.  The connecting chanels (square sides) channels on PixNode is wider, maybe 25 percent more.  If cutting up full 4' x 8' sheets into smaller pieces, it might matter to you.  For PixNod, you can cut straight along the connecting cannels and still have plenty of "bulk" around the holes.  Do this on  ChromaMesh and the material to the side of the hole is pretty thin.  May nbt matter for strenght but to be safe, I left a little bitof  the connection tab to the side of each hole.

2) Sizes.  HC sells 2 and 3" spacing in black and clear.  Boscoyo has 1, 2, 3 and 4" in black and white.  I understand that black is the most UV resistant over time. Bocoyo also sells 4' x4' 2" pieces.  I go a 2' x 8' piece of 2" spacing but no longer see it available. It's just not a full sheet cut in half.  There is a wide border on all four sides of the half sheet. 

3) Cost, HC does charge a fair amount more than Boscoyo.   Black 2"....$65 versus $50.  Black 3" $49 verus $34.     The 1/2 sheet 2" at Boscoy, $25.

4)  Both brands hold pixels in place firmly. 

5) Shipping.  Besides the noraml added weight shipping cost for PixNode, HC also has a shipping surcharge which I assume is for "oversized" which in my opinion is a shiping scam. In the old day, use to see oversized charges a lot but basically is a thing of the past now. .  Boscoyo does have online automated shipping and have to wait for a "shipping cost invoice" after you place your order.   I don't like shipping cost supprises so ask for a shipping estimate before committing to buy. 

So based just on produce, I would  go with PixNode because of the extra material but if cost is an iisue, go with Boscoyo.  both will  do what it's intended for.  I love this stuff. Last year I made 4 pixel x 31 pixel tree trunk wraps.  So quick to setupg and take down and easy to store, just rolled it . This year, making for tree turnk wraps and a 4ft x 6ft matrix.   Since Boscoy had 2x8 pieces of 2" spacing, I got some just in case I wanted a scrolling sign down the road. 

Mpageler if your looking for more Pixel node net I have 2-pcs from Holiday Coro   3inch spacing   black still in box never used  $40.00 for both plus Shipping   Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Boscoyo will hold up far superior then HC. My Boscoyo pixel strips held up to the extreme nasty Oregon coast, where at the 6 strips i had from HC got stretched way out.

There is no comparison between the two products for me. I have purchased quite a bit from both.  All of my HC stuff has been sold or given away with the exception of a pixnode net.  Close to 2,000 feet of the Boscoyo strip, Monster Matrix and tons of coro props.  No complaints.  Boscoyo offers great product and great service.  I haven't had the same experience with HC.  I plan on picking up a 1000 ft roll or two of the 12mm mounting strips for new Mega Tree build this year.  Boscoyo is the original, HC does nothing but copy Boscoyos stuff...

Too bad Boscoyo does not have the spacing I need for my rebuilt pixel tree - something between 1.25 and 1.5 inches (my preferred target is 1.333).

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Too bad Boscoyo does not have the spacing I need for my rebuilt pixel tree - something between 1.25 and 1.5 inches (my preferred target is 1.333).

Have you contacted Boscoyo regarding this?   I thought James used to do custom orders

I did not know that, so no, I have not contacted them.  Thanks for that tip.

Hey UncleDan,

Thanks for the tip.  I contacted Boscoyo and sure enough, James said that he can do custom spacing.  I will order some as soon as I receive my replacement credit card (previous account used fraudulently last Friday so card killed by my bank).

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Hey UncleDan,

Thanks for the tip.  I contacted Boscoyo and sure enough, James said that he can do custom spacing.  I will order some as soon as I receive my replacement credit card (previous account used fraudulently last Friday so card killed by my bank).

That seems to be a common occurrence these days. My debit card was compromised right before Christmas. Thief lives very close to me. Luckily the Xbox1 and games were out for delivery when I contacted Best Buy so we got refund as soon as they received their goods. (intercepted before delivery, strange how they can do that)

Just awaiting the yahoo IP address confirmation before my friends can make the arrest. They had MD previously for same charge, this time its a felony due to dollar amount, over $500. 

I was lucky that thieves are not very bright since they are local and not overseas. 

JR