Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR software/harware Controlling a DMX moving head w/LEDS

Obejohnknobe

23 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Jim,

I have questions, where do you terminate the LOR network since so many cards are daisy chained and some have 3 ports and with what (rj45 with a 120 ohm resistor)?  This could be part of the reason my several of my 5v 100 pixel strings would hang up at the 50 pixel mark before it would continue.  I did power inject it and most of my cables were less than 30' from the card.

At the end of the data circuit, the easiest way is to build a RJ-45 plug with a 120 ohm resistor between pins 4 & 5 (LOR standard) and a second resistor between pins 1 & 2 (DMX standard).  Plug it into the unused connector on the last controller on the network.  If you desire to terminate the USB to RS-485 adapter end of the circuit (a lot of people don't), you can do what I did.  I have done it two ways.  One is to have the cable going out to the yard terminate on an RJ-45 "biscuit jack" that has screw terminals rather than insulation displacement connectors.  It's easy to ass a resistor across the pairs with the screw terminals.  Then run a short jumper (about a foot in my case) from the biscuit jack to the USB to RS-485 adapter.  The other way is to build a little pigtail with a female jack on one end with the resistor built in to a male plug.  Plug the male into the USB to RS-485 adapter and the cable from the yard into the female.  Both methods work.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Jim,

Is this what you are talking about??? 

John

That discussion talks about terminations and includes a picture near the end of what I was talking about with the little pigtail method of terminations.

The LOR USB485B is a bit of a special animal in that it is an active device that DOES allow two outputs.  there are also some third party RS-485 splitters that actively split the RS-485 signal.  I've never used one as I have always just run my LOR circuits in a single run.

1 hour ago, Santas Helper said:

Oh I understand. Just didn't want anyone to think duplicating his effects with a couple hundred dollars lights may not turn out the same. I have those same dreams, with a music background, just not as much the money part. ?

Well I didn't understand!  Phewy.  You ruined Christmas Tom!  Damn I was getting juiced up here.  haha

1 hour ago, Septon said:

Well I didn't understand!  Phewy.  You ruined Christmas Tom!  Damn I was getting juiced up here.  haha

Oh by all means, go for it. Merry Christmas. ?

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 10:21 PM, Santas Helper said:

Oh by all means, go for it. Merry Christmas. ?

nah I already told the kids you ruined it.  haha

Jim,

I am now fabricating cable to terminate and changing from an RJ45 to XLR connector.to get my DMX on the LOR side.  I am a little confused going from rj45 to xlr and need to know if it is pins1 and 2 on the xlr connector and it is going to pins 4 and 5 to the rj45 jack that need connecting?

John

On 3/13/2018 at 1:54 PM, Obejohnknobe said:

Hey Septon,

I am just a NOOB at this hobby and this is my 5th year of experimenting with the lights with music.  I like the idea of highlighting some of my static props as well as emphasizing the music with these.  I saw this youtube video a few years back and have dreamed of these lights to augment my other lighting. 

John

He sells those lights and domes on his website.

He gave a 2-hour tutorial on one of our Wednesday meetings and said that you absolutely can't get the effects like he has with the LED lights they have to be the high output halogen. 

Hi Septon,

Yes, I knew the "brightness" was going to be a issue, if I wanted it like his.  But I not.  I am looking at just some highlights and "dancing" lights.  The neighbors would not like something like this so I  needed it to be toned down and chose the smaller and "less bright" ones to see if this is what I want.  Start small and then go big if this is suitable for my area.

John

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there are any videos of the much lesser cost moving heads. I’m interested in running some and I understand they won’t be anywhere near as bright as the $1000 lights. Just wanted to see some in action. Like Obejohninobe said I’m just looking for some added effect I’m not trying to blind airplane pilots as they fly over head. 

Yes, you can from purchase from EBay ($50 each) as well as Amazon from UKing and Alibaba.  I purchased mine from UKing on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-60W-RGBW-Mini-Beam-Spot-Moving-Head-Stage-Light-DMX-Bar-Party-DJ-Disco-Light/222675453897?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. 

Had Philip Massey help me out in how to program them as well as reference info on terminating them.  He was a TREMENDOUS help will all of it.  By the way, it is fun to play with!!!

Hope this helps.

John

Also forgot to mention, it is 4 LEDs white, red, green and blue at about 60 watts and plenty bright enough for what I am doing with them.

John

On 4/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, Wygantmb said:

Does anyone know if there are any videos of the much lesser cost moving heads. I’m interested in running some and I understand they won’t be anywhere near as bright as the $1000 lights. Just wanted to see some in action. Like Obejohninobe said I’m just looking for some added effect I’m not trying to blind airplane pilots as they fly over head. 

Here's a compilation of clips from my moving heads. You can find the link to them in my post above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssf2hef9b22qf8o/Headscomp 2018.mp4?dl=0

Hey Septon,

I am just a NOOB at this hobby and this is my 5th year of experimenting with the lights with music.  I like the idea of highlighting some of my satic props as well as emphasizing the music with these.  I saw this youtube video a few years back and have dreamed of these lights to augment my other lighting. 

Edited by dansamy
Sorry about the duplicate

Hey Septon,

I am just a NOOB at this hobby and this is my 5th year of experimenting with the lights with music.  I like the idea of highlighting some of my static props as well as emphasizing the music with these.  I saw this youtube video a few years back and have dreamed of these lights to augment my other lighting. 

John

I live too close to the airport for this. 

The ones that he has are very expensive but you can buy teh cheap ones on eBay for about $50 with 4 leds in it.  Just bright enough to do what I want them to do.

11 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

The ones that he has are very expensive but you can buy teh cheap ones on eBay for about $50 with 4 leds in it.  Just bright enough to do what I want them to do.

I LOVE his display, but I definitely can't get away with lights that bright shining straight up into the flight paths of low flying aircraft taking off or landing. Which is perfectly fine by me. I don't want my display to get too big or too out there. Living where I live helps keep me in check. 

Try this one and look around on Amazon too.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-RGBW-Mini-Beam-Spot-Moving-Head-Stage-Light-DMX-Club-Party-DJ-Disco-Lighting/222675281330?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649  The major problem I have with these is there is no cheap covering for it.  Alibaba (Ray Wu) sells the case for $200 each and it is not worth it unless you buy the expensive lights.  However, I have a trick up my sleeve and am building one out of flexible acrylic to see if it will work.  Right now, $20 for the case if it goes right.

John

• The topic was locked