Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR software/harware Controlling a DMX moving head w/LEDS

Obejohnknobe

Hello everyone!

I just recently purchased 2 DMX moving heads with LED lights.  This is for a background prop to highlight/emphasis portions of the music and props. They have up to 11/13 channels for use with the last 2 being for reset and change. Channels 1 thru 6 are to control the up/down left/right to include course and fine adjustments, number 7 is shutter opening/closing for the leds and channels 8 thru 11 are the colors (w/g/r/b).   The research I have found is they can be used with the falcon cards but I thought you can use them with the LOR cards since they can convert to DMX.  Can anyone enlighten or point me in a direction on the card and how to use the LOR 4.3.26 Pro software to utilize it before I go and purchase a falcon card.  When searching the forums I am either searching incorrect wording or looking in the wrong spots in the LOR forums, Youtube or google.  Can anyone assist?

Thank you!

John M.

You absolutely can drive your DMX moving heads with LOR software.  You MUST define a DMX network, and in SE use DMX intensity.  I'm sorry, but I have S5 on this computer so I can't tell you exactly how to do that in s4, but I know there is a setting to do so.

• Thanks 1

I just bought  two also. They are fun to play with.

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.WV8KOy&orderId=88605653203095&productId=32792886786

Be interested to see yours.

I made an RJ 45 to 3pin XLR cable using pins 4,5 and 6 (if memory serves) and plugged them into a second LOR RS 485 adaptor. Configured them as dmx universe and set them up as two groups of 11 channels in S4 sequence editor 4.3.26, added to my existing config and sequences.

If you want the exact details I will have to walk back through it with the SE in front of me. 

Programming is a bit tedious but doable and just consists of setting dmx values from 1 to 255.

For example intensity is fully variable from 1 to 255 on dmx universe 30, Chan 6.

Pan is u 30 Chan 1 0 to 540 degrees, dmx 1 to 255.

Red gobo is u30 Chan 7 value 22 to 31

Green is u30 Chan 7 value 32 to 42.

And so on.

Obviously they are not outdoor or in any way weather resistant,  but I am considering removing the fans, and hanging them under my eaves out of the weather.  We'll see if they even last until Christmas. They are getting a lot of use just playing with them.

• Thanks 1

Phil,

THANK YOU!!!  You were pretty quick in your response and it is very appreciated!  I have some clear acrylic domes on order to cover them for weather issues.  I would like to get with you on the walk back of the SE when my XLR connectors arrive at the end of the week and can then make the connections.  BTW, what card are you using to do this?  Lastly, I tried to use the link but it wanted an ID and password to Aliexpress.  I got mine off of EBay for less price with the same company on Amazon  https://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-RGBW-Mini-Beam-Spot-Moving-Head-Stage-Light-DMX-Club-Party-DJ-Disco-Lighting/222675281330?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

or off of Amazon with the same company https://www.amazon.com/U`King-Moving-Light-Disco-Lighting/dp/B073PBHGYJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520963180&sr=8-1&keywords=60W+RGBW+Mini+Beam+Spot+Moving+Head+Stage+Light+DMX+Club+Party+DJ+Disco+Lighting

John

SANTA'S HELPER,

HHhhhmmmm, helps if I had put the "moving heads" on the topic.  LOL!  I had tried DMX to LOR software, DMX LEDS to LOR Software but very limited.

Thank you!

John

• Like 1

Hmm, guess I was logged in to my account when I captured the link from my orders page.

Here it is again,   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-pieces-lot-LED-Inno-Pocket-Spot-Mini-Moving-Head-Light-60W-DMX-dj-7/32819851782.html?spm=2114.search0204.3.219.4f3e3d91POTUry&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10065_5711320_10151_10344_10068_10130_10324_10342_10547_10325_10343_10546_10340_10548_10341_10545_10084_10083_10618_10307_5711220_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_10627_10626_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620_10810_10811_5722415,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_3_ppcChannel&algo_expid=f83ed4a8-4436-4bb3-9bf7-afb51b3ac569-34&algo_pvid=f83ed4a8-4436-4bb3-9bf7-afb51b3ac569&priceBeautifyAB=0

Mine have a white LED and colored and patterned gobos. The true RGBW lights were still significantly more expensive at the end of last year, when I was looking. 

No controller card being used. Direct from the RS 485 into the head.

When you get your cables made, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Thanks for the offer Phil!  I sure will send you a PM when I get the xlrs in and have the rj45 jacks ready to go for the programming.  I just found the connection pattern on line with everyone's help at http://www.creativelightingdisplays.com/uploads/DMX-DOC.pdf

You were right on pin outs for the rj45 and depending on whether it is a male or female xlr plug.

John

Oh my.  And now... this is on my list!  I didn't realize something like this could be so readily available.  I like the idea of a housing and using these.  IF I got 4-6... it would completely cover my house.   I have a great over hang in my house... so I could easily put them under the eves in a dome. 

That is a great connection pattern too John.

Would love to see a how too video though of someone getting it to work if someone has it.

Hey Septon,

I am just a NOOB at this hobby and this is my 5th year of experimenting with the lights with music.  I like the idea of highlighting some of my static props as well as emphasizing the music with these.  I saw this youtube video a few years back and have dreamed of these lights to augment my other lighting. 

John

16 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Hey Septon,

I am just a NOOB at this hobby and this is my 5th year of experimenting with the lights with music.  I like the idea of highlighting some of my static props as well as emphasizing the music with these.  I saw this youtube video a few years back and have dreamed of these lights to augment my other lighting. 

John

Yeah I seen that too!  I thought those lights would be mega expensive and quickly dismissed it.  But I see now, it is really a dome over what you linked too.  Just awesome.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Hi everyone,

After some more research, do you have to terminate the DMX universe?  This website http://thedmxwiki.com/dmx_definitions/dmx_terminator

gives all indication you should.  Any ideals/comments?

John

The RS-485 spec states that the network needs to be terminated.  Lots of people get away with NOT terminating their LOR or DMX networks. The simpler and shorter the network, the more likely that you will get away without.  Personally, all three of my LOR networks are properly terminated.

Thanks Jim!  I try to follow the DMX protocol as this is new to me.  You stated the LOR network needs to be terminated, can you expand on this point?

John

2 hours ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Hey Septon,

John

Just in case anyone was wondering. The moving head lights in this video are not the $100 or $200 moving head lights. Just saying...

51 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Thanks Jim!  I try to follow the DMX protocol as this is new to me.  You stated the LOR network needs to be terminated, can you expand on this point?

Both LOR and DMX (data standards) ride over RS-485 (a wiring standard).  The RS-485 spec defines a bunch of technical characteristics such as the number of nodes on a circuit (32), the total length of the circuit (4,000 feet), the types of wire used.  One of those specs is that a circuit is supposed to be terminated with 120 ohms at both ends of the circuit.  There are some videos that show what the data signal does when it is not terminated.  As I said before, many users get away without terminating.  However if you are having odd problems that might be related to data communications, one of the first recommendations is to properly terminate the network.

And yes, although I have never had any problems, I am terminating all three of my LOR circuits At both ends.  But I'm an electronics tech so A) it was easy, and B) I try to follow the standards when possible.

You are right Santas Helper but we can dream!  LOL  This guy's technique show's he has a music background and money..... I think these lights were in the $1000 range when I looked a few years ago.

John

Jim,

I have questions, where do you terminate the LOR network since so many cards are daisy chained and some have 3 ports and with what (rj45 with a 120 ohm resistor)?  This could be part of the reason my several of my 5v 100 pixel strings would hang up at the 50 pixel mark before it would continue.  I did power inject it and most of my cables were less than 30' from the card.

John

34 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

You are right Santas Helper but we can dream!  LOL  This guy's technique show's he has a music background and money..... I think these lights were in the $1000 range when I looked a few years ago.

John

Oh I understand. Just didn't want anyone to think duplicating his effects with a couple hundred dollars lights may not turn out the same. I have those same dreams, with a music background, just not as much the money part. ?