Light-O-Rama Summer Sale Announcement! Read more... ×
Light-O-Rama Forums

Tutorial for creating a S5 Sequencer Preview for Inserting Superstar Effects

A walk thru for importing .lee (real files) creating groups, understanding the grid in Superstar and inserting Superstar Effects into S5.

Alan...

Also for a explanation of groups arrangements watch this video.

• Thanks 1

Alan,

That was a great video. I appreciate all of the time you put into it.  Please don't take it down because I will need it for reference.  I thought i tried most of the things that you did but I must have mis-matched things along the way.  I got the preview that you sent me last week to work.  (I originally downloaded from the email that I get when there is a new post.  That was only an xml link and it didn't do anything) I must have sent you the wrong audio because I noticed the timing was off so I found the correct audio.  I was also able to use the method of importing that you showed in an earlier video.  It worked just fine.  Next I will export the prop files that you made and then import them into my other files.  Thanks again for your help.  Maybe someday i could pay you back somehow.

Frank

Alan, I have tried exporting the props and groups that you have made and then importing them into one of my existing non superstar sequences and that just isn't working.  Since I already have arches in my S5 sequence I had to rename the ones for the fence "FArches" but when I import them they still get confused with the regular arch. The other glitch is that I create the props in the preview and then when I insert the Preview props, the sequence grid is all hatchmarked and I cannot change it so that must be wrong somehow.  Was importing your props what you intended or should I just import the "real visualization" and then create the groups.  Basically follow your video from start to finish but inside my preview with the rest of the props.  I can't believe this wouldn't be simpler.  If LOR is not paying they should because without your help I would have already gone back to S4.   Thanks

Frank,
The group named "Arches and Fences IMPORT FROM SUPERSTAR" is the only group used for Inserting Superstar Effects from existing Superstar .sup sequences. The other groups within that Preview are just there to show you how I was able to create the Arches and Fences IMPORT FROM SUPERSTAR group. The other groups are available and should work, but if they are causing conflict with other props in another Preview then you could just use the "Arches and Fences IMPORT FROM SUPERSTAR" group just for Inserting SS Effects, and do all your other sequencing with your other groups you created in S5. Export that group from the Preview you downloaded. and import it to another Preview.

In my case that's what I do, I have an "IMPORT FROM SUPERSTAR" group for inserting existing SS sequences into S5 or for using it to sequence new SS effects because it uses a grid in SS I am used to. I have setup other groups for the same props and use them both for SS (new effects- different grid in SS) and Motion Effects in S5 Sequencer. In the example below, that's what it shows;

groups.jpg

The 2 highlighted props are setup to match the "real" files I have in Superstar. These 2 props are used for Inserting existing SS effects into a new S5 Sequence. Since S5 allows for us to use SS or Motion Effects in a Sequence I want to be able to use the .sup files I had created over the years with S4. In the case of the Blade Spinner I also setup 3 additional groups for that prop, they are primarily used with Motion Effects in S5. They can be used to Insert Superstar Effects, but they will be a different grid than what I am used to working with, still do-able.

There is another video on my workflow for rebuilding a Sequence in S5 here.

On a side note, both Matt and Brian had some suggestions about additional info I could have included into the original video. I either forgot to include that info, or didn't know we could do things another way. I am working to update the video to include those suggestions.

Alan...

Alan, So i imported the large group that you created into the preview and then in the sequence i imported the group  and then when I tried to import using the sequence from superstar, it said superstar failed to run.  I tried several times rebooting S5 and SS but got the same result.  So i rebooted my computer.  then the first time i tried to load, the superstar came up with the layout shown in the first picture.  so i tried changing the group layout (horizontal) and i just got one straight line.  so i went back to the original setup and now i am getting the hatched lines shown in picture two and i cannot insert superstar effects.  Do I have to insert a motion row for the superstar effects?  I have a pro license and i checked when i downloaded S5 and it said i was good. 

S5 created grid.png

2018-03-15 21_35_43-Light-O-Rama S5 Sequencer v5.0.18 Pro.png

Posted (edited)

Frank,

When I imported the "Arches and Fences IMPORT FROM SUPERSTAR" group into another Preview, I noticed it didn't actually import the groups that should have been defined in that group, ie. Arches1&2, Arches3&4, etc.

In Prop Design. double click on the " Arches and Fences IMPORT FROM SUPERSTAR " group and check to see if yours did. If it didn't, then set them up again like the picture below. Then try it.

Let me know.

Alan..

groups1.jpg

Edited by default

Alan,  I went back and deleted everything I imported with the exception of the individual props - no groups and then started your video.  What I found was that the gutter props imported wrong even from the ones you fixed - I think.  So i changed them from matrix rectangle and bulbs to lines unconnected.  I even had a universe get switched.  Once I got that fixed I followed your video to make the groups and how they are arranged and it worked. I didn't even have to copy and paste any effects.  I just selected import superstar effect and then when the SS box came up I opened my sequence and then closed it and the SS sequence was imported into S5.  It looks like the prop setup is the most important part of this.  Thanks.  

As I said earlier, I have a 12 X 50 CCR tree and a 16X25 mini pixel tree.  The 12X50 ccr tree has sequences from SS that were imported as shown below.  I have also imported some of them as sub-sequences.  it looks like you recommend making all new sequences in S5.   Do you reccommend that I make all new S5 sequences and then import the SS sequences.  Again  thanks for your help, I would never have figured this out on my own.  

CCR Tree.png

13 hours ago, Frank Bolton said:

What I found was that the gutter props imported wrong even from the ones you fixed - I think.  So i changed them from matrix rectangle and bulbs to lines unconnected.  I even had a universe get switched. 

That is part of the reason for the video, is to bring attention to this so people would check the imported props and not assume they were all was correct, tweaking of the props maybe necessary.

I didn't even have to copy and paste any effects.  I just selected import superstar effect and then when the SS box came up I opened my sequence and then closed it and the SS sequence was imported into S5.

This is one of the tweaks to the video that Brian suggested I include. I knew this was available but completely forgot to add it. Glad you figured it out.

14 hours ago, Frank Bolton said:

It looks like the prop setup is the most important part of this.

If the props are not setup properly, then none of this will work. Once they are then you are off and running and it is very easy to do, and most importantly you will not lose all of the sequencing you have already done in SS. That was very important to me.

it looks like you recommend making all new sequences in S5.   Do you recommend that I make all new S5 sequences and then import the SS sequences.

That's what I did. Once you have all the SS sequencing added, open an older (S4) version of the same Sequence and copy/paste all the non superstar props. Some people have reported that copy/paste is slower in S5 v 5.0.18, but in my tests for just importing  dumb rgb props, and non rgb props copy/paste still works well.

14 hours ago, Frank Bolton said:

Again  thanks for your help, I would never have figured this out on my own. 

Your quite welcome, I didn't figure this all out in one sitting, it took me awhile and there were plenty of "aha" moments.

Alan...