Light-O-Rama Forums

Morphing from On to Off

aidancar

I am new to using superstar and am trying to figure out how to do this: My sequence starts with all of the lights on in my display, I am looking to have a "Wave of black" move across from left to right to turn them all off. I've tried playing around with covering up the beginning of the morph with white but I seem to loose control over how fast that "wave of black" moves across my house. Any ideas?

The best way to do it is to turn the lights on with a morph and have the "wave of black" be the tail of the morph. To do this use the following settings:

Set State 1 Head Length to be the length of the region you are running the morph across. For example, if it spans 50 pixels, then set it to 50.

Set State 2 Head Length to 0

Set the Main Start and End to white, Set the Tail Start to white, set the Tail End to black

Set "Show Entire Head at Start" selected

Set the start and end of the morph to covert the entire display.

The entire display should start out white, then a wave of black should travel across the display

If you want all the lights to be on for awhile before the wave travels across the display, then set them all on using a scene, and have the morph butt up against the scene.

Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks! Worked perfectly! I am using S5 currently and the preview in Superstar showed the effect perfectly. I then closed the superstar popup and clicked that I wanted to save the changes but then when I played it in the sequencer it seems to have removed many of the channels. Ill attach screenshots of the simulation in superstar vs after I insert it into the sequencer.image.thumb.png.da158ba0040404720defa4b0289e3886.png

There is a bug in the sequencer. When playing back stuff from SuperStar It will do RGB lights properly, but it will not playback regular non-RGB lights properly. It should be fixed in the next release.

I might also comment that sequencing grid that you show in the previous reply has the lights around the windows as squares. This works well for some effects, but if you want to do morphs around the windows you would want each window to be a line on the sequencing grid. To do that, in the preview specify the windows as a horizontal or vertical stack.

Good to know, so if I begin sequencing will the effects playback correctly whenever the update is released?

Thanks for the tip with the windows, I didn’t even know that you could morph around them using SS. Are there any comprehensive documents out there explaining the different effects that are possible and how to achieve them?

Yes, the effects will play back correctly in the next release.

Currently there is not a video or document about morphing around windows. If would of course be good for me to make one.

Brian, you area a programming God.  I've hire a lot of programmers in my day, but few match your skills.  I used a few of your SS sequences for Xmas and they were really the hit of the whole display.

Wow, I think that's exaggerating a bit, but glad the sequences were the hit of your whole display!

• 3 months later...
On 3/7/2018 at 5:14 AM, BrianBruderer said:

There is a bug in the sequencer. When playing back stuff from SuperStar It will do RGB lights properly, but it will not playback regular non-RGB lights properly. It should be fixed in the next release.

I might also comment that sequencing grid that you show in the previous reply has the lights around the windows as squares. This works well for some effects, but if you want to do morphs around the windows you would want each window to be a line on the sequencing grid. To do that, in the preview specify the windows as a horizontal or vertical stack.

Hello again Brian, Last night I had downloaded the most recent release of S5 and noticed that all of the single-color props seem to be included in the transition from superstar to the sequencer but all of the multi colored props are left out. Is there something that I now need to modify to include the multi colored props or do you think that this is still an ongoing issue? Thanks!

I know multi-colored strings worked at one time, but I have not tested that for a while. I will look into it later tonight.

• Thanks 1

I found the problem with the multi-color light strings. The fix will be in the next release. Thanks for reporting the problem!

• 3 weeks later...

**Update: It seems the solution in this case is as simple as closing and reopening the sequencer. **

I believe I may have come across another issue. As you may be able to tell, I use a decent amount of morphs in my show haha. They all have been working great since the last update. In this particular case, I noticed that when running two morphs moving from the edges to the center of the display the pixels (rooflines+windows) were not being controlled by the effect in the sequencers playback, while all of the light strings were. To double check everything I opened up superstar and saw in its preview that the pixels were being controlled as expected. This can be seen in the first attached example. 

In the second example, I copy/pasted the effect to another group (From a group with multicolored bushes to one using warm white bushes), opened superstar to detect the new props in this group, saved the changes and got a very unexpected result where it was only controlling the props that had changed from the previous group. This again only seems to happen during playback in the sequencer.

Example 1:

Example 2:

Edited by aidancar
Solution Found

I want to make sure I understand what you are showing. In Example 2, from 0:16-0:22 the two morphs that come from each side seem to be working Ok. Then from 0:22-0:28 there appears to be a different preview and it appears to consist of traditional strings of lights so the fade as a group and so again the morphs seem to be working Ok.

You say "got a very unexpected result where it was only controlling the props that had changed from the previous group."

Are you saying that from 0:22-0:28 there are a lot more props in the preview, but they aren't doing anything?

Sorry for the confusion, but yes the preview seen at 0:22-0:28 is the same preview seen in 0:16-0:22 it’s just as you said from 0:22-0:28 the majority of the props are there but just not turning on as they should be. 

This same problem had happened to me about a week ago on another sequence but I had not thought to restart the sequencer and just skipped that section for the time being. 

I’ll have to double check that other sequence again to see if restarting the program solved that problem.

I would be curious to see first hand what is happening.  Send an email to brian@superstarlights.com and we can arrange a date and time for me to remote into your computer.