Light-O-Rama Forums

Round power cable

Wayne K

Is anyone using the round 18 gauge 4 conductor power cord similar to what H/C has in the 3 conductor. H/C does not have the 4 conductor round and I have done some searching and have found a couple of possibility's. But thought I would ask here to see if anyone has used any and where you got it from. I am wanting to make long cords for my lor floods.

Thanks

Wayne

I've been using 18GA round 4-conductor extension cords (and pigtails) from DIY LED Express for years.  I wouldn't even think of buying them elsewhere. 

They're the same size as what LOR uses for 10w RGB floods.

I also buy the pigtails and extension cables from DIY LED Express.  Lately I make my own, longer cables soldering the pigtails to 18/4 speaker wire.  I think the last time I bought a 500' spoil was on Ebay for about $80.

From the been there, done that department:

If you enjoy problem-free soldering, avoid copper-clad aluminum (CCA) wire, and spend a few cents extra for oxygen-free copper strand wires.

I am using a bunch of 4 conductor speaker cable from Monoprice.com.  The four wires are red / green / black / white.  I use the black for blue and white for +12 when I’m using it for dumb RGB.

1 hour ago, Wayne K said:

Is anyone using the round 18 gauge 4 conductor power cord similar to what H/C has in the 3 conductor. H/C does not have the 4 conductor round and I have done some searching and have found a couple of possibility's. But thought I would ask here to see if anyone has used any and where you got it from. I am wanting to make long cords for my lor floods.

Thanks

Wayne

HC has 4 cond in 5,10,20 +pigtails

Like K6CCC, I  also use the 4 cond speaker wire from monoprice. But I found that it was far simpler, just to use the cables with the W/P  built in.  I even got a few  of the 'T' cables in this series.

Note, the cables (connectors) are only claimed to be compatible with HC strings that have connectors, They work just like wire if in DIY situations where all the connectors are the same..

NOTE to DIYers: be sure to write your matching  string end Colors down.  Always use the same at the controller END, so 'any port' is SAFE to use

On 3/2/2018 at 12:00 PM, k6ccc said:

I am using a bunch of 4 conductor speaker cable from Monoprice.com.  The four wires are red / green / black / white.  I use the black for blue and white for +12 when I’m using it for dumb RGB.

Be careful of speaker wire outside in sunlight.  Wire is NOT UV protected, continues exposure will cause the wire to degrade and fail. Tried this wire (same manufacture) in Florida and it failed the second year  (twice) didn't realize what happened the first time.  May not be a problem for those where the wire is not exposed to direct sunlight.

To be picky, it's the insulation that is the issue, not the wire.  However with that said, yes, most interior wire will not survive long term in the sun, but it will be years.  I have some of the exact wire I was talking about in my year round landscape lighting that has been in service for over five years in the Southern California sun without major issues.  Now most of it is in conduit, but the ends that are in the sun, are still fine.  Other weather can affect the cable as well, so there are lots of things that can degrade the wire.

The wire I found is actually direct burial speaker wire made for outside use and is UV protected.  I have used some on my matrix on my roof from October - March for the past 3 years, and haven't had any issues with the wire itself.  I always check the specs of the wire before making a purchase (size, type, jacket, ratings).  I agree with some of the other comments made about staying away from Copper Clad Aluminum, and protect the connections from moisture and you should be fine.

Thanks for the info everyone. I forgot to check the notify for replies and just seen all the replies posted. I will check these out.

Thanks

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 11:33 AM, George Simmons said:

I've been using 18GA round 4-conductor extension cords (and pigtails) from DIY LED Express for years.  I wouldn't even think of buying them elsewhere. 

They're the same size as what LOR uses for 10w RGB floods.

George

So these from DIY will interchange and work with the lor flood lights? Not sure what you meant by same size. If you meant same physical size or they actually interchange with lor flood connectors.

Thanks

Wayne

George

Thanks for that info. I posted back in November asking about pigtails and connectors that would connect with the lor connectors and no one confirmed any that they would inter change. I bought a bunch of different connectors with the presales that went on. Now I am going to have to rethink what I was going to do with my cabling.

Thanks

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

From the been there, done that department:

Just about everything you buy from either a vendor or fellow decorator has whatever connectors THEY used.  It gets real awkward real fast to have a bunch of different size/style connectors laying around.  Choose your connectors and then stay with those EXCLUSIVELY.  Replace everything else you might have and get rid of everything else.  

In my case, I settled on the 4-pin pigtails and extension cables from DIY LED Express.  I use them on every RGB controller (whether pixels or dumb RGB) and every RGB/pixel prop in my inventory.  It took me about a week to bring everything into compliance, but now I'm no longer held hostage having to use certain props only on certain controllers.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked