Light-O-Rama Summer Sale Announcement! Read more... ×
Light-O-Rama Forums
jlamar

Beta 5.018 still in demo with 4.7 license

Hi 

I was using the 5.016 beta without any problems. It expired. I downloaded and installed the 5.018 beta.   But my 4.7 license not seem to work. It still is in demo. I have tried register online button. does. not help.

Any ideas Thanks 

John Lamar

We can reproduce your issue and are working on a solution...

Matt

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if it was because I'd never actually installed version 4 on this system?  I can try that.

John Lamar

Go ahead and try to reregister.  I think I have found and fixed the issue with your license.

Thanks for posting the screen capture -- that shows a different issue. Make sure your user name and license key exactly match the email you received when you purchased the software. Also make sure there are no trailing spaces, which can sometimes happen when you copy/paste.

I have specifically tested your license key - I know it works with S5.

Matt Brown

Posted (edited)

Hey Matt, I'm also having the same exact problem as John. "Activation Issue 7". Confirmed that I was using the correct name and license key. Also, made sure there were no spaces. Worked fine when I was using 5.0.16.

Doug Hall

Edited by dqhall

Matt, 

I"m sorry but it i still does not work. I double-checked the name license key for spaces/

I would add that the error message changed to this one after Mike said he fixed something about my license.

I think the previous messages was something about my license not covering this version.

I have also unistalled and and reinstalled the software. I would note again that I have never had version four installed on this PC.

Thanks again for your help. I was enjoying the new version. I had gotten all my current tunes updated and was working on some new stuff when the update came out.

I'm sorry, but I still can't reproduce your issue. So here are some alternatives:

1) Go to the LOR store and purchase an upgrade to the PRO version. This will also renew your license for a year.

2) It looks like you are trying to register using the S5 Sequencer, menu option: Help > Upgrade Light-O-Rama. If so, load the LOR Control Panel, right-click the red light-bulb icon in the system tray, and select Upgrade Light-O-Rama from the pop-up menu and try registering from there.

3) Try the Register Offline procedure. You don't actually need a second computer to do this.

Matt

Matt,

I already own the Pro version, so asking us to purchase an upgrade to test beta software is probably not the best professional answer to give. I would hope that you will have this problem isolated and fixed before it's officially released. 

17 minutes ago, dqhall said:

Matt,

I already own the Pro version, so asking us to purchase an upgrade to test beta software is probably not the best professional answer to give. I would hope that you will have this problem isolated and fixed before it's officially released. 

If you already have a Pro license, then no reason to upgrade. However, I am asking you as a beta tester to try other things. If you have time to try #2 or #3 and post the results, that would help narrow down the problem. Thanks for trying S5!

Matt

Matt,

I had success using option #3, although a little convoluted but registration was eventually successful. 
Option #2 gave the same issue as before "Activation Issue 7".

Thank you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dqhall said:

Matt,

I had success using option #3, although a little convoluted but registration was eventually successful. 
Option #2 gave the same issue as before "Activation Issue 7".

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback!

Please also remember that a wierded up registry (which can happen when switching from one version to the other) can also cause issues.  If you are going back to S4 from S5, the best thing you can do is a FULL uninstall FIRST, then a registry wipe, and finally install S4 again.

Going back and forth can cause the same issue when going to S5.  If you start to get weird errors, full uninstall, reg wipe, reinstall should fix it.

If you have attempted to install both S4 and S5 at the same time (which you absolutely should not do), you may have screwed up windows and placed yourself into what we developers call 'DLL Hell'.  When that happens, Windows is confused about what is and is not installed, what versions of libraries go with what etc.  Unless you are an expert with editing the Windows Registry you'll end up re-installing Windows.

--

Another reason this could be happening is because of caching.  If it is (and while I doubt this is the issue, I can say for 100% it is not), this would be the first time someone has reported the issue.  Some ISPs (and even software you have loaded on your computer) attempt to 'speed up' your web access by saving a web page closer to you (say on your ISPs server, or even your local machine).  Rather than go to our server to get a current result, they instead send the result they saved from before.  

Possibly in this case, something may have cached the answer our server gave before I made the change.  I made the change and now the server is responding correctly, HOWEVER for whatever reason your computer is still using the old (cached) response.

The caching could very well be happening within Windows itself.  Remember a shutdown in Win 10 is NOT a shutdown, it is a sleep.  You may think you have rebooted, but your registration result is still 'in memory'.  Be sure you do a start/power button/RESTART if you are using Win 10.

---

In any event, if anyone else experiences this error, please let us know and we can try to do a remote session.  Since we can't duplicate it on our development lab machines, we need to look at it from yours.

Hello,

I was also able to register via off-line registration. So all is  good.

As for Registry issues, as I said before,  I"ve only run Version 5 on this PC but did un-intstall and re-install to try and solve the problem.

Happy to be back in business.

Thanks for the help.

John

On 3/10/2018 at 9:03 AM, DevMike said:

Please also remember that a wierded up registry (which can happen when switching from one version to the other) can also cause issues.  If you are going back to S4 from S5, the best thing you can do is a FULL uninstall FIRST, then a registry wipe, and finally install S4 again.

So out of curiosity, why doesn't the software versions use different keys in the registry to avoid this type of conflict?  It is sounding like different versions use the same keys.  Just asking because when I write software, I make sure that I use different keys for different versions so my clients can have more than one version to co-exist without issue.  Maybe something I am not understanding about how LOR software works. :-)

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

So out of curiosity, why doesn't the software versions use different keys in the registry to avoid this type of conflict?  It is sounding like different versions use the same keys.  Just asking because when I write software, I make sure that I use different keys for different versions so my clients can have more than one version to co-exist without issue.  Maybe something I am not understanding about how LOR software works. :-)

As you know being a developer, corrupted or mis-registered libraries (or corruption there of) are the number 1 cause of software crashing and burning with no good reason.  I'm also sure that at one time or another you've placed yourself into "DLL Hell" (invalid registration data in the registry) while developing.

Our libraries (DLLs, OCXs, etc) need to be available system wide and are therefore put into System32.  System32 can only hold one version at a time.  I know of several Windows hooks that S4 Visualizer uses , that pretty much require our library be somewhere where Windows can easily find it.  Blue screens are never fun.  DLL Hell is worse.

Then as you know, Libraries also need to be registered (which is where the registry comes in).  Since we have the DLLs in System32 (where they should go), that means we don't have to worry about invalid registrations being made and the registry being futzed up.  Windows will nicely manage itself.

Support wise, we know that if something should go south on a users machine an uninstall/reinstall cycle WILL clean up those libraries,.  Whereas if multiple versions are out there, an uninstall may not completely clean things up (different install folders, someone deletes the wrong one by hand, etc).  If we get DLL Stomped by some other unruly software (which happens pretty frequently), an uninstall/reinstall will fix the issue, reverting the library back to it's proper state. 

System32 is also usually hidden by windows to keep it away from the prying fingers of users.  It's one less thing we need to worry about.

Good info Mike.  Yea, DLL Hell :)   I remember that from third party DLL suppliers that didn't do a good job of managing their DLLs.   And that included Microsoft from time to time.  I guess I have been lucky to not have much of that as I have kept use of 3rd party DLLs to a minimum.   And whenever I created my own DLLs or OCXs, I would create a different name for different versions of my program so things wouldn't get confused in Sys32.

While on the subject, I hope people realize that tho they may be having trouble with trying to run 2 versions of the same program at one time (something I also don't do with LOR and also would not recommend), the software is VERY stable in my opinion for something as complicated as it is.  Folks should cut some slack about this.  It's great stuff.