Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon Fuses

Cheski

You should be able to pick up mini blade fuses at local auto parts store, etc.  As far as I know the fuses are generally rated for 32v.  The fuse only needs to be rated for the voltage you're running through it.  Higher voltage rating on the fuse is fine  

26 minutes ago, uncledan said:

You should be able to pick up mini blade fuses at local auto parts store, etc.  As far as I know the fuses are generally rated for 32v.  The fuse only needs to be rated for the voltage you're running through it.  Higher voltage rating on the fuse is fine  

Actually, it is not fine.  An low voltage fuse has a lower voltage drop.  (I learned this from troubleshooting an HP2100 mini that someone had replaced a 30A fuse with a 250V version. The 5V rail frequently dropped below 4.75)

OTOH running a higher voltage on a Low voltage fuse is also a hazard as the melt is too slow and can actually sustain an ARC.

18 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Actually, it is not fine.  An low voltage fuse has a lower voltage drop.  (I learned this from troubleshooting an HP2100 mini that someone had replaced a 30A fuse with a 250V version. The 5V rail frequently dropped below 4.75)

OTOH running a higher voltage on a Low voltage fuse is also a hazard as the melt is too slow and can actually sustain an ARC.

My bad I guess for not clarifying in greater detail..   My point was using an automotive fuse rated for 32v DC is fine if using for 5v,12,24v, etc for DC applications.  As far as I know mini blade fuses are generally used for low voltage applications. 

29 minutes ago, uncledan said:

My bad I guess for not clarifying in greater detail..   My point was using an automotive fuse rated for 32v DC is fine if using for 5v,12,24v, etc for DC applications.  As far as I know mini blade fuses are generally used for low voltage applications. 

agreed.  Never seen a blade fuse (all 3 sizes) for other than <=32V

Some of the older boards use 3AG fuses, care to  not use 230V fuses in the wrong places.

• The topic was locked