Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Insteon with the LOR program

Dale R

Is there any way for the LOR program to turn on an insteon product? I hate running extension cords over a driveway in the winter where we have snow and ice and delivery vehicles coming in. That way, during the program, an insteon device could go on and a preprogrammed unit could then go on.

55 minutes ago, Dale R said:

Is there any way for the LOR program to turn on an insteon product? I hate running extension cords over a driveway in the winter where we have snow and ice and delivery vehicles coming in. That way, during the program, an insteon device could go on and a preprogrammed unit could then go on.

What are you trying to turn on power to controllers or start a show .

I have some of the old DASHERs that I use as stand alone. I do use the light linkers, but they only turn on a 16 unit LOR. I have just a few lights that I want to go on from the stand alone DASHER in the center of our driveway where the cars stop to see my light show. Next Christmas I wanted to have just a few things go on right beside their car. This past winter I ran outdoor extension cords as high as I could, but they brushed the UPS truck's roof and I was always worried they'd be pulled down.

Insteon  is supposed to respond to some X10 commands. You just need to bridge LOR to the Insteon powerline module

30 minutes ago, Dale R said:

Where is that in which settings in the LOR control panel?

Network Configuration.

In the LOR help (on the Windows programs menu), search for X10

I had a couple X10 devices in mine years ago, but they were very slow.   I ended up using them for more simple stuff like the FM Radio sign that just needed to turn on once (and off once).

I use Insteon to control some static items.  Radio sign, blow molds, etc...

I just use the timer feature in my Insteon Hub.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 7:38 PM, TheDucks said:

Insteon  is supposed to respond to some X10 commands. You just need to bridge LOR to the Insteon powerline module

Uh, good idea, but if he does that, then he needs to be sure and get an OLDER Insteon device that supports X10.  When insteon came on the market, they supported X10 as an upgrade path.  That was over 12 years ago and many new Insteon devices no longer support X10.  Need to check.   In my experience, X10 is not reliable at all.

Richard is right on this.  Insteon was a step up from X-10 and is still sort of a relevant technology.    This may be able to do what you are looking for  (SMARTENIT 5010N ZBPLM).

However, for that cost I would explore light linkers or a WI-FI solution that will be able to respond quick enough to support your blinky-blinky christmas light needs.

• 9 months later...

What I want is during the sequence of lights for the show, I want an insteon module to go on. No LOR's or stand alone devices are connected to this, just part of the sequence of lights for the LOR program. That way I could have lights inside a window go on when set to in the LOR light show program.  Then the non weatherproof objects wouldn't get weather damaged.

Just a heads up on X-10/Insteon.  I've read that X-10 is no longer supported in S5.

And not to start an argument but offer a differing opinion.  I beg to differ on reliability. Even though not perfect, my "home automation" / X-10 / Christmas lighting that I've been running for 40 years is very reliable.  The right equipment makes a huge difference.    I can pull up to my boat docks in the dark after sending a pulse from 100' out.  I can send fireworks up at the stroke of midnight exactly at 12:00pm.  We can hit the button on the built in remote in the car and walk into a lighted garage and house.  The fish are happy since their fed by X-10.   Etc. etc.  The lack of close neighbors preventing interference is a big factor.  But I will admit, the introduction of LED technology has been a pain in the A&^sss.  Noise can be an issue.  Likewise unfiltered UPS's  kill (amplitude) an X-10 system.  But I've been able to eliminate the problems inherent in the  zero crossing technology.  And the companies that have were making advanced X-10 products, at a reasonable price, are sorely missed.  But this is my opinion, not that anybody asked for it.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, Dave Pursel said:

But I will admit, the introduction of LED technology has been a pain in the A&^sss.  Noise can be an issue.  Likewise unfiltered UPS's  kill (amplitude) an X-10 system. 

Yup, agree on all you said.  WITH the right equipment for X10 as you say, like I needed to get one of those 240V plugs that crosses over to both legs of the 120vac so I could get devices to work all over the house.   And things were "reasonably" reliable for many years.   When I moved, I left all that in the prior home and use Insteon in the new home.  So far in 3 years, not a single issue with all LED lighting, etc and really happy with the reliability.

• The topic was locked