Light-O-Rama Forums

2018 Spring Sale

CampbellHouse

Mine got delivered to work today - but I'm on vacation until Tuesday so not in my hands yet...

35 minutes ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

Who gets the WAHOOO award for the last order placed??

The person who doesn't get their order until July.   :)

• Like 1

My order went through at 9:14pm but still no updates so I might be one of the July people lol. On the bright side of things I've already started building my sequences for the RGB floods. I just need to get them here to test them out and see how badly I screwed things up LOL

Interesting that it is over.   I didn't even get an email notification this year.   I got a notice last year about the spring sale.   Is this something that has to be signed up for every year?

As a side note, we have 3 brand new ELLS (not used) from last Christmas that we want to sell.   Bought too many for a project we worked on.

17 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Interesting that it is over.   I didn't even get an email notification this year.   I got a notice last year about the spring sale.   Is this something that has to be signed up for every year?

As a side note, we have 3 brand new ELLS (not used) from last Christmas that we want to sell.   Bought too many for a project we worked on.

It may have went to your junk mail since it doesn’t sound like you frequent the forums. It was discussed almost daily for a month.

FWIW- only signed up once and get mine. 

JR

32 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Like JR, I signed up once (actually twice since I have the announcement go to two separate addresses on different E-Mail servers).  I receive both notices every year for both the spring and summer sales.

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

It may have went to your junk mail since it doesn’t sound like you frequent the forums. It was discussed almost daily for a month.

FWIW- only signed up once and get mine. 

JR

Yea, might sound that way, but did not go to junk folder.   It just didn't come.  I am on here from time to time.  Oh well.  No big loss for me ;-)

We are very sorry to any of you that did not receive our eMail about a sale, or any of the other eMails we may send (which are NOT many). Let us try to explain why it happens: Spam.

Depending on what statistics you believe, somewhere between 50% and 90% (and some say even as high as 97%) of the TOTAL WORLD WIDE EMAIL SENT is spam. One statistic we found said that the total number of spam eMail sent PER DAY in 2010 was 294,000,000,000 (that's 294 Billion with a B ) messages! 

So ISPs have a vested interest in aggressively finding and deleting spam before it travels through their network, or gets stored on their eMail servers. Bits are Dollars, and the less bits sent/stored, the more money saved.

Now when we talk about ISPs, we don't just mean the people you pay for internet service, or even your eMail provider (if it is different). eMail is built on a technology that allows the message to skip through multiple different servers on it's way to you. While that eMail may be addressed to you at hotmail.com, aol.com or some other address, it may have gone through many different servers owned by many different ISPs on it's way TO you. ANY ONE of those servers could examine the eMail, decide it is spam, and throw it into the bit-bucket. 

So, knowing this, we play by a set of rules that 'the internet' has decided is the best practice for sending an email blast:

• Our eMail list is 100% OPT IN. There is no default of being entered onto an eMail list. Even going as far as ordering from us does NOT place you on our eMail list.
  • We are 100% can-spam compliant
  • We use a reputable company that abides by all current rules/regulations and self imposed restrictions for eMail marketing

Want to know what happens? A certain percentage of our eMails are STILL caught by over aggressive  ISP spam filters. The amount of control we have over that eMail once it leaves our server/contact company's server: 0%. 

Aside from checking to make sure you are on the mailing list, unfortunately there is not much else we can do - if anything.

On your end, you may want to double check that our sales eMail did not end up in your 'spam' or 'junk' folder.  You may also want to create a new eMail address with a different eMail provider (there are many that are free) and sign up with that address as well.  Then you will have 2 addresses where we can send the eMail, and it may not be caught.

That's interesting. I signed up with 2 different email addresses and still didn't get the sale email. but I just chalked it up to only being the week before the actual sale. I will sign up with a different email and see if I get the email from the summer sale if there is one

Edited by ovsims

3 hours ago, ovsims said:

That's interesting. I signed up with 2 different email addresses and still didn't get the sale email. but I just chalked it up to only being the week before the actual sale. I will sign up with a different email and see if I get the email from the summer sale if there is one

the 2 sales are typically in april and august so frequent the forum around then and you wont miss it again.

5 hours ago, ovsims said:

You could try going into your email account settings and add the LOR sales email to the know or good list. Sorry I can’t remember what it’s actuallt called. I had to do this with all of my great friends here, for whatever reason 50% was getting through the other 50% was going to junk.

Probably what Mike explained above.

Ive never had a problem with my LOR emails though.

JR

3 hours ago, ericm said:

the 2 sales are typically in april and august so frequent the forum around then and you wont miss it again.

au contraire. you must have missed the big article on the forums front page. it was the headline. I didn't miss the sale I place the first order in record time <30 second to be almost exact. My memory fades. but I didn't get any of the emails. I've pretty much lived in this thread since I joined about a week before the sale. I will have to double check the account settings. I just thought I didn't join the list in time so it was no big deal. it was the other guy who missed the sale

Gezzz have  I gotten to the party too late , 2017 was my first year with LOR I built a controller and had the time of my life ,I was nine years old again. Have I missed the sale ? I am on the email list but got nothing. David

I also have 2 e-mails and did not get an e-mail.  Created a new one this year a few weeks before the sale just to make sure did not miss it.  They both are Hotmail based.  I received e-mails last year.  But, the explanation would explain why did not receive e-mail this year.  Kept checking for the sale to post and did not miss it. Got what I wanted.  Will try g-mail and see how that works. 

Or is there other e-mail providers someone recommends?

Is there anyway to test and see if we are receiving e-mails?  Do not know how often they go out.  Been a while since I received one. 

As a general rule of thumb, I recommend AGAINST: hotmail, yahoomail, and aol.  There is a few others that I can't think of at the moment.  I am a owner or moderator for several large E-Mail distribution lists on various systems, so I get to deal with E-Mail systems that tend to cause problems.  Most of the ISP provided E-Mail systems are pretty reliable, and some are quite problematic.  Of course you don't normally have a choice on those.  I have never had issues with GMail and use it for both personal and work related stuff.  I also have my own domain and run my own mail server (although at the moment, the mail function is running on a commercial hosting company called RackSpace.com that works quite well).  I have both one of my GMail accounts and one of my k6ccc.org addresses on the LOR announcements list and received the sale notices on both.

Ok I definitely used AOL for one. But I think I used Gmail for the second, I could be wrong and I used NetZero. going to add them again. I don't think it will hurt anything

Edited by ovsims