Light-O-Rama Forums

Merry Christmas Sign Ideas

Ralph A

I Would like to add a MERRY CHRISTMAS sign to my display. I do not have a welder this year. Therefore, I was looking for a metal somewhat like re bar that I could bend by hand and attach rope light to it and use black tape to blackout areas where I did not want the light, i.e. between the letters. Yet this way makes it one channel until the end of the light string. I really wanted to make each letter a single channel using LED Rope lights. However I think I am asking to much.

Any Ideas on the type of metal and lights I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Ralph

Some stores sell rope light that is cuttable. This would allow you to have a separate string for each letter. Lowes sells round steel that you could hand bend to make your letters. Black tape and zip ties go along way.

Some people have attached rope light to fencing or chicken wire to make their signs. Do a search on Planet Christmas and you will find several methods to do this. I am cutting my sign from plywood, making 30 inch high letters. I am still debating whether to use rope light to outline each letter or an individual spot, MR16 LED, for each letter.

Denny wrote:

Some people have attached rope light to fencing or chicken wire to make their signs. Do a search on Planet Christmas and you will find several methods to do this. I am cutting my sign from plywood, making 30 inch high letters. I am still debating whether to use rope light to outline each letter or an individual spot, MR16 LED, for each letter.

http://www.lights4christ.com/meshletters.html

I have used JR directions and created a Merry Christmas letters. I plan on putting them on the roof and they look very good. The hard part is finding the vinly coated 1/2 inches mesh. I could only find 25 foot rolls. The templates were laid out very well. I would use the design and then do some minor tweeks after getting them lit and looking at them from 50 feet. I will see if I have any pictures.

I made one about 3-4 years ago with rope light and chicken wire. It turned out pretty good.

Not the best pic, but I don;t beleive I used much if any tape.

Attached files 155030=8938-Merry Christmas Sign.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input. That will get me started in the right direction. Sorry for my delayed response. I've been on vacation, no Internet. Now I better really get busy. Thanks again for the help and good luck with your displays!!!

Ralph