Light-O-Rama Forums

Google Really Does See All

PhilMassey

I happened to be looking at my house on Maps and noticed something on the roof.

It was me, mounting floods to my gutters. f you look closely you can see them.

You can also see the cable runs to my bushes.

Probably taken around the last week of October 2017.

Oddly enough, only Maps on my phone has this image. My PC still has an old photo, as does Google Earth.

5a847cdb844b6_2017SetupFromGoogle.thumb.jpg.066fa445b39052849990f55c0919c1bd.jpg

And hears all. Just talking to a coworker about something - then opened my phone up and first pop up ad was for the item. 

Cool pic. I would have thought you’d be bigger!

9 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Cool pic. I would have thought you’d be bigger!

6ft 5 240, wish I were smaller.... at least the 240 part.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, PhilMassey said:

6ft 5 240, wish I were smaller.... at least the 240 part.

Time to maybe count your blessings - I'm 6'3" and wish I only weighed 240.

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

Time to maybe count your blessings - I'm 6'3" and wish I only weighed 240.

Geez, I'm just over 5' 10" and would be much happier if I was only 240.  It's been a lot of years since I passed through 240 (going up)...

Yes, just yesterday the VA sent me the little blue pill (bottle of 2).

I texted my friend who works for the VA.

Today I got 5 emails pertaining to the pills.

JR

On 2/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, Mega Arch said:

And hears all. Just talking to a coworker about something - then opened my phone up and first pop up ad was for the item.

All this spying that google, technology, and the entire internet is doing has gotten way out of control.  At home I'll do research on musical equipment, for example I'll look at musical instrument websites to learn about a specific guitar amplifier that I just heard about.  Then the next day at work, I'll see ads for the same guitar amplifier on my work computer, even though I was on my home computer when I looked at that amp on instrument websites.  Luckily I don't do any bad/naughty browsing at home because I'd hate to think what would show up on my browser at work if I did.  So when I research health & workout supplements, musical instruments, cars & SUVs, and outdoor Christmas lights/decor at home, I know I'll see ads for those same things at work the next day.

Edited by Speedster

I worry more about the ISP's than Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc. Google predominantly just uses the info for advertising. (unless the NSA comes knocking.)  The providers know everything about you.

Now that Net Neutrality is history, it is only going to get worse. The monopolies that are the  ISP's and phone providers are going to be totally out of control.

10 hours ago, Speedster said:

All this spying that google, technology, and the entire internet is doing has gotten way out of control.  At home I'll do research on musical equipment, for example I'll look at musical instrument websites to learn about a specific guitar amplifier that I just heard about.  Then the next day at work, I'll see ads for the same guitar amplifier on my work computer, even though I was on my home computer when I looked at that amp on instrument websites.  Luckily I don't do any bad/naughty browsing at home because I'd hate to think what would show up on my browser at work if I did.  So when I research health & workout supplements, musical instruments, cars & SUVs, and outdoor Christmas lights/decor at home, I know I'll see ads for those same things at work the next day.

Do you log into your Google account at home and on your work computer?

1 hour ago, bryan.hurley5 said:

Do you log into your Google account at home and on your work computer?

I do, and I know that's why I see ads at work for the same guitar gear etc that I'm checking out at home.  As I said, my home browsing is innocent, so I guess I really don't need to worry about the kind of ads that show up on my work computer.  I just don't like google, Yahoo, etc doing that. 

Yes, we should tighten the noose and strangle those big conglomerates from forming. At one time there was another OS known as Linux. Now MS and Apple own the entire computer universe. 

Youtube can screen our accounts for music and block us. They should be able to and regulated to screen for key words like the ones used by the school shooter. 

Same as FB. FB has started trying to block certain criteria.

Thats why I have very little Facebook posts and mostly about lights.

Reminds me of yesterday. My MS office annual fee expired. I had to renew.

The part that gets me was in the 1990’s I purchased the office suites for around $400 if I recall.

MS should not be aloud to not let us use them any longer. Up until WIN 10 I could use my disks.

JR

I'm still running Office 2007 on W10 just fine.

There's always Open Office or Google docs.

Linux is alive and well too.

31 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I'm still running Office 2007 on W10 just fine.

There's always Open Office or Google docs.

Linux is alive and well too.

Hmm- My Office suites on CD's don't work on my windows 10 home. The most recent ones I have on disk are my wifes college set, great discount on them and they are from just before the online office suite came out.

Now I'm going to have to try one more time on the disc set.

I haven't seen Linux Red Hat any where. I experimented with that in 1999/ 2000 but haven't used it since. I still have my discs for that as well.

Thanks for the info

JR

• The topic was locked