Light-O-Rama Forums

Meanwell PS Fan Runs 24/7

mpageler

Got a used MW SE-600-12.   Hooked it up and found that the fans runs constantly, even with no lights connected.  Pretty noisy sitting on the workbench but once in the enclosur, not very noticable.  Have a number of tLRS-350-12 and the fan cycle on and off, based on the ouput load. 

Just curious if this is normal for  SE serries or larger amp MW power supplies? BTW, started hobby withthe ;cheaper Chinese 30amp MW knokoffs and their fans never go on.

3 hours ago, mpageler said:

Got a used MW SE-600-12.   Hooked it up and found that the fans runs constantly, even with no lights connected.  Pretty noisy sitting on the workbench but once in the enclosur, not very noticable.  Have a number of tLRS-350-12 and the fan cycle on and off, based on the ouput load. 

Just curious if this is normal for  SE serries or larger amp MW power supplies? BTW, started hobby withthe ;cheaper Chinese 30amp MW knokoffs and their fans never go on.

I have a bunch of 750’s they never come on without lights however my matrix 750 runs every time I walk by it.

The ccr tree not.

Circles not

Bemch testing I never heard them 

Could it be that someone put a jumper to make it run continuously?

JR

4 hours ago, mpageler said:

Most of my stuff is running on Ray Wu knockoffs.  The fans run intermittently under load - never that I've heard with no load.

I have 30+ of the Meanwell RSP power supplies varying from 150w to 3,000w.  They all do the same as you describe.  I plan on using a couple Intermatic Digital timeclocks to power the supplies on and for the show so the fans don't run 24/7.  For what these things cost you would think the fan wouldn't run all the time...

Are they running warm?  The thermistor (I suspect it will contact the main HS) some place may be damaged or misplaced. If the fan runs full speed, the fan control transistor may be shorted

Did some more research and it does appear it depends on the MW model, whether it has continuous on or temp controlled on/off .   Took a look at some of the datasheets for model and didn't find any fan types listed. 

Might be for higher amp PS's, that it's better to relie on a continuous fan versus the chance of the temp sensor failing. 

BTw, found several youtube on using a fan speed controller to quiet larger output MW's. 

Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few 350w knock off supplies and the fan does run constantly, no real effect just that I find the little cooling fans only make it about 2 years before a bearing goes.