Light-O-Rama Forums

Calculator: Length of Spiral Light Strings!

MphsGal

After spending a couple of hours searching the net, I finally found an interactive Calculator that will tell you how long your spiral strings need to be. It’s done in meters, but you can just plug in feet instead and it works fine. What a lifesaver for a newbie like me!

https://www.da-share.com/calculators/spiral-tree/

There is a spreasheet that was linked here on the forum several years ago, but the link is no longer working.  I had grabbed the file, and can post it or send it to you if desired.

Jim when I started spiral trees 8 years ago I tried, 1 turn-not good, 1 1/2 turns good,  2 turns-too much. Now with that said, it depends on the length of the light strings that you want to use on the size of the tree. Good spiral trees are dependent not only on the wrapping but also the number of strings per color and the programming that goes with it ( this I'm sure you already know). My 2-10" trees  use 64 strings -16 of each color-blue & red together wrapped one way and green & white wrapped the other way, these lights are c6 50 count 17.5' long wrapped 1 1/2 turns. The 15' tree is done the same way but uses c6 70 count 24.3' long wrapped 1 1/2 turns. Hope this helps.

Earle 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, james morris said:

Same here 1 1/2 turns 16 strands 100 lights each very good spiral

How tall and what was the diameter of your base? 

go to utube ( how to make a pvc spiral tree by jerry baker)  thats the one i built under jerry baker it say show more click on it gives all the sizes of the pvc how many elbows an other parts

• Thanks 1

I built the 9 foot version that Jerry shows in his video. 1 1/2 turns,  70 ct, 17 ft long C6 strings. I glued the rings together but I used screws for the uprights  so it can be taken apart for storage. I also used fish tank tubing on the screws that hold the lights. Nicer than black tape to protect lights.

Tom

Jerry's video:

• 5 weeks later...

I went 1.5 turns, 32 strands of 100, 22 ft tree with 14 ft base.  It was my first one ever this past Christmas.  I ran 32 strands of verticals, 4 colors each as well, spirals were all clear only.  Below is the tree when blue.

20171128_205203_1.jpg

Wow - I love the look of your trees with the colored straight strands and the clear spirals!