Light-O-Rama Summer Sale Announcement! Read more... ×
Light-O-Rama Forums
k6ccc

Explanation of arrangement in preview groups

This is primarily directed at Matt.

Can you give me an explanation of the Arrangement section when creating or modifying a group in the Preview Editor.  Because I'm making huge changes to my layout, I am so much trying to make S5 work for 2018, but not there.  As you know, SuperStar integration is by far the largest requirement for me.  It is very obvious that arrangement is important as it radically changes how previews export to SuperStar, I can't make any rhyme or reason out of the differences.  To put that another way, I don't know what it's supposed to be doing, and it's not at all obvious by looking at the results.  I have not found any mention of arrangement in any of the video tutorials, nor the help.  as far as I can tell, it makes no difference within S5, but it radically affects SuperStar.

Can you explain how it's supposed to work.

Anyone?

On 2/9/2018 at 1:02 PM, k6ccc said:

This is primarily directed at Matt.

When I saw this I just stayed out of the topic. :)

I have had complete success in getting all my props in Preview Editor to look (and act) exactly like they did previously is S4 SS. I have looked at your yard layout vis file and see you sequence more than 1 prop at a time. I just looked over one of my props (a combination of 2 different props) trying to understand how it appears (order of the props) in Preview Editor  thus the way I need it to look in SS. I *think* I understand how to have the props placed in the layout in a particular order. It will take a little experimenting on my part. I can do up a video off a walkthru of how I set my props up, maybe that will give you some hints for yours. It maybe a couple of days.

Alan...

My goal is to be able to sequence every single prop in SuperStar in the same export.  The huge reason for this is that routinely in SuperStar, I will either create a morph or scene on one prop or use one from a purchased sequence, and then copy that same scene or morph to some other prop.  For example, start with a morph on the pixel tree and copy that same morph to the arches, or eves, or roof peak line, or roses, or tree rings (or likely some combination of those).  If I can’t have all of those all together in the same SuperStar export, then it means re-creating the morph (and it’s timing) from scratch every time.

Edited by k6ccc

I am not sure I understand your question. Arrangement in S5 editor?

You can arrange anything anyway you want it to look. I have different views all arranged differently. For example I have one view that mimics my display from last year so I can copy and paste my sequences from last year into that view and switch to another view to add my elements for this year.

One of the cool new thing is sorts. I have one view with props sorted by rows and another view with props sorted by columns.

In your case, if I understand correctly, you could have a view that was identical to your SS layout.

I'm not talking about the arrangement of props on the display within the Preview.  When you create a group in S5 Preview, there is a selection for group arrangement.  As far as I can tell, that has no effect within S5, however it has a radical effect when exporting that group to SuperStar.  As I sequence EVERYTHING in SuperStar, and to do so functionally requires that every prop be in the SuperStar export at the same time, that requires groups to work right.  If that still does not make sense, I can do some screen captures.

Edited by k6ccc

Ok, I am with you now. I always pick "Use Preview". Not sure what the other options are supposed to do.

I was told by Brian that superstar props that have forced rows and such will not work in S5 (insert superstar effects) at this time. He did tell me the issue would be addressed with Matt. My custom spinners have forced rows and no matter how I change the arrangement in the preview the effects will not work correctly. I am hoping the official release fixes this issue at least.

Jim,
Here is a video that describes and hopefully helps you understand Group Arrangement and SS. It is not a polished video. I only had a little time to make the video, render it, and upload.
Hopefully this will help you understand what the group arrangements do and how they need to be setup to interact with SS the way you want.

I know you are a diehard SS user, as am I. However there are many other ways to sequence with S5 that will create some very good effects on all your props. I'll try to make another video soon to show you some options with SE. If I didn't cover what you were wanting let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

• Thanks 1

I’ll take a look at your video when I can on a computer - although it may not be until this evening.

Thanks

Great video, helped me out a lot. Thanks!

Jim.

When we talked today I said I knew it was possible to skew effects in SE but didn't know how at that moment. I found it later.

Alan...

skew.gif

Thanks