Light-O-Rama Forums

New to Pixels

Sixfalls

I am the director for my school’s musical. I am planning on using pixels during our show. Where do I start? I’ve been working towards building my own system with a raspberry pi for Christmas, but I don’t have the time for that when it comes to the musical. I need something that works “out of the box”. What components am I going to need? What version of the software should I get? I need some advice. Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you were trying to jump into the deep end without a life preserver or knowing how to swim. Tell us what you are trying to do with the lights and we will have a better idea of what to tell you.

I want to put pixels below 7 steps and have them alternate colors. I’d also like to place them across the arch in our auditorium with the same affect. Lastly, I’d like to create a pixel screen (actually 2 of them) and display several words in time with the music. The “out of the box” part would be the software/controller combination. 

31 minutes ago, Sixfalls said:

I want to put pixels below 7 steps and have them alternate colors. I’d also like to place them across the arch in our auditorium with the same affect. Lastly, I’d like to create a pixel screen (actually 2 of them) and display several words in time with the music. The “out of the box” part would be the software/controller combination. 

In this hobby there is nothing that works "out of the box". You will always have to put props together, create a channel configuration, sequence or buy sequences. I assisted several members who purchased props that were "plug and play" who had them just sitting in their home looking pretty with no lights.

You will have to put forth some effort but its worth it.

There are plenty here that will share sequences with you but you will have to copy/ paste to suit your needs.

Take a pic of your church where you want to light it up and you can create a visualization file to place your lights and props on to see what it will look like.

Being new I would suguest stay with S4 version since the bugs are still being worked out on S5. But being new gives you the opportunity to learn S5 so its up to you.

Matrix screens are easy to build will cost a bit of money depending on size but a lot of fun to sequence. You can do the same with the CCR tree. 

You will need a pro level license and SS is a great tool for sequencing the pixels, its costly but worth it. Its an add on to whatever version of LOR suite you choose.

BEst of luck and welcome to the addiction.

JR

On 2/7/2018 at 5:26 AM, Sixfalls said:

I am the director for my school’s musical. I am planning on using pixels during our show. Where do I start? I’ve been working towards building my own system with a raspberry pi for Christmas, but I don’t have the time for that when it comes to the musical. I need something that works “out of the box”. What components am I going to need? What version of the software should I get? I need some advice. Thanks in advance.

Some do and some don't, it depends on what your idea of "out of the box" is.  When I started I bought my setup from WoWLights, I was ok with how they had there setup done so from that perspective it was worked.  BUT after my first year I wanted to do something different and that is when it became less "out of the box".  You would need to define what you consider "out of the box" and then see if anyone has anything close to that (WowLights, HolidayCoro, et al).  If not then at least which one is close, use that as your starting point and expand from there.  There are also options that incorporate your raspberry pi, this past year I used three in my show.

I would also like to ask about your musical. Is this a live musical that you are wanting to sync with? If the musical is live then that makes the situation that much more difficult. As stated by others, this is really not plug n play as in take it out, connect and it plays. This sytem takes some input from the user especially if jumping right into pixels as pixels has a learning curve.

Thanks for the reply’s. The “out of the box” remark basically for me means the hardware components. I’d like to purchase components that work with a fairly easy to use software program. I realize that I’ll be spending hours sequencing these lights. My plan would be to buy some pixel strips (in addition to the few sets I already have) and configure them and integrate them with my set. I guess my main concern is the controller and software. That’s where I’m lost.

This is a live musical. We are doing Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. My plan would involve someone triggering the lights where needed or connect them to my light board and control them via DMX. 

22 hours ago, dibblejr said:

In this hobby there is nothing that works "out of the box". You will always have to put props together, create a channel configuration, sequence or buy sequences. I assisted several members who purchased props that were "plug and play" who had them just sitting in their home looking pretty with no lights.

You will have to put forth some effort but its worth it.

There are plenty here that will share sequences with you but you will have to copy/ paste to suit your needs.

Take a pic of your church where you want to light it up and you can create a visualization file to place your lights and props on to see what it will look like.

Being new I would suguest stay with S4 version since the bugs are still being worked out on S5. But being new gives you the opportunity to learn S5 so its up to you.

Matrix screens are easy to build will cost a bit of money depending on size but a lot of fun to sequence. You can do the same with the CCR tree. 

You will need a pro level license and SS is a great tool for sequencing the pixels, its costly but worth it. Its an add on to whatever version of LOR suite you choose.

BEst of luck and welcome to the addiction.

JR

Thanks for the reply! I guess my main concern is the software and controller. I have some technical background with light boards and sound boards and have someone on my team who has worked with pixels in the past (mainly assisting with their setup). I’d love to incorporate my raspberry pi, but I just don’t have the time to put that together. Thanks for the info and advice.