Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering a pixel mega tree

KeysNole

21 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

The Falcon controller is far from complicated and has the most features and expandability for the price on the market today. 

I guess reply from David early 2017 confused me so that probably made me go to something easier as the pixie16's. At the time the F16V3 had not been released yet but he was very close.

Its the "expandability" thing that gets me confused. Is it initially a 16 channel controller and you have to purchase expansion cards or can it be purchased as a 64 channel controller. When I sent David the original email he said it was 64 channels but I read later before his final reply that it was 64 channel expandable.

I mean to type F16V3 just in case anyone was wondering. Just noticed the nomenclature problem.

Thanks

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I have. Jousha systems.  Sandevices. And Falcon controllers  by far the easiest  controller to setup and use are the Falcons  .

31 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

The Falcon controller is far from complicated and has the most features and expandability for the price on the market today. 

31 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

7 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

I have. Jousha systems.  Sandevices. And Falcon controllers  by far the easiest  controller to setup and use are the Falcons  .

Can either of you tell me if there is a distance requirement from controller to prop? I guess the manual is still not out yet. On the item link it shows distance of expansion cards.

That 1024 pixels per output is what was driving me before, now with a little experience it will def help me get more into the DMX stuff.

Also being both of you are up North. Question

Do you notice lag or stoppage in cold weather? This past Christmas one evening temp was -3 (yes here in AL) all of my pixel props stopped working all withing 5 mins. Found no problems. CCR Tree, Matrix and circles. Very next day temp in 30's all worked again. I know -3 is nothing for you guys. Being from upstate NY it was nothing for us either.

Thank you

JR

46 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Can either of you tell me if there is a distance requirement from controller to prop? I guess the manual is still not out yet. On the item link it shows distance of expansion cards.

That 1024 pixels per output is what was driving me before, now with a little experience it will def help me get more into the DMX stuff.

Also being both of you are up North. Question

Do you notice lag or stoppage in cold weather? This past Christmas one evening temp was -3 (yes here in AL) all of my pixel props stopped working all withing 5 mins. Found no problems. CCR Tree, Matrix and circles. Very next day temp in 30's all worked again. I know -3 is nothing for you guys. Being from upstate NY it was nothing for us either.

Thank you

JR

I've been able to get 20 to 30 feet from the controller without a problem.( needs good wire)

It's gotten pretty cold here and I haven't had any problems with the performance of the controllers in the cold weather. 

If you need more distance there is the f48 coming out like mentioned above.

There's also a product coming out from Falcon I think it's going to be called a Famp, Falcons version of a u amp.

I had some data runs over cat5 in the 50ft range with my Falcons last year.   The differential expansions and receivers helped me keep my data runs short for most of my display.  No complaints with my Falcons, (3) F16v3 and (3) F4v3 with lots of differential receivers throughout my display.  Great controller and great customer support from Mr. DPitts!

18 minutes ago, uncledan said:

I had some data runs over cat5 in the 50ft range with my Falcons last year.   The differential expansions and receivers helped me keep my data runs short for most of my display.  No complaints with my Falcons, (3) F16v3 and (3) F4v3 with lots of differential receivers throughout my display.  Great controller and great customer support from Mr. DPitts!

Thank you

I need 50’ exactly for roof peak. With the expansion does it receive power from the main PCb or do I need another ps?

After reading I think it gets power from main but just checking.

After David and I spoke in 2016 I should have pulled the trigger when they were released but thinking about firmware issues and they sounded confusing to me at the time so went with what I thought was easier. At least for me it worked out but now time to step up.

Thank again

JR

JR I have a few falcon  reciver boards about 75 ft from  the main board. But I do power the recievers with there own power supplys     Don't really know if the can get enough power over the cat-5 cable. As for temps it was around zero for about a week this Christmas season. But had no problems with controllers I also have a few props about 30 feet  direct from controller without any problems .

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Thank you

I need 50’ exactly for roof peak. With the expansion does it receive power from the main PCb or do I need another ps?

After reading I think it gets power from main but just checking.

After David and I spoke in 2016 I should have pulled the trigger when they were released but thinking about firmware issues and they sounded confusing to me at the time so went with what I thought was easier. At least for me it worked out but now time to step up.

Thank again

JR

Receivers are powered separately. The Falcon web interface is very easy to use and quite user friendly.  Any issues or questions there is a ton of support.  I've had several long phone conversations with DPitts.  Some not even regarding Falcon product.  Not too many people give out their cell phones and answer it whenever it rings.