Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
KeysNole

Powering a pixel mega tree

Recommended Posts

Looks like we are making the jump to pixels on our mega tree for 2018. Trying to emulate uncledan's tree at approx 100-110 pixels per strand, and approx 32-36 strands for a 270 degree tree. Brian at HLE is saying that his 16 output controller with 700 watts won't power a tree like that. HC claims the Alphapix 16 can do it (we have an Alphapix running our 16 ribbon tree and like it). The run from controller to pixel string will be a several feet at most.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at Falcon controllers you can have 32 ports and with power distribution boards they sell it would be easy to do .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't recommend how I did mine.. Caused me some issues when a pixel died.  I used 6 outputs on a F16v3 with 880 pixels each output last year for mine.  I think a better alternative and my plan for this year is a F16v3 with two expansions.  This will give me 48 outputs of 110 pixels.  I run 40% intensity on my tree which will be less than the 180amps the F16v3 and two expansions is rated for.  Even on white which is never used.  As far as powering it I have 3 Meanwell RSP3000-12 running in parallel which powers the tree and approximately 5,000 more pixels in close proximity to it.  9000w  600 amp 12v power supply basically

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also remember if you reduce the intensity to 50% you can power up to 170 pixels per output with no power injection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2018 at 8:04 AM, caniac said:

also remember if you reduce the intensity to 50% you can power up to 170 pixels per output with no power injection.

I power 170 pixels at 100% on many different props without any power injection.

In fact I just built the Boscoyo spider web with 324 pixels and no power injection all off of one port. 

If you use the right wire and no how to wire it properly it's not an issue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Distance from the controller/ps to the prop is the key. Ebuechner.......how close is your controller/power supply to your 324 pixel prop? What gauge wire are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

In fact I just built the Boscoyo spider web with 324 pixels and no power injection all off of one port. 

 

That is failing my sanity check.  324 pixels at full white would be almost 20 amps.  No way either a single output from any pixel controller can drive 20 amps, and even if it could, the wire of a pixel string could not handle it.  That or you are massively restricting what you can do with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That is failing my sanity check.  324 pixels at full white would be almost 20 amps.  No way either a single output from any pixel controller can drive 20 amps, and even if it could, the wire of a pixel string could not handle it.  That or you are massively restricting what you can do with it.

 

I've powered 300+ pixels off a board  at 10% intensity.  Just for testing.  No way are you doing that at 100% intensity.  That would be about 15 amps and blow a fuse on any pixel controller I know of.  That is failing my sanity check as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

That is failing my sanity check.  324 pixels at full white would be almost 20 amps.  No way either a single output from any pixel controller can drive 20 amps, and even if it could, the wire of a pixel string could not handle it.  That or you are massively restricting what you can do with it.

 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Io9szn7nrbwnbtcgjQT63KU4ttGhL41F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

That is failing my sanity check.  324 pixels at full white would be almost 20 amps.  No way either a single output from any pixel controller can drive 20 amps, and even if it could, the wire of a pixel string could not handle it.  That or you are massively restricting what you can do with it.

 

I could see running the power directly from the power supply with an inline 20 amp fuse, but the wire would need to be 12 gauge,  however , no way does the power run from pixel 1 to pixe 324 and stay anywhere near white. Last year, i ran 300 dumb nodes off one SSR, no power injection, at 75%, on all white, the last 100 nodes were way off white, almost pink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And how much are you restricting the outputs?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Love it, is there a vis for that webb yet? I have BB's huge webb but these will go in my windows. They will be my new addition to 2018 Halloween, not that I needed anything but always adding.

What controller is that? I have to venture away from pixies this year. What I have now is what I will use but need more control that the pixies do not support. "dimming" to be one of them.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Love it, is there a vis for that webb yet? I have BB's huge webb but these will go in my windows. They will be my new addition to 2018 Halloween, not that I needed anything but always adding.

What controller is that? I have to venture away from pixies this year. What I have now is what I will use but need more control that the pixies do not support. "dimming" to be one of them.

JR

Falcon controller with four 400 watt power supplies.

I'm not sure about the visualizer but in xlights it will automatically download the model and all submodels right from the manufacturer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

And how much are you restricting the outputs?

 

I have the web running at 50%. 

I intended on doing that right from the beginning otherwise with the pixel density it may overpower the spiders that I'm putting next to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

 

Falcon controller with four 400 watt power supplies.

I'm not sure about the visualizer but in xlights it will automatically download the model and all submodels right from the manufacturer. 

Thanks, I was going to start pixels with the F3 however it sounded too complicated for starts. The F3 still sounds complicated but I may pull the trigger on one for learning and testing. Thoughts. 

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Thanks, I was going to start pixels with the F3 however it sounded too complicated for starts. The F3 still sounds complicated but I may pull the trigger on one for learning and testing. Thoughts. 

JR

Setup is easy, once you set the IP address then you can config everything else from your browser.  I bought a Falcon V2 from Mark at the OKC mini last year and it's been one of the best purchases I have made.  The big thing about the Falcon V3 is all the pixels it can push and the number of expansion boards you can add (plus you can go LOR dongle free with a cable from HC).  Fully loaded it can support 48 outputs on one controller with each output supporting up to 1,024 pixels.  That's a lot of blinky flashy.

I may be wrong but I think the Falcon V3 also has built in wifi.

Edited by caniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, caniac said:

Setup is easy, once you set the IP address then you can config everything else from your browser.  I bought a Falcon V2 from Mark at the OKC mini last year and it's been one of the best purchases I have made.  The big thing about the Falcon V3 is all the pixels it can push and the number of expansion boards you can add (plus you can go LOR dongle free with a cable from HC).  Fully loaded it can support 48 outputs on one controller with each output supporting up to 1,024 pixels.  That's a lot of blinky flashy.

I may be wrong but I think the Falcon V3 also has built in wifi.

Yes it has WiFi that is for the future firmware update where it can work as a standalone player or be run as a slave with a Raspberry Pi as the master or  Xschedule. 

The V3 has an SD card slot as well as the USB port to output sound.

 

Edited by Ebuechner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Thanks, I was going to start pixels with the F3 however it sounded too complicated for starts. The F3 still sounds complicated but I may pull the trigger on one for learning and testing. Thoughts. 

JR

The Falcon controller is far from complicated and has the most features and expandability for the price on the market today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

The Falcon controller is far from complicated and has the most features and expandability for the price on the market today. 

I guess reply from David early 2017 confused me so that probably made me go to something easier as the pixie16's. At the time the F16V3 had not been released yet but he was very close.

Its the "expandability" thing that gets me confused. Is it initially a 16 channel controller and you have to purchase expansion cards or can it be purchased as a 64 channel controller. When I sent David the original email he said it was 64 channels but I read later before his final reply that it was 64 channel expandable.

I mean to type F16V3 just in case anyone was wondering. Just noticed the nomenclature problem.

Thanks

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have. Jousha systems.  Sandevices. And Falcon controllers  by far the easiest  controller to setup and use are the Falcons  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

The Falcon controller is far from complicated and has the most features and expandability for the price on the market today. 

 

31 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

The Falcon controller is far from complicated and has the most features and expandability for the price on the market today. 

 

7 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

I have. Jousha systems.  Sandevices. And Falcon controllers  by far the easiest  controller to setup and use are the Falcons  .

 Can either of you tell me if there is a distance requirement from controller to prop? I guess the manual is still not out yet. On the item link it shows distance of expansion cards.

That 1024 pixels per output is what was driving me before, now with a little experience it will def help me get more into the DMX stuff.

Also being both of you are up North. Question

Do you notice lag or stoppage in cold weather? This past Christmas one evening temp was -3 (yes here in AL) all of my pixel props stopped working all withing 5 mins. Found no problems. CCR Tree, Matrix and circles. Very next day temp in 30's all worked again. I know -3 is nothing for you guys. Being from upstate NY it was nothing for us either.

Thank you

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only have one word to say about Falcon,,,,,,,,,,,, F48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

 

 

 Can either of you tell me if there is a distance requirement from controller to prop? I guess the manual is still not out yet. On the item link it shows distance of expansion cards.

That 1024 pixels per output is what was driving me before, now with a little experience it will def help me get more into the DMX stuff.

Also being both of you are up North. Question

Do you notice lag or stoppage in cold weather? This past Christmas one evening temp was -3 (yes here in AL) all of my pixel props stopped working all withing 5 mins. Found no problems. CCR Tree, Matrix and circles. Very next day temp in 30's all worked again. I know -3 is nothing for you guys. Being from upstate NY it was nothing for us either.

Thank you

JR

I've been able to get 20 to 30 feet from the controller without a problem.( needs good wire)

It's gotten pretty cold here and I haven't had any problems with the performance of the controllers in the cold weather. 

If you need more distance there is the f48 coming out like mentioned above.

There's also a product coming out from Falcon I think it's going to be called a Famp, Falcons version of a u amp.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×