Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
dougd

Tennessee Mini 2018

Recommended Posts

Tennessee Spring Mini

 

All are invited, not just the folks from TN. 

 

WHEN: Saturday, March 24, 2018

 

WHERE: Cleveland, TN (Just north of Chattanooga off of I-75)

3787 Blue Springs Road in Cleveland, TN  

TIME: TBD (typically 9 am – 4 pm)

 

We’ll take up $$ for lunch, usually pizza. 

 

We're not sure what we will talk about yet, so, if there's anything you'd like to talk about, post about it here and we'll put it on the list. Controllers, software, networking, etc.

I am sure there will be something on S5 workflow and also Super Star. Other topics to follow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be interested in going, will be back in NC so it wouldn't be too bad a drive.  Will you post hotels, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, 

my name is Don Shriver i will be there with two other Amigo’s Gregg, and JR. 

Edited by Derkngoogly
Want replies
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Derkngoogly said:

Hello, 

my name is Don Shriver i will be there with two other Amigo’s Gregg, and JR. 

Thanks Don- that's a real close drive for me and probably closer for Greg. 

~ Bells on

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a 3hr drive for me so not bad at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doug- I think we discussed a topic for last year, unfortunately I couldn't make it. This year id be willing to go over my way of singing faces. 

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, caniac said:

I may be interested in going, will be back in NC so it wouldn't be too bad a drive.  Will you post hotels, etc.

I will get a list of hotels. I know there is a group coming from NC, you might be able to get together with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JR, sounds good. I am pretty sure there will some time devoted to singing faces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am back in the game again.

If time permits will be there also.

Having an issue with LOR imports into Xlights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dennis Cherry said:

I am back in the game again.

If time permits will be there also.

Having an issue with LOR imports into Xlights.

 

what kind of issue?  Maybe I have been there done that.  Made the switch last year because of performance issues with S4 when you loaded up your show with pixels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, caniac said:

what kind of issue?  Maybe I have been there done that.  Made the switch last year because of performance issues with S4 when you loaded up your show with pixels.

Was in a hurry last year to get something up and running. With 2 weeks before Christmas it was finished. The display only was 4 CCR Circles.

Not really taking time to look at the sequencing, some of the effects looked odd, to cold to really stay out and watch. After taking down the small display I started looking at the sequences in Superstar, S4 & 5 and Xlights.  Superstar looked fine and studied the sequences to find which effects I could rely on knowing what they looked like. Went to S4 & S5 and they where wrong, same with Xlights. Discovered that by reversing the DMX universe numbers fixed the problem. What I do not understand is why and how to fix it.

Many of these sequences are from Superstar this year and some from 2009 I already had. The 2009's worked properly with the known Universe Numbers in 2009 but not his time.

I set it up as Universes 2-5 with left Circle 1 as Univ. 2, etc, as it should be, but it really came out to be for Circle#1 as Univ. 5.

The relationship between the programs is confusing, I did try importing the SS files into both programs and made no difference.

BTW: I did check the channel assignment in S4/5 first to make sure it was 2-5 and not 5-2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dennis Cherry said:

Was in a hurry last year to get something up and running. With 2 weeks before Christmas it was finished. The display only was 4 CCR Circles.

Not really taking time to look at the sequencing, some of the effects looked odd, to cold to really stay out and watch. After taking down the small display I started looking at the sequences in Superstar, S4 & 5 and Xlights.  Superstar looked fine and studied the sequences to find which effects I could rely on knowing what they looked like. Went to S4 & S5 and they where wrong, same with Xlights. Discovered that by reversing the DMX universe numbers fixed the problem. What I do not understand is why and how to fix it.

Many of these sequences are from Superstar this year and some from 2009 I already had. The 2009's worked properly with the known Universe Numbers in 2009 but not his time.

I set it up as Universes 2-5 with left Circle 1 as Univ. 2, etc, as it should be, but it really came out to be for Circle#1 as Univ. 5.

The relationship between the programs is confusing, I did try importing the SS files into both programs and made no difference.

BTW: I did check the channel assignment in S4/5 first to make sure it was 2-5 and not 5-2.

 

one thing I found is that I had to setup a map for everything I was bringing across from LOR, tedious to do (especially if you forget to save and have to do it again).  it's one of those one and done drills so not too big a deal.  Initially I was importing lms (with RGB props) straight into xLights, took long to do and even longer to render (you are pulling in every single pixel effect as opposed to an effect on a prop).  My sequences were huge.  what I found that worked better was setting up my sequences as AC props only and pulling that in, then I would import the SuperStar file in (xLights will support both formats).  xLights would then end up with "native" effects coming in instead of stuff down to the pixel.  Smaller sequences and faster rendering.  When pulling in a superstar file you do have to tell it what it maps to (LOR pixel tree = xLights pixel tree).  There are folks on here that have done this and I will try to be at the mini if you have any questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You problem is the controller position in s5/s4 you always use bottom left on circles. That is in the configuation settings. You have to verify it every seq when you export to se if you export it unverified it will mess all up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dennis- there you go. Don has sequenced at least 30 circles in the past month and uses DMX/ LOR

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, caniac said:

one thing I found is that I had to setup a map for everything I was bringing across from LOR, tedious to do (especially if you forget to save and have to do it again).  it's one of those one and done drills so not too big a deal.  Initially I was importing lms (with RGB props) straight into xLights, took long to do and even longer to render (you are pulling in every single pixel effect as opposed to an effect on a prop).  My sequences were huge.  what I found that worked better was setting up my sequences as AC props only and pulling that in, then I would import the SuperStar file in (xLights will support both formats).  xLights would then end up with "native" effects coming in instead of stuff down to the pixel.  Smaller sequences and faster rendering.  When pulling in a superstar file you do have to tell it what it maps to (LOR pixel tree = xLights pixel tree).  There are folks on here that have done this and I will try to be at the mini if you have any questions.

Yes, I did all of that.

First item was taking my S4 Channel configuration and delete everything except the two props I wanted to use. The  Network setup was simple. One prop (Univ. 1)  for dumb RGB strings. The next 4 Universes (2-5) where the 4 Circles. I know this is not the best use of Universes, just needed to make it work fast. and had my parts on order to build this quickly.

Did test the old files in S4 and looked fine, but don't hold me to that, 3 years has past since my last display and the S/W has greatly changed.

I think it has something to do with Superstar setup as it ties the 4 Circles with a known configuration in S4, but this has me confused how this works.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dennis Cherry said:

Yes, I did all of that.

First item was taking my S4 Channel configuration and delete everything except the two props I wanted to use. The  Network setup was simple. One prop (Univ. 1)  for dumb RGB strings. The next 4 Universes (2-5) where the 4 Circles. I know this is not the best use of Universes, just needed to make it work fast. and had my parts on order to build this quickly.

Did test the old files in S4 and looked fine, but don't hold me to that, 3 years has past since my last display and the S/W has greatly changed.

I think it has something to do with Superstar setup as it ties the 4 Circles with a known configuration in S4, but this has me confused how this works.

 

Do you have the circle .Lee file? If you have that in your samples folder you can open in SS and see how the circles come together.

One key to the circles is to ensure the all start and stop in the correct position while setting up. The start and end points should be at the 3 and 9 positions or close as possible. (hope that makes sense)

Don can really help you out with the DMX part since I am all LOR

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to thanks everyone for all the input.

DMX I understand, been using it since 2009. One of the first to tout the benefits of DMX over other protocols. First DMX was the IDMX-1000.

After writing the last post here, it started me thinking again and really started looking at the problem a different way.

The S5 Superstar .lee file was fine, had 2 .lee files and they had the same information.  Checked a sequence to make sure what the effects are correct.

Started S5 and checked the setup for the circles. As I was the first person to make the circles (For Brian) I knew the proper configuration needed for the sequences. Checked and it was right. opened the sequence and it looked fine. I do have an issue with displaying the 4 circles horizontally correctly in S5, it goes uphill slightly as the rotate does not give me an option to make small increments. Yes, my setup was correct.

Started Xlights and checked that the circle configuration was the same as S5 and it was, I used "Bottom Outer CW" and rotated it 90 Deg., imported the sequence and it was wrong. Next decided to change the circle configuration just to see if it made a difference, this time selected "Top Center Outer CW" and left the rotation at 90 Deg. This time the sequence ran correctly, looked at a couple more sequences and they where good also.

In XLights I had changed my setup for the circles to Univ. 2 for Circles 1, 2 and 3, and Univ. 3 for Circle 4. Made no difference either way as it should not.

So the setup is different between LOR and Xlights, can anyone confirm this also.

Edited by Dennis Cherry
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hour and 28 minute drive for us?! Yeah... That won't get to happen :( But I hope everyone has a great time!! Can't wait to hear about it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why rotating 90 deg ? Are your ribbons going cw starting on top? What controller you using? I have a hunch that your controller is running reverse order or your ribbon/pixels are not going in cw up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have email i will send you a circle .lee file that will work you will need to send to se empty and make sure you load it or verify it is the one used when you seq if not just import the vis file. Do not change the settings in the .lee and make sure your pixels are in right direction, little thing really can mess u up but you do know that i am sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 9:20 AM, Derkngoogly said:

Why rotating 90 deg ? Are your ribbons going cw starting on top? What controller you using? I have a hunch that your controller is running reverse order or your ribbon/pixels are not going in cw up

You have to define where pixel 1 position, in Xlights it is either top (12 o`clock) or bottom (6 o`clock), The circles need to be a 9 o`clock. That why the 90 degree rotation was added.  S5 will show you the pixel numbers in the prop but i cannot see that in Xlights. I am still getting use to both programs and all the changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn, I would really like to come this year. Not just for the learning but for meeting you guys face to face. I'm in Daytona Beach so we'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×