Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Floods -- what do you do with them?

Scott Tuthill

12 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Other than no one can sequence the Barney song or beep beep bunny.

Absolutely no one deserves to be subjected to that sort of torture.

IS JUST NOT RIGHT MAN!

I think those are in the EULA of both xLights and LOR.  Plus it's a crime against nature!!

• 2 months later...

Really great ideas everyone. Now you're giving me ideas.... I just bought the RGB floods during the Spring sale just waiting for them to arrive but I've already started testing out the software trying to learn it before they get here. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I really haven't found great tutorials on them yet. I'm kind of just jumping into it and figuring it out on my own but if anybody has some good tutorial links that might help us newcomers out with the RGB floods. Not to hijack the post, but saw it regarding RGB floods and figured I would ask.

3 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

I made trees using lattice last year and use dumb RGB floods in those:

Those look pretty easy to make. What did you use for the inside of them? The video makes it look white inside. Is that coroplast?  Would be interested in making something like that to create some mini trees to use for the floods for Christmas. 

5 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Those look pretty easy to make. What did you use for the inside of them? The video makes it look white inside. Is that coroplast?  Would be interested in making something like that to create some mini trees to use for the floods for Christmas. 

They were very easy to make - I did all four in one day.  the inside is lined with thick plastic sheeting used for covering floors.  I almost got something thicker, but the 5 mil (or is it 7 mil?) plastic sheeting was suitable for my needs.  I used white duct tape to connect the three pieces to make the tree - completely invisible on the white lattice.  I left one side partially untaped at the bottom so I could access the RGB when needed.

The great thing is these store completely flat once the season is over.

3 hours ago, Jaynee said:

They were very easy to make - I did all four in one day.  the inside is lined with thick plastic sheeting used for covering floors.  I almost got something thicker, but the 5 mil (or is it 7 mil?) plastic sheeting was suitable for my needs.  I used white duct tape to connect the three pieces to make the tree - completely invisible on the white lattice.  I left one side partially untaped at the bottom so I could access the RGB when needed.

The great thing is these store completely flat once the season is over.

Sounds really easy. Was that a schematic/diagram online to make them or was it free hand? Would be very interested in a how to post or tutorial if you ever consider doing that.  I'm a prop junkie. If I can build it myself, I would rather save $10 than to buy something outright lol. I'm curious, How do they store flat? Are they 3 side or 4 side with hinges? Sorry dont mean to take over the post. Could you pm me if you have a drawing or photos? I just ordered mine for halloween but would like to use them for christmas as well. The tomato cage minis I made take up alot of space.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

Hey GriswoldStyle -- thanks for rejuvenating the original post and for Jaynee to jump in with the ideas.

Scott Tuthill

13 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Sounds really easy. Was that a schematic/diagram online to make them or was it free hand? Would be very interested in a how to post or tutorial if you ever consider doing that.  I'm a prop junkie. If I can build it myself, I would rather save $10 than to buy something outright lol. I'm curious, How do they store flat? Are they 3 side or 4 side with hinges? Sorry dont mean to take over the post. Could you pm me if you have a drawing or photos? I just ordered mine for halloween but would like to use them for christmas as well. The tomato cage minis I made take up alot of space.

It was all freehand.  I bought several 6'x8' lattice panels at the local big box, had a friend cut them - each tree has three sides.  I did two different heights - 2 at 5' and 2 at 7' (I think).  Once cut I laid them out flat on the ground and used white duct tape to connect three of them together and to tape the plastic sheeting on the inside. No hinges, although I'm sure you could do that if you wanted.  My duct tape has survived two years and shows no sign of wear/tear.  The star toppers just rest inside the top and the plug/cord that dangles down holds them in place with no problem.  

To stake them, we do two things - we used long metal stakes in the ground through each side at the bottom, but then we also run fishing line from the top and tied to the metal stake.  Only in a really bad wind have we had one fall down.

When the season is over, we take off the duct tape on the "back" side (which is not duct taped the whole way) and then straighten them out to put them in storage. 

Edited by Jaynee

8 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

It was all freehand.  I bought several 6'x8' lattice panels at the local big box, had a friend cut them - each tree has three sides.  I did two different heights - 2 at 5' and 2 at 7' (I think).  Once cut I laid them out flat on the ground and used white duct tape to connect three of them together and to tape the plastic sheeting on the inside. No hinges, although I'm sure you could do that if you wanted.  My duct tape has survived two years and shows no sign of wear/tear.  The star toppers just rest inside the top and the plug/cord that dangles down holds them in place with no problem.  

To stake them, we do two things - we used long metal stakes in the ground on each side at the bottom, but then we also run fishing line from the top and tied to the metal stake.  Only in a really bad wind have we had one fall down.

When the season is over, we take off the duct tape on the "back" side (which is not duct taped the whole way) and then straighten them out to put them in storage. 

Awesome! Thank you so much. I am going to give those a try. The mini trees just were not what I wanted last year using the tomato cages. They did not look right to me so this year I can add a better element to them with your design. How many sheets of lattice did you need? Was it the wood ones or the white plastic lattice? Can't wait to try these out. Sounds like a fun and easy project. Thanks again so much for this idea

1 minute ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Awesome! Thank you so much. I am going to give those a try. The mini trees just were not what I wanted last year using the tomato cages. They did not look right to me so this year I can add a better element to them with your design. How many sheets of lattice did you need? Was it the wood ones or the white plastic lattice? Can't wait to try these out. Sounds like a fun and easy project. Thanks again so much for this idea

I used the white plastic lattice - I knew they would last longer in the winter weather than wood.  I think I bought 4 sheets - but I honestly don't remember. You can see them in my display here starting at 1:57:

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, Scott Tuthill said:

I bought the package of 8 10W RGB floods and controller this year during the sale. I have always wanted to incorporate them in my show. However when I started experimenting with them I just could not get effects that looked good. It is the difference between direct illumination as with lights and reflected illumination of the floods. I tried shining them up in trees and against the house. Reds would show up reasonably well, greens marginally so, and then white would just illuminate whatever it was pointing at with its native colors. (of course.) So I am wondering if anyone has come up with any creative uses for RGB floods they can share. I thought about building mini-trees from upside down wire plant cages, wrapping them in a white translucent material with a flood under each. But, am hoping someone out there has already come up with the ultimate use for RGB Floods in a show.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Scott

As a lot of people do we use them to create a "wall washer" effect. 

I've been considering buying another set to face "out" to really give those bright pops something a little... more? But can't decide if it's worth it yet.

53 minutes ago, DisneyMatt10 said:

As a lot of people do we use them to create a "wall washer" effect. 

I've been considering buying another set to face "out" to really give those bright pops something a little... more? But can't decide if it's worth it yet.

I can vouch and tell you, it's worth it.

19 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

I can vouch and tell you, it's worth it.

It's not "too much?" 

Quick question for those with RGB floods.... On the plug-in show flood light set, it says it comes with a 200 watt power supply. However it only comes with the eight LED floods that are only 10 watts each. (80 watts)

So would you be able to double the floods? Meaning add an additional flood on a channel. So basically two flood lights per Channel outpet if I added individual floods rather than buying another kit. Or can I use the 8 RGB flood outputs AND add a 16' LED strip to the same channel output.

Would that be possible? I haven't got the kit yet as I bought it in the spring sale so I haven't gone through the paperwork on it to see just figured I would ask if you all have any experience doing this.

10 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Quick question for those with RGB floods.... On the plug-in show flood light set, it says it comes with a 200 watt power supply. However it only comes with the eight LED floods that are only 10 watts each. (80 watts)

So would you be able to double the floods? Meaning add an additional flood on a channel. So basically two flood lights per Channel outpet if I added individual floods rather than buying another kit. Or can I use the 8 RGB flood outputs AND add a 16' LED strip to the same channel output.

Would that be possible? I haven't got the kit yet as I bought it in the spring sale so I haven't gone through the paperwork on it to see just figured I would ask if you all have any experience doing this.

You can add lights/RGB to the existing power supply but remember if if adding them to channels on the same controller, to not go over the recommended output for each channel. 

Edited by Santas Helper

5 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

You can add lights/RGB to the existing power supply but remember if if adding them to channels on the same controller, to not go over the recommended output for each channel. 

10W is a little less than 1A @ 12V, so you could go up to 4 on some channels.  You can ALSO add another (weather resistant) supply (mount external) and split the banks (the inputs are bonded together for a Single PSU)

On 4/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, Jaynee said:

I made trees using lattice last year and use dumb RGB floods in those:

This is a GREAT IDEA!!  nicely done.