Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Floods -- what do you do with them?

Scott Tuthill

I bought the package of 8 10W RGB floods and controller this year during the sale. I have always wanted to incorporate them in my show. However when I started experimenting with them I just could not get effects that looked good. It is the difference between direct illumination as with lights and reflected illumination of the floods. I tried shining them up in trees and against the house. Reds would show up reasonably well, greens marginally so, and then white would just illuminate whatever it was pointing at with its native colors. (of course.) So I am wondering if anyone has come up with any creative uses for RGB floods they can share. I thought about building mini-trees from upside down wire plant cages, wrapping them in a white translucent material with a flood under each. But, am hoping someone out there has already come up with the ultimate use for RGB Floods in a show.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Scott

I have three in my yard.  I have three brick rings that go around dwarf fruit trees,  You can see two of them in the photo below.  I put RGB dumb strip around the inside of the rings years ago.  A couple years ago I added an RGB flood on the audience side of the tree pointed up and away from the audience.  It lights up the tree better than the strip does.  I have the strip and the flood on different channels so although most of the time the strip and flood for a given tree operate together, I can run just on or the he other.  Note that the flood had not been installed when the photo was taken.

East_end_of_planter.jpg

Edited by k6ccc

I use mine pointed toward the house.  For Christmas the floods are about 8' from the house. See video below.  My house is an off white color so the colors show pretty well.  For Halloween the floods are against the house pointed straight up.

33 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

I feel like an amateur.  All I do with mine is shine them on buildings.

I'm an amateur too!  Shine mine on side of the house is the extent of my floods..  I need to sell my LOR 10w, upgrading to 24v 20w 2811 this year

Edited by uncledan
added video

Thanks everyone for sharing. Some good ideas in there. Perhaps like Santas Helper I just turn them into giant RGB bulbs and use them as such. I also have some fence to use like racerc20, though right now the fence is plain cedar planks. Maybe a coat of white paint this summer? And sure wish my house was not a tutor style with brick and tan painted siding and darker painted trim. That just didn't work well when shining the floods on them. Will see if any more ideas come in. Then I have summer to prototype some ideas and get them in the display for next Xmas. I do like that "Hot Chocolate" song -- might have to add that one to the show.

Scott

24 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Scott, I figure if TSO can blast the audience with direct LED contact, then so can I. ??

Tom, If that's the case (and it is), when are you adding the fire, pyrotechnics, and tens of thousands of watts of sound?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Well Jim, it's funny you ask.... ?

I was thinking... 

...and still am. ?

It can be done, just a tweak here and a tweak there!! :)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, caniac said:

It can be done, just a tweak here and a tweak there!! :)

That's a lot of tweaking Chet..

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

That's a lot of tweaking Chet..

I'm about due for a good tweaking. ?

Can't beat the pixel monsters so dazzle them with something different. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

I'm about due for a good tweaking. ?

Can't beat the pixel monsters so dazzle them with something different. 

that's what's fun about this hobby, no rules!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, caniac said:

that's what's fun about this hobby, no rules!!

Other than no one can sequence the Barney song or beep beep bunny.

Absolutely no one deserves to be subjected to that sort of torture.

IS JUST NOT RIGHT MAN!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

Other than no one can sequence the Barney song or beep beep bunny.

Absolutely no one deserves to be subjected to that sort of torture.

IS JUST NOT RIGHT MAN!

Or what does the fox.... Oh I can't even finish it. Lol

• Like 2