Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you keep it fresh?

namecipS

Before discovering LOR, I had the same static display year after year.  Nothing really changed, maybe add a blow up or a blow mold, but otherwise same thing over and over every year.  THEN, I discovered LOR and saw thousands and thousands of new options, unlimited songs to choose from, LED's, Pixels, animated wire frames, singing trees, arches, mega/mini trees and on and on and on......mind blown "poof".  Hahaha  

I believe 2018 will be my 5th year with animated Christmas lights.  I started with one 16 channel residential controller.  I now have nine of them.  I started out with a single strand of assorted LED lights from a big box store outlining the house, windows, doors etc.  Now I have red, green, blue and white strands of LED lights from HLE twisted together outlining my house, plus all the trees and bushes surrounding the house and 4 singing xmas tree faces and 4-5 blow ups and 5 arches.  I started out with 4-5 sequences, this year I ran 12.   

So to the point of the thread, How do you keep it fresh?   New songs?  New display additions?  

Do you ever go back and re-sequence entire songs to change things up?

I'm sure those that have been in the hobby for years have sequenced every related holiday song out there.  Do you just change up the show by mixing in the different songs?   One year Jingle Bells, the next year Jingle Bell Rock? 

What do you do different each year to keep your display fresh, people interested and almost as important, yourself interested and motivated to do this each year?

Edited by namecipS

When it comes to the music aspect- if you add sequences to Bobs MIIP you give the audience the control to select what sequences out of your list they would like to hear/ see. You can re-sequence all of your sequences adding your new channels/ props and add them back to your show. Remember though, first and foremost you are the one that should be happy with your show. Others enjoying it is a plus but you will never please everyone. My city beautification board mentioned that when she stopped by "only one or a few props were actually lighting". My reply was "not every light has to be on in order to have a great show". This would also go to say that she was only merely checking a box as far as viewing our shows. I spent many hours on several occasions assisting her with getting our lightshow started back up. 

IMO there is no wow factor if every light and every prop is active 100% of the time.

If you add the App feature of the MIIP you will get more people to come (nobody can live without their smart phone and apps), now are you ready or do you want more people?

JR

21 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

When it comes to the music aspect- if you add sequences to Bobs MIIP you give the audience the control to select what sequences out of your list they would like to hear/ see. You can re-sequence all of your sequences adding your new channels/ props and add them back to your show. Remember though, first and foremost you are the one that should be happy with your show. Others enjoying it is a plus but you will never please everyone. My city beautification board mentioned that when she stopped by "only one or a few props were actually lighting". My reply was "not every light has to be on in order to have a great show". This would also go to say that she was only merely checking a box as far as viewing our shows. I spent many hours on several occasions assisting her with getting our lightshow started back up. 

IMO there is no wow factor if every light and every prop is active 100% of the time.

If you add the App feature of the MIIP you will get more people to come (nobody can live without their smart phone and apps), now are you ready or do you want more people?

JR

Bobs MIIP   ???????

I guess I haven't lost my newb status yet.  I have no idea what that is or how I would be able to let a stranger control my show.  I have to admit when I first read it,  I thought there was another "o" in there.  Mind meet gutter.  :)

2017 was my 6th year with LOR. Every year I add a few lights and a song or two.  Therefore every song gets at least a minor re-sequence every year.  2018 will be a major change of hardware so every song will get a substantial re-sequence.  2017 also added MIIP.  It did not get used all that much, but some people used it.  It’s very cool.  Do a search in the forum for MIIP and you should find it.  If not, when I get a PC, I can give you a link.

I have several planned changes this year.  

I've never been able to incorporate my house roof due to the steep pitch.  I really didn't want to spend $200-300 renting a cherry picker or lift to get me up there and then another $200-300 to take them down.  While I haven't figure out exactly how to get it done, that is priority number one this spring.

Already have the hardware/supplies needed to add some RGB arches(Johnson arches).  Just need to put them together and start sequencing.

As far as songs/sequences, this year I'm going old school with the more traditional Christmas songs(Rudolph, Frosty, Jingle Bells), you know all the kid's songs we sang when we were little.  JR, I'll be hitting you up for some faces sequences.  Hope you'll be able to help me out.  :)   (I am going to try and sequence my own faces, but I'm not all that confident I can that my first shot at it will be good enough for public viewing)

The other big addition to my display is still being debated in our household.  I live on a pretty busy street with no parking on either side of the street.  I have a good size driveway that has an extra side spot at the end by the street.  I have talked to the wife about making that a temporary parking spot for people to pull in and watch the show.  I still have to convince her and work out how I could separate it from the rest of the driveway.  I don't want my whole driveway filling up with spectators.  

The last thing will be create a small (6-8 foot) RGB tree.  I want to start working with some RGB stuff this year in hopes of converting the whole house to RGB in 2019 or 2020.

1 hour ago, namecipS said:

So to the point of the thread, How do you keep it fresh?   New songs?  New display additions?  New songs and new display additions work very well.  So does moving things around and giving some props the year off.

Do you ever go back and re-sequence entire songs to change things up?  Absolutely!  I'm in the process of revitalizing quite a few songs that had previously been retired for this year.  I'm working on Wizards this week... retired that one in 2013 and visitors (along with Sharon) have been asking for it ever since.

I'm sure those that have been in the hobby for years have sequenced every related holiday song out there.  Do you just change up the show by mixing in the different songs?   I like finding songs that you DON'T hear on every radio station.  LeRoy the Redneck Reindeer, You Ain't Getting Diddly-Squat, and so on...  One year Jingle Bells, the next year Jingle Bell Rock?  Or more like one year: Brain Damage / Eclipse; the next: She Came In Through the Bathroom Window; or maybe even Orange Blossom Special.  Few things make me feel more proud than viewers complimenting my choice in music and remarking how refreshing it is to not have to listen to the same sorry songs they hear every time they turn on the radio.

What do you do different each year to keep your display fresh, people interested and almost as important, yourself interested and motivated to do this each year?  See above...

• Like 1

Like yourself, I had years of the same, static displays, repeatedly using the same strings (mostly because they were bought to fit the placement)

Then I switched to 'energy saving' LED :( Every year at least one string was  rotted (leads on the LEDs  rusted off) during pre-install tests. This year may be different...little RAIN :( while the display was out.

So my 'freshness' is partially driven by the need to 'replace' (the other is the inability to resist store displays :o )

This is also my first year with RGB Bullets. We will see ;) These appear to be better sealed than those Indoor/Outdoor strings from the 'Box' stores.

3 hours ago, namecipS said:

I have several planned changes this year.  

I've never been able to incorporate my house roof due to the steep pitch.  I really didn't want to spend $200-300 renting a cherry picker or lift to get me up there and then another $200-300 to take them down.  While I haven't figure out exactly how to get it done, that is priority number one this spring.

Already have the hardware/supplies needed to add some RGB arches(Johnson arches).  Just need to put them together and start sequencing.

As far as songs/sequences, this year I'm going old school with the more traditional Christmas songs(Rudolph, Frosty, Jingle Bells), you know all the kid's songs we sang when we were little.  JR, I'll be hitting you up for some faces sequences.  Hope you'll be able to help me out.  :)   (I am going to try and sequence my own faces, but I'm not all that confident I can that my first shot at it will be good enough for public viewing)

The other big addition to my display is still being debated in our household.  I live on a pretty busy street with no parking on either side of the street.  I have a good size driveway that has an extra side spot at the end by the street.  I have talked to the wife about making that a temporary parking spot for people to pull in and watch the show.  I still have to convince her and work out how I could separate it from the rest of the driveway.  I don't want my whole driveway filling up with spectators.  

The last thing will be create a small (6-8 foot) RGB tree.  I want to start working with some RGB stuff this year in hopes of converting the whole house to RGB in 2019 or 2020.

I’ve rented a JLG manlift for years 60’ to peak . I put the led c7’s c9’s up with it but to take down just a quick pull. My pitch is also very steep so not able to get on roof.

Even the box store lights I use have survived that drop for almost 10 years. Though this year I did notice some whites are out. But it may have been cause by an unpredicted fall as my friend was hanging them up. He got to the peak and the basket shifted 45mph winds and the 1/2 lights went down in 2 secondS.

This year though going RGB the rectangular plastic ones and will screw them in for a replace when necessary deal.

Also a new invention for ladders will save me the JLG rental fee. A ladder adapter made for a receiver hitch, Military and light companies buying them and OSHA certified.

If you have a Sunbelt rentals close by you can rent on Friday afternoon and return on Monday since they are closed weekends for a reduced rental fee.

I have shared sequences with you before and will continue.

JR

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I’ve rented a JLG manlift for years 60’ to peak . I put the led c7’s c9’s up with it but to take down just a quick pull. My pitch is also very steep so not able to get on roof.

Even the box store lights I use have survived that drop for almost 10 years. Though this year I did notice some whites are out. But it may have been cause by an unpredicted fall as my friend was hanging them up. He got to the peak and the basket shifted 45mph winds and the 1/2 lights went down in 2 secondS.

This year though going RGB the rectangular plastic ones and will screw them in for a replace when necessary deal.

Also a new invention for ladders will save me the JLG rental fee. A ladder adapter made for a receiver hitch, Military and light companies buying them and OSHA certified.

If you have a Sunbelt rentals close by you can rent on Friday afternoon and return on Monday since they are closed weekends for a reduced rental fee.

I have shared sequences with you before and will continue.

JR

Are you referring to the monkey rack?  I've been curious about it and whether or not I could get my truck where I needed it...

http://monkeyrack.com

5 hours ago, whyintheworld said:

Are you referring to the monkey rack?  I've been curious about it and whether or not I could get my truck where I needed it...

http://monkeyrack.com

Yes. In combo with another device I can get where I need to.

My friend climbs all the ladders so with that and a safety harness he will be safe.

Im sure it will take a couple hours to ge used to it.

Will pay for itself in 1 season. Can be used for a lot esp with the size of my property.

I do wish the angle could be adjusted. Also I will use it in my front receiver where it will be easier to get around my bushes

JR

20 hours ago, George Simmons said:

So to the point of the thread, How do you keep it fresh?   New songs?  New display additions?  New songs and new display additions work very well.  So does moving things around and giving some props the year off.

Do you ever go back and re-sequence entire songs to change things up?  Absolutely!  I'm in the process of revitalizing quite a few songs that had previously been retired for this year.  I'm working on Wizards this week... retired that one in 2013 and visitors (along with Sharon) have been asking for it ever since.

I'm sure those that have been in the hobby for years have sequenced every related holiday song out there.  Do you just change up the show by mixing in the different songs?   I like finding songs that you DON'T hear on every radio station.  LeRoy the Redneck Reindeer, You Ain't Getting Diddly-Squat, and so on...  One year Jingle Bells, the next year Jingle Bell Rock?  Or more like one year: Brain Damage / Eclipse; the next: She Came In Through the Bathroom Window; or maybe even Orange Blossom Special.  Few things make me feel more proud than viewers complimenting my choice in music and remarking how refreshing it is to not have to listen to the same sorry songs they hear every time they turn on the radio.

What do you do different each year to keep your display fresh, people interested and almost as important, yourself interested and motivated to do this each year?  See above...

what he said plus I try to add something new each and every year.  Last year was a P10 matrix (tighter pixel arrangement than using a pixel strip or bullet pixel arrangement), in the coming years I will move my singing faces to the P10 with the big benefit being changing the type of singing face by song (singing pumpkins for one song then singing monsters for another then singing ghost (options are endless)).  Likewise a P10 matrix is cheaper and easier to build then trying to do the same with bullet pixels.

Well I do a bit of everything - now after my 12th year of LOR displays. Pretty much every year I add some new lighting element to the display, which then leads me to go back and edit all the existing sequences to incorporate it. That is not that hard and time consuming because I have the existing sequence to work from -- meaning all the beat points have been identified. I find that by doing this it keeps both the show "fresh" and my interest level up.

At this point with 250+ channels, not including RGB, I very rarely add a whole new song as that would take an incredible number of hours to sequence from scratch. Which, also means I have never gone back and re-sequenced a song from scratch. Just too much time involved. Doing a 2 minute song totally from scratch is probably a 16-24 hour exercise.

Anyway, find something that keeps you engaged and that will keep the show fresh for all your visitors

Scott

On 1/29/2018 at 11:10 AM, namecipS said:

Bobs MIIP   ???????

I guess I haven't lost my newb status yet.  I have no idea what that is or how I would be able to let a stranger control my show.  I have to admit when I first read it,  I thought there was another "o" in there.  Mind meet gutter.  :)

Here is Bob-O's website where you can get miip as well as several other very useful tools. 

http://itsmebob.com/SD.html

Bob does all these tools for free and asks nothing in return. I myself like to donate to him when I can to help let him know I like his tools and to keep him inspired to program more.

I really like papagayo. It is the program he made to sequence singing faces. I have been learning it. I have done a couple songs so far and even tho not yet perfect I am very close to getting there. Mainly figuring out the words that aren't in his files.

Jerry

Edited by Eaglesclaw

We keep it fresh by adding a few new elements every year, whether it's new lighted animals (next year we'll have 8-10 new ones to display since we bought some last year and this year but DIDN'T put out our lighted animals this year) or a new element in the light show (our second year we added stars on the house in the programming as well as (I think) 3-4 new songs but this year we did a minimal display with all new songs).  I'm hoping now that my husband and I are both in shiny new jobs that I'll be able to afford to purchase a couple more controllers so that I can make my spiral tree have more than just white lights, and so that I can put out the arches I bought from a fellow LOR forum member last year.

2020 is my goal year for finally having all the components purchased to have singing trees on our garage.

Edited by Jaynee

I do new songs/displays every year...about 5-6.

I add new props every year......last tow years pixel props are being added as well as some additional singing faces.

However, now that pixel count has increased it takes about 30-40 hours of programming for any new song. Most time is taken doing the singing faces.

This year I am moving things around. I will be adding about 5 new songs. I will be adding a second show to be played after Christmas with some old rock songs and some new. I am trying to get things together so I can put up a 36 ft spiral tree. I have the tower and star but not the controllers or lights yet. Still trying to work through some things like how to make the strands go around the tree and look even without the use of an aerial lift. Since I have a 2 1/2 acre front yard I try to add something new every year without going broke. :lol:

Tom

3 minutes ago, TBS99 said:

This year I am moving things around. I will be adding about 5 new songs. I will be adding a second show to be played after Christmas with some old rock songs and some new. I am trying to get things together so I can put up a 36 ft spiral tree. I have the tower and star but not the controllers or lights yet. Still trying to work through some things like how to make the strands go around the tree and look even without the use of an aerial lift. Since I have a 2 1/2 acre front yard I try to add something new every year without going broke. :lol:

Tom

I use a lift for my tree (well I did in the past). It didn't change the way I did it. Put hook head up hang the lights and evenly spread as I went. I use a spacer. My base loop was 20' diameter. Takes extra time but with OCD its a must. 6400 lights and 400 on star. 22' MT

Unfortunately my hook head broke the day after it went up but I reverted back to the old true Al frying pan for my head. My BS backup head wasn't large enough for my top section (tower). What a mess of tangled wires. 

This year I have purchased a device that attaches to my truck receiver and then I attach a ladder to it. The angle should be perfect. You can use up to a 40' ladder. Will pay for itself in a year. I haven't installed or tested yet but it should work perfect.

I too have a large yard, just under 2 acres but with the addition of my Matrix and CCR mega tree in 2017 it started filling up quick.

JR

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

This year I have purchased a device that attaches to my truck receiver and then I attach a ladder to it. The angle should be perfect. You can use up to a 40' ladder. Will pay for itself in a year. I haven't installed or tested yet but it should work perfect.

Got any additional information? Sounds interesting.

2 minutes ago, dougd said:

Got any additional information? Sounds interesting.

Sorry, I meant to post it above and got side-tracked.

Monkeyrack. com

Videos and all. About the same prices as 2 AC Controllers LOL

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1