Light-O-Rama Forums

Smaller Pixel Controlers

Little_b

Does anyone know if LOR still makes the Pixie2?  I'm starting to make more and more Pixel props that spread out throughout the display.  I'm looking for inexpensive, smaller 1-2 output controllers that I can just attach to the prop, vs having to group all the props together or deal with null pixels due to longer distances from the bigger controllers.  Plus I fee like I'm wasting the controllers potential by only using a few of the 16 outputs.  Not very cost effective.  I'm using Pixcon16's and some Sandevices e6804's, but I'd like even smaller if possible.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks,

Yea, smaller controllers spread around are the way to go!  I think I likely hold the record for the lightest working E6804.  It's driving 17 pixels - eight in one string and nine in a second.  Running a single ethernet cable that for all practical purposes has no distance limit (at least within most people's yards) is FAR easier than dealing with null pixels.

Depends on if your willing to go wireless, specifically ESP modules. You can get  a single output controller that will run up to 170 pixels and it will fit inside a piece of 1-1/4" thin walled pvc pipe.

Only notice pixie 4/8/16 in the LOR store.  Even if you can get a pixie 2, would suggest going pixe4, just to have some backup capacity.  Particularly since the pixies are limited to 100 pixels per output. 

According to the pixie documentation (p21), the Pixie2 is only available in the LOR weatherproof box. 

IMG_0221.jpg.e831ddccf11311b238fa7f907698682c.jpg

Although not explicitly stated, it looks like the CCBII Boxes

http://store.lightorama.com/cococoiicc.html

I used 12 original CCB controllers this year.  Although they worked fine, I am going with several new Pixie16 this year.  I would rather have the controller close to the house, and with a 40ft+ range to the first pixel on the newest version , they will work just fine in my display.

Edited by toddm1919

10 hours ago, mpageler said:

Only notice pixie 4/8/16 in the LOR store.  Even if you can get a pixie 2, would suggest going pixe4, just to have some backup capacity.  Particularly since the pixies are limited to 100 pixels per output. 

Good point.  Also, I would rather distribute (fused) 12V  from a more centralized ,  protected PSU, than have all those non-weatherproof power bricks tripping GFCI all the time.

It is the first port, that is expensive. Just look at the prices of pixies 4,8,16 or the 4 and 16 port (home) AC controllers

20 hours ago, Little_b said:

Does anyone know if LOR still makes the Pixie2?  I'm starting to make more and more Pixel props that spread out throughout the display.  I'm looking for inexpensive, smaller 1-2 output controllers that I can just attach to the prop, vs having to group all the props together or deal with null pixels due to longer distances from the bigger controllers.  Plus I fee like I'm wasting the controllers potential by only using a few of the 16 outputs.  Not very cost effective.  I'm using Pixcon16's and some Sandevices e6804's, but I'd like even smaller if possible.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks,

Pixie4's and 8's. However the 4's with the increased data length have not been released yet. So you may want to discuss with LOR while ordering to ensure you will receive the versions with the dip switches. 

Keep in mind in order to be able to set the unit ID you must turn all dipswitches to off. From LOR they are set as unit ID 1. If you forget to change the dip switch setting HU will allow you to change the ID however when you close HU and try to sequence it will have reverted back to unit ID 1.

JR

Not sure which direction you are going, but check out ESPixel sticks as well.  I ran one last year, but plan to run all of my Pixel wreaths with them next year.   

100-200 pixels a wreath and on Wi-fi.