Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Newbie Starting Out

newbie_Christmas display

Hello everybody. Im just starting out. Looking for guidance and help before i start forking out the big dollars. 

My current setup is like all my neighbours with strings of LED's everywhere. I am somewhat limited on front yard space. I have been watching Bruce's video ( about 100 times now ) on how to build his mega tree. I do have room at the side of my home for such. I have prematurely purchased the Star Wars March and music medley as i am a big Star Wars fan.

I am hoping for a simple setup:

1. The mega tree ( hopefully not biting off more than i chew )

2. 4/5 floods

3. i have also pre-ordered a train frame that i will need to wire with lights ( POLAR EXPRESS FAN -:) ).

The questions:

what package from LOR should i begin with

should i purchase the PRO level right away

can i use the RGB's inconjunction with LED strings or do i need replace everything with RGB's or the PIXELS down the road?

Thanking you in advance.

Matthew

1- Mega Tree - RGB or Mini LED?

2- RGB or LED?

3- Easy enough

The answers to those questions will determine what controllers you will need to purchase.

AC controllers for non RGB lights or Pixel controllers for the RGB or both.

Level is up to you but each level let’s you control a different amount of controllers. If you start out with pro there is no worries there 

You can use in conjunction but the are different types of controllers

Almost all of us that use RGB also has regular ac lights as well. - Note I said almost

A lot of folks will

tell you how to spend your money, just get what you can afford.

JR

1. mega tree - rgb smart/intelligent pixels this

You can have any combination of LED's, AC lights, Dumb RGB, Smart RGB in your display;  you just need the relevant controller for each type. Though less different types of lights = less different controllers = less headaches. :)

11 hours ago, OzAz said:

1. mega tree - rgb smart/intelligent pixels this

You can have any combination of LED's, AC lights, Dumb RGB, Smart RGB in your display;  you just need the relevant controller for each type. Though less different types of lights = less different controllers = less headaches. :)

ok thats like really cool!!!

@dibblejr...i would like to have an RGB tree. I am looking at the 5w square pixels from LOR but they are sold out right now (:-. I think if i am not wrong the overall lenght is 7ft so i dont think i could have a mega tree more than 9ft? unless i can connect them together inwhich 15-20ft tree would be awesome. Hence i think i would need the pixel controller for rgb and LED?

I don't want to use the strips just because of all the snow and freezing rain i get here.

Matthew

13 minutes ago, newbie_Christmas display said:

@dibblejr...i would like to have an RGB tree. I am looking at the 5w square pixels from LOR but they are sold out right now (:-. I think if i am not wrong the overall lenght is 7ft so i dont think i could have a mega tree more than 9ft? unless i can connect them together inwhich 15-20ft tree would be awesome. Hence i think i would need the pixel controller for rgb and LED?

I don't want to use the strips just because of all the snow and freezing rain i get here.

Matthew

Why not Bullets? 5M (~16') .  that should give you about 13' tall ( I avoid ground contact) with a medium spread.

I like the more random 'fall' of the lights. So unless you are aiming to use you MT as a detailed 'projection canvas,' bullets are cool

42 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Why not Bullets? 5M (~16') .  that should give you about 13' tall ( I avoid ground contact) with a medium spread.

I like the more random 'fall' of the lights. So unless you are aiming to use you MT as a detailed 'projection canvas,' bullets are cool

You are probably correct.-:). I've got about a foot of ice/snow right now where i would be placing the tree...avoiding ground contact is a great idea. How many strings would be recommended on a tree of 13"?

18 minutes ago, newbie_Christmas display said:

You are probably correct.-:). I've got about a foot of ice/snow right now where i would be placing the tree...avoiding ground contact is a great idea. How many strings would be recommended on a tree of 13"?

Geometry of your tree comes into play in the number of strings.  I currently have a Half circle, of 9 dumb strings,  Kinda thin, if I was to do patterns with smart pixels. Other things to consider:available Controller outputs (typ 4/8/16), Tree topper extra) channels.  Outputs seem to be like potato chips. You start the project and then they are ALL GONE :o

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Outputs seem to be like potato chips. You start the project and then they are ALL GONE :o

Just buy more of both!

???

3 hours ago, newbie_Christmas display said:

Matthew

My 2018 addition will be a 32 x 150 12v pixels. Frame was purchased from another member here and it was used as 16 strings. The size of the frame though easily accommodates 32 and I have 1 spacing issue- right now I have 149 and 1 extra node to cut or accommodate

With Brian’s updates in SS you can enlarge sequences and they look really good

JR