Light-O-Rama Forums

How to test amps on Pixel String

WeissWelsh

Hello,

I have some pixel strings that I bought from Ray Wu. The stats on some of his lights often have conflicting numbers.

I have 2 Questions:

#1 -- I would like to hook up his lights to my PixCon16 and turn them on at full power (all-white) and  measure how many amps/watts it is actually using. I have absolutely no idea how to do that. I have your typical standard meter, but I don't know what settings to put it at, nor do I know where to hook up the ends. Do the meter leads connect to the PixCon16 or on the string itself. Any help would be appreciated. 

#2 -- I noticed that there are different power stats for different light strings, even though they have similar descriptions. For example, these two strings from Ray Wu (Links Below) are both 12V 12mm Ws2811 Nodes 100ct. However, one is listed as 0.3W/30ma and the other is listed as 0.8W/66ma.I'm assuming that means the pixels themselves must be different in some way. What makes them different? Is one brighter than the other? Is there a reason I should choose one over the other (besides the power use.)

Thanks, Bob

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-12mm-WS2811-pixel-node-100pcs-a-string-IP68-rated-with-all-black-wire/701799_877900558.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.1aa6dc9c1YDQTK

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/18AWG-wire-100pcs-string-DC12V-12mm-WS2811-addressable-RGB-led-smart-pixel-node-with-all-BLACK/701799_32599191945.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.3b52f81dLemiAb

The easiest way to measure the current is to turn the lights on to whatever condition that you want to test, pull the fuse on the controller for that output, and use the probes of your DVM in the DC AMPS scale to measure the current after the lights come back on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 4:33 PM, k6ccc said:

The easiest way to measure the current is to turn the lights on to whatever condition that you want to test, pull the fuse on the controller for that output, and use the probes of your DVM in the DC AMPS scale to measure the current after the lights come back on.

Jim, sorry it took so long to reply. I had to order a new DVM because my old one could only handle 250ma. I received my new one and finally had a chance to try out your suggestion. It worked perfectly. Even though Ray Wu's site listed the string at 6.66A, the string only pulled about 4.2A at full white. You helped me out considerably. Thank you so much!!!

Bob

• The topic was locked