Light-O-Rama Summer Sale Announcement! Read more... ×
Light-O-Rama Forums
brichi

When adding video, S5 is crawling to a hault

I started getting into adding movie clips to my sequences and everything you add causes S5 to get more and more slow to the point where its barely usable. I added like 1 minute or so worth of clips and now it takes forever , up to 5 minutes to open up the sequence or edit anything  

I just timed opening up a sequence, Its a 6 minute song I programmed last year, usually opens in a few seconds, now I added a few video clips to go along with the sequence and now after timing it it took literally 2 minutes for the sequence to be usable after opening it. every time I do an edit it locks up for another 2 minutes

For bug reports, this is the info they are after.

Your leaving out some crucial info that is going to help LOR or anyone help you resolve this. For instance;

What size is the saved sequence after you added these movies?
What size are the movie clips, ie. file size? screen size? Screen resolution? (720, 1040)
What is speed, age and memory of the pc being used?
How long are the clips? time?
How many clips?
Total size of all the clips together?
What prop are you trying to play these videos on? resolution of prop? matrix, mega tree? etc?
Have you trimmed the clips to be the smallest size they can be? ie. reduce the screen size

SE only uses AVI uncompressed movies files, this format saves rather large files sizes.
Here are some examples of file size differences between .MP4, .AVI Uncompressed and .gif files.
The base file is an .mp4 (which SE cannot use) so it must be converted to .avi uncompressed. The length of the base video is 3:51. I would not try to use a video this size in LOR, this is just for comparing the difference in files sizes after re-rendering it to different formats. Obviously an edited shortened clip would result in much smaller file sizes.

This picture shows examples of re-rendering the base video to the same size (640x360) to different formats. ie .avi, gif.

vid%20example%202.png

This picture shows examples of re-rendering the base video to a smaller size (320x200) to different formats. ie .avi, gif.

vid%20example%201.png

I have found that editing the video to the smallest size and converting it from whatever format it is in to .gif gives me the best results.

Alan...

ill add the info but honestly just adding a 54 panel p10 matrix to LOR makes it slow to a halt before I even add video

What size is the saved sequence after you added these movies? 5MB
What size are the movie clips, ie. file size? screen size? Screen resolution? (720, 1040) anywhere from 10k to 10mb at 150 pixels by 110 roughly
What is speed, age and memory of the pc being used? core i5 2.6, 12gb ram, 512gb ssd, only a few years old running 64bit win10 education
How long are the clips? time? a few seconds each, 1 minute tops
How many clips? just adding one takes forever on a clean slate
Total size of all the clips together?  irrelevant being only 1 kills LOR speed
What prop are you trying to play these videos on? resolution of prop? matrix, mega tree? etc?  P10 panel matrix, 54 panels, 162 DMX universes
Have you trimmed the clips to be the smallest size they can be? ie. reduce the screen size - yes they are trimmed but not too crazy being I don't want them to look like crap on the screen or its pointless

all this can be done easily in other programs but I want to use LOR being all my stuff was already programmed in there and im just adding video to existing sequences

Even with the most recent build, I'm seeing the same issue. Adding movies to my 1800 pixel matrix takes minutes to finally load up in the preview. I'm using four different 20 second clips that are approx 20MB in size. Any best practices to improve performance?

I believe whenever loading large files the program is going to take a while. I only have a concern if lag is present when the lights are actually playing which I believe will not be the case this year.