Light-O-Rama Forums

Holiday Coro Waterproof connectors and CC B/P/R's?

rcoaster

Was wondering if the CC Bulb/Pixels/Ribbon with a waterproof connector would fit the connectors from Holiday Coro? 

(Yes, I know that you offer a dangle with your bulbs. It's a flat cable, which doesn't work with standard cable glands. The ones from Holiday Coro are round cables, which work well. Maybe this is something you should consider for future product offerings.)  

There's no standard for the waterproof connectors, so usually they don't mix from one supplier to another.

Holiday Coro connectors are quite different from most everybody else's. 

If your looking for waterproof connectors, I've looked at these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Waterproof-connector-2-pin-jack-black-led-strip-accessories-2pin-x-0-3-mm2-wire-50/1994878369.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.1.96xo2S&scm=1007.13339.33317.0&pvid=0b90fd88-3e6c-46f0-b42c-8af74c5c34d6&tpp=1

It appears (since I have the waterproof connectors from HC) that the 3 wire ones with their key matches up with what they use.

It has been said before but is worth repeating.

Even if the connectors physically match, the pinouts and wire colors may vary, even from batch to batch. Always check with a meter to make sure which pin is which.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback- I already have the 3 pin connectors from Holiday Coro, including extensions. I was wondering if the CCB-II strings from Lightorama would fit those connectors. 

5 hours ago, rcoaster said:

Thanks for the feedback- I already have the 3 pin connectors from Holiday Coro, including extensions. I was wondering if the CCB-II strings from Lightorama would fit those connectors. 

No, they dont

JR

Your best bet is to find one vendor and stick with them. (For pigtails)

I started out with Ray, then when I got my first pixie controller the connectors LOR did not fit.

I tried others, purchased 1 here and there. None fit.

At the time LOR did not sell the pigtails. I went to HC and replaced all pigtails except for my LOR ccr tree with them.

let me add- you can use 4 wire pigtails on 3 wire connectors. Just ensure that whichever wire you do not use is consistent. This saves a little $ for those that have smart and dumb strands and have some extra 4 wire pigtails laying around.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

36 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Your best bet is to find one vendor and stick with them. (For pigtails)

I started out with Ray, then when I got my first pixie controller the connectors LOR did not fit.

I tried others, purchased 1 here and there. None fit.

At the time LOR did not sell the pigtails. I went to HC and replaced all pigtails except for my LOR ccr tree with them.

let me add- you can use 4 wire pigtails on 3 wire connectors. Just ensure that whichever wire you do not use is consistent. This saves a little $ for those that have smart and dumb strands and have some extra 4 wire pigtails laying around.

JR

I suggest you DON'T if you use both Smart and Dumb  (unless they won't ever fit together)  LOR had threaded pigtails on their 10W floods, I used the opposite HC 4 core for others, just to make it stupid proof on which cable floods go to ;) .  I also have a CMB24D and a Pixie4 in the same CG1500, so I use both 3 and 4 core

52 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I suggest you DON'T if you use both Smart and Dumb  (unless they won't ever fit together)  LOR had threaded pigtails on their 10W floods, I used the opposite HC 4 core for others, just to make it stupid proof on which cable floods go to ;) .  I also have a CMB24D and a Pixie4 in the same CG1500, so I use both 3 and 4 core

I agree with you for controllers that may be in the same enclosure, just as I have 2 controllers in 1 enclosure as well. I was just stating the fact they can be used, just in case. My first sets were four core/ wire pigtails. Now that I only use 1 vendor for pigtails I do not have that problem and have switched all connectors to the same ones. If I use my cmb24 I will use the 4 core, however I think I will be returning the cmb since I have plenty of pixie16's and will just use some of my stock smart pixels for house outline.

You can reverse the ends so they don't get mixed up or just color code them as well. I know its hard enough with my 24 strand matrix, especially while initially designing it and wiring it. Just to have to go through and reverse the strings.

JR

ALWAYS check connectors with a meter. I have been burned a couple times thinking they were wired correctly. I have also had some pixels wired wrong from the factory.

I've also gone through every smart and dumb controller along with every prop and changed out all pigtails to match a single style from a single vendor.  In my case I use a 4-pin connector from DIY LED Express.  I use 4-pin because that covers any/every type of pixel and also dumb RGB.  Their pigtails come from the same supplier every year, and haven't changed in any way for all the years I've been buying them.  If extension cables get mixed, for example theirs and LOR's 4-pin 10w floodlights are the same size, it makes no difference since the extension is nothing but a straight pass-through anyway.

I solder all my own pigtails and order my nodes/pixels without any.  If I wind up receiving product that has them already attached, it only takes 2 seconds to cut the ends off and two more seconds to pitch those ends into the trash.

My only regret is not having standardized my pigtails years sooner.

Edited by George Simmons

• The topic was locked