Light-O-Rama Forums

What to do next year…

pjk

Hi everyone, 

I hope everybody had a nice Christmas and your displays well. My display was full of errors but I got through it now I'm looking for next year. I currently have 32 channels but I'm looking up my game ... I'm thinking of going the way pixels but I really don't have any clue where to start. I was thinking of going around the windows and that dumb or even smart pixels . I have 10+ a doorway with that be too much?  I'm also thinking about the time it takes to sequence them or am I off more than I can chew. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks you

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

If you are thinking going pixels, go 'smart' RGB pixels. Offers much more versatility. You can still treat them as 'dumb' pixels and light them all the same colour, or using the pixel editor make what ever colours and patterns you want.

If you think 10 windows is too much this year, just do some of them, then next year add the rest, If you add a little bit each year, not only does it make it less daunting a task, but also gives visitors something new to see next year. :)

Of course some people will tell you to do all 10 windows, doors, garages, eaves and roof outlines in one go, but each to their own.  :D

As others have said... Go with "smart" pixels!! If you don't you'll end up regretting it!! It's easier to treat the smart pixels like dumb pixels until you figure out the more "inelegant" features. . . But you can't go from dumb to smart!! 

I vote for all 10 windows, and the door. But that's just me. I've found the more props you have the better sequences turn out. It gives you more things to assign specific beats to, and helps the music make more sense!

Yup.....go with smart.   Not really much more expensive.  I wouldn't say my dumb strips were a waste, as they will be repurposed, and I will probably stay with dumb nodes for bushes.  Smart pixels on bushes sounds like a PITA.  Still, I wish I had just started with smart pixels on the house.  Doesn't sound like a big deal to change them out, BUT it is a ton harder to go into the sequences you have by then, and  have to resequence them to smart pixels that don't just mimic the dumb strings.  The one thing 99% of noobs learn the hard way is to always consider the future when making these decisions.   Don't ever decide on somethign because "it's easier", or  "a little cheaper".  It saves you money, and time, in the long run.

Edited by Dcroc

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 9:31 PM, pjk said:

Hi everyone, 

I hope everybody had a nice Christmas and your displays well. My display was full of errors but I got through it now I'm looking for next year. I currently have 32 channels but I'm looking up my game ... I'm thinking of going the way pixels but I really don't have any clue where to start. I was thinking of going around the windows and that dumb or even smart pixels . I have 10+ a doorway with that be too much?  I'm also thinking about the time it takes to sequence them or am I off more than I can chew. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks you

Peter

There is another option. Like leaving the face of the house static for this year & putting up a nice mega tree or two, 15 mini trees, say 5 pixel arches (Smart Pixels)  ,  2 Marty fans (say 13 channels each) & then let me sequence a song for you. I need the practice. Been a couple years since I did a regular display.  Spent to much time sequencing animation pixel Matrix or Tree sequences.

• The topic was locked