Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding additional Alphapix16 controllers

txmvmcc

Hello,

This may have already been asked, but I have 1 alphapix16 controller already and it works great!  I just ordered a new controller just like it.  I am confused on the set up, including in Sequence editor.  I added new device; and it started off at universe 17.  Is this correct?  I thought it read from universe 1-16 for each controller. 

I attempted to set up my configuration for my singing pumpkin using the new controller along with the other.  It again started at universe 17. 

Thinking i did something wrong, I tried to remove/delete controller from channel configuration and it will not let me.  The same under network preferences.   Do I have to reinstall my software to get rid of it?

Any info on how to set them up properly would be appreciated.  Including this changing of the IP addresses.  Do I change that on the controller, too?

I truly appreciate the time.

Mike

You can use any universe numbers that you want (up to 999 currently).  The only requirement is that universe numbers and associated channels can not be duplicated between props.  For example, for my 2017 Christmas show, I was using universes: 1, 2, 5, 12-17, 27-29, 31-23, 36, & 37.  For 2018, I expect to add almost 120 universes (mostly for P5 & P10 matrix panels).  The panels will be in the 100 and 200 number range.

So, it you are allocating universes 1 - 16 for the first Alphapix, it is quite reasonable to allocate 17 - 32 for the second one.  BTW, I do recommend allocating the maximum capacity that the E1.31 controller can take to it even if you are not CURRENTLY expecting to use all of them - you may in the future.

I currently have (5) Alphapix 16 and (1) Alphapix 4 and a Pixlite 16 controller and am getting an addition 2 Alphapix 16 for this season. Each Alphapix controller is capable of driving 2 universes per output (pixel packing) for each of the 16 outputs for a total of 32 universes. It can also control an additional 1,536 channels through the its 3 RS485 Outputs (512 channels per RS485). So, total outputs/ universes is 19. But for simplicity I keep it to 1 universe per output (170 pixels max = 512 channels). Each Alphapix needs to have it own unique IP address which can be set up through its web interface. I believe it is shipped with a generic IP of 192.168.0.50. The controller needs to be connected to your computer through the Ethernet port. Open up your web browser then type in the IP address 192.168.0.50. It will then take you the the web interface to change any of the settings you need to. including changing the IP address to one that you choose. Make sure you save the settings each time you change them before disconnecting it from the computer. Your first controller will have universes 1-16 then 17,18,19 for the RS485 outputs. Then the next would be set up with universes 19-35 and 36,37,38 for the RS485 outputs and so on...

The good thing is that how you allocate you universes is changeable in the future.  For example this year I ran two alphapix controllers. Being that it was my first year, I didn't allocate enough universes to each controller. I only allocated what I needed for each prop. 

While it isn't optimal to go back and reassign universes, it isn't a problem to do so. So this year I'll be making sure I allocate differently because I'm moving to all pixels and want to better utilize those controllers as well as the new controllers I'm adding. So don't sweat getting it "wrong". If it works, use it as a learning experience and leave it until you need to change it. 

On the other hand, if you wanted to allocate you universes in a different way, start each controller on a set series such as controller 1 starts on 100, controller 2 on 200, etc. then if you need to make an adjustment there are plenty of open universes available to that controller without worrying about if you will conflict with the next controller. 

For or example if you decide to run 300 pixels off port 5 in a daisy chain you might need an extra universe that you hadn't allocated to thatt controller. If you had already allocated the universes the same as your port numbers, now you have to figure out how not to conflict with another controller...  But if you had extra universes in the 100 range left you could add a universe knowing you wouldn't conflict with controller 2 or 3 because their universes are outside the 100 range. 

That way if you upgrade to controllers that handle more universes per port you already have a naming convention that works.  (Or downgrade to alphapix 4 which handles more universes per port as well.)

Edited by whyintheworld

• 1 month later...

Anyone using AlphaPix controllers should be aware that you cannot use null pixels and any Zig function simultaneously. I helped HolidayCoro identify and reproduce this bug last season, and I've not seen a firmware update to correct this.

• 6 months later...

I use 128ch lor ac controllers and added 3 alphapix16, I'm using two alpha pix16 for two separate mega trees each tree has 16 strands of 50pixels with 150 total channels, im installing trees on either end of house but woiuld like to duplicate sequences on both. I have one alpha at 192.168.0.50 and other at .60, I have several sequences already done for one controller....this is my problem ive tried several different ways of adiing dmx universes and adding controllers with no luck at all still only one tree that works.....now ive pinged both trees and system notices both with zero losses, im new to this and may of bight of more then I can chew but would be nice for some advice.....thanks

The issue with the DMX trees is that you can't double assign universes as the individual universe is assigned to an IP address. On the other hand you can't assign the same IP address to both trees or you get a IP conflict. The easiest way is to go into SE and copy the sequence of the completed tree to the second tree. I copy tree sequences all the time and a good speedy computer can do it all in one swoop pretty quick.

That's not entirely true.  Not that I recommend it, but if you set the universes for the one Alphapix to multicast and your Network Preferences to multicast and then you can send it to as many controllers as you want.

• This topic was locked, unlocked and locked