Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums

Recommended Posts

Today I had a bad experience with PayPal which I have used for years . I got an email this morning from  Eric Brown   A forum member asking me if I sent him $860.00  I replied no I did not send any money to you .i than went on my PayPal  acct and it said I just sent $860.00 to the person that sent me the email. As I was looking at my PayPal  acct another payment went through for $1650.00 to  Jim At Sandevices thanks to Eric Brown and Jim  (Sandevices) who recognized my name from the forum I was able to get this corrected this morning both people  had  contacted PayPal and issued refunds  PayPal is now trying to find how this happened.   Thanks to Eric And Jim.   Dennis Laff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing this Dennis. Looks like we all need to keep a close watch on our PayPal accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa......now that's scary to hear!  Let us know what Paypal says happened.  Had you previously sent money to them before this incident?

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And change your passwords!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed password this morning ,not sure if I had any dealings with E Brown. But I do buy from Sandevices .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was ripped off on Dec 13 for $1 BestBuy. c o m and on 14 Dec BestBuy. c o m $549 . Cancelled the debit card, called my LEO friends at 0700 and before my friend got 1 mile from my house on the way back to the station I was able to call my friends in the detective office and tell them when and where the package was being delivered. 55 miles away. The bad news, BestBuy has still not cooperated with the court order subpoena. Unlucky for the thief that I called BestBuy in time and they were able to intercept the delivery, that was good luck for me because they were able to issue me a refund. 1- Xbox1 intercepted. The detectives know all the info just cant act until BB cooperates. The thief hopefully is sweating bricks knowing something went wrong.

New bank card has not worked since the incident and the reissuance the 15th of Dec. This forced me to transfer all of my funds from that credit union to my other credit union. Since they let the scam (test transaction $1) through they have lost all of my business and the account closed. Since it is a Federal Credit Union it became a multi agency investigation.

All of that happened because of the skimmer placed on a gas pump close to my house. Be careful everyone. I was lucky, unfortunate but lucky to recover the money.

JR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a gas station and I have found skimmer devices but I caught them before the thieves could come back and retrieve the information. Since then I've put additional locks on the pumps that use a very unique key that only I have. Then shortly after all this happened our city made it a law that those locks are required on all pumps. 

All the pump manufacturers over the years have manufactured their pumps with a one key fits all situation which was okay until the thieves figured it out.

So a word of caution from somebody who knows what they're talking about double check the pumps where you get your gas and make sure that they have additional locking or anti-tamper strips across the access doors. 

If you're not sure, the person working behind the counter should be able to give you an intelligent answer to the question are the pumps secure and free of skimmer devices? If they can't give you a sense of security go somewhere else. 

Edited by Ebuechner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I own a gas station and I have found skimmer devices but I caught them before the thieves could come back and retrieve the information. Since then I've put additional locks on the pumps that use a very unique key that only I have. Then shortly after all this happened our city made it a law that those locks are required on all pumps. 

All the pump manufacturers over the years have manufactured their pumps with a one key fits all situation which was okay until the thieves figured it out.

So a word of caution from somebody who knows what they're talking about double check the pumps where you get your gas and make sure that they have additional locking or anti-tamper strips across the access doors. 

If you're not sure, the person working behind the counter should be able to give you an intelligent answer to the question are the pumps secure and free of skimmer devices? If they can't give you a sense of security go somewhere else. 

There are new devices now and the thieves can just sit in their vehicles and get the card info right to their device and drive off when done. My inlaws also own a gas station and I normally use it however on the day in question I had just got the H2 out of the shop and filled it up close to my house. Its a very busy store so no telling who the culprits were. It was the most outward pump which made it easy for them to put the device inside the card slot. They are very thin these days.

I have been pulling on the card reader for quite some time but that method is pretty much obsolete with the new paperclip style skimmers. They just slide in the card slot and are left once the criminal is ready to leave. 

But your advice is very sound.

I get a lot of free prop coro from my inlaws gas station. LOL

Hopefully you had a great show last year.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand when you use a credit card at a store or such but this money was paid out by PayPal  not on a credit card I used somewhere .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

I understand when you use a credit card at a store or such but this money was paid out by PayPal  not on a credit card I used somewhere .

Yeah, that's a crazy mix up.

Glad you caught it that would have been costly.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regard to gas stations...I just used my card on Tuesday to fill up, and last night received calls from credit card company about fraudulent usage at a store.  These were "card present" transactions.  So they essentially not only got my card data, but created a card that can be used in a Walmart.  Heard about skimming.  Didn't realize it was that widespread and would occur at the station I use all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is exactly why I never use my debit card. A credit card is fully insured and usually only takes a phone call to get your money back, at least with my fraud experience. However, most debit cards have the card owner responsible for the first $500 and is much harder to get your money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My credit union has 100% coverage against fraud actions with my debit card so I use that. I don't own Visa or MC cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Santas Helper said:

My credit union has 100% coverage against fraud actions with my debit card so I use that. I don't own Visa or MC cards.

Yes, all crefit unions do “if they are actually in the NCUA system. That was our problem. I have Navy, Marine Corps and another Crefit Union Buy were not local. I joined AFCU to have easy access to services. Unfortunately they didn’t auto cover, had B.B. not refunded the money I would have had to wait until after the investigation.

This all happened 15 Dec. Yesterday I received the letter from cu that “we did discover the transaction was fraud”.

So if I was a broke person or living pay day to pay day that $551 would have been a big hit.

The 3 other credit unions have that protection you mention.

My advice to anyone in a credit union, ask to see if they are a member of the NCUA and or what their policy is for fraud transactions.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In today's world of hacking and crime, everyone should keep tabs on ALL online accounts activity on a regular basis.

No company/profile with online access is safe anymore.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Changed password this morning ,not sure if I had any dealings with E Brown. But I do buy from Sandevices .

Dennis, Glad I could help.

About a year and a half ago you purchased a red usb adapter off of me. I have no idea what happened with paypal but I think if it were some type of scam or fraud whoever was behind it would have sent the money into an account they had set up for that purpose. We may never know what happened and probably won't. When I received the email from paypal saying that you had paid me $870 I thought it was a fake email. When I went to the paypal site the money was there. Weird for sure!

Although I know there have been a few scammers on the forums in the past I am thankful that we look out for one another on here and although I've never met any of you in person I feel as though we are all family!

Eric

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric again thanks for helping  I spoke with paypal  this morning they said my password was used by someone . I asked why someone would send money to total strangers they said they where probably watching to see if it went through with out any problem then next they would send money to someone that they  new . so your quick action ended the scram Thanks Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Eric again thanks for helping  I spoke with paypal  this morning they said my password was used by someone . I asked why someone would send money to total strangers they said they where probably watching to see if it went through with out any problem then next they would send money to someone that they  new . so your quick action ended the scram Thanks Dennis

Glad to hear it Dennis. I changed my password yesterday just in case. 

Whoever was behind it wasn't very smart. If my job was that of a criminal I would have sent very small payments to see if those went through and then saved the bigger payments for myself. LOL. 

I've worked as a law enforcement officer for almost 18 years now. Internet fraud is one of the most reported crimes of all now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

Glad to hear it Dennis. I changed my password yesterday just in case. 

Whoever was behind it wasn't very smart. If my job was that of a criminal I would have sent very small payments to see if those went through and then saved the bigger payments for myself. LOL. 

I've worked as a law enforcement officer for almost 18 years now. Internet fraud is one of the most reported crimes of all now.

For your support as a LEO, I salute you.

JR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny how you all have mentioned FRAUD today because somebody out there tried to access my Bank Acct. today Luckily the Bank shut them down and sent me an alert message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work in information security, so I follow this sort of thing professionally.  

 

For passwords, I highly recommend you consider buying an application called “1Password”.  It works with Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android and can sync passwords across those platforms for easy entry into web forms and phone apps.  Best of all, it can generate highly secure passwords for you to use on high-value sites like PayPal and your bank.   

 

Next, ALWAYS verify the site you are on BEFORE you enter your password!   One nice thing about 1Password is that it will not offer to send your password to a phony look-alike site.  

 

Lastly, do NOT click links in email that go to a site that asks for your password.  If your bank or PayPal sends an email asking you to do something, go to your browser and surf to the site manually.

 

FYI, credit cards have legal protections, debit cards DO NOT - you are at the mercy of the card issuer and provider (Bank and Visa/MC, for example).  Most will mirror credit card protections but they do not have to.  Same with ACH transfers. 

 

As for skimmers, well, once gas stations get on board with contactless payments, that problem will go away.  Always use Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Android Pay whenever you can.   As for me, I have a “burner” credit card used solely for the merchants that don’t take contactless payments and for online use only.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

/\/\/\ - For password protection I learned long ago from my military days to use at least 14 digits, that seems to have worked to keep me safe from anyone getting into my accounts. I change the passwords at least every 6 months. They are also different for any of my websites/ accounts that deal with finances or email. 

"Contactless payments" - this must be why Exxon has told my inlaws that their pumps are safe from skimmers or skimmer types of fraud. I do know the pumps cost them a lot of $. Good info and I am going to ask them next time I see them. They do take different keys, I have changed the paper in them. 10 separate keys.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for passwords, make them complex - Upper and lower case, numbers & punctuation.  Don’t use real words or names or your phone number or address.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×