Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel controller DIP setting??

Pinhighn2

When setting up multiple pix controllers, do you assign the channels in network configuration and daisy chain together with Cat5 cable?  Or do you set the DIP switches in each controller to the beginning channel #?  I’ve seen conflicting info and trying to figure out approach as newbie.  Thanks

You asked several questions.  Since this is the DMX section of the forum, I assume you are talking about DMX controllers on a single universe.  If you are talking about E1.31, it a whole different answer.  Yes, you daisy chain the Cat-5 cable between DMX controllers.  Each DMX controller will normally have it's own addresses.  How you set the DMX channel ID depends on what controllers you are using. 

Please tell us what hardware you are using and we can far better answer your questions.

My current show runs 80 channels using LOR controllers using the LOR 485 USB dongle.  For 2018 show I want to add a pixel tree using Falcon controller.  I’ve seen info on keeping LOR on 1 network and pixel on another versus putting all controllers on a e1.31 network.   Just trying to figure out this confusion as newbie.  Thanks much for your response.  I’m new to forums so if this is better suited for another one let me know which one and I’ll move it.

10 minutes ago, Pinhighn2 said:

My current show runs 80 channels using LOR controllers using the LOR 485 USB dongle.  For 2018 show I want to add a pixel tree using Falcon controller.  I’ve seen info on keeping LOR on 1 network and pixel on another versus putting all controllers on a e1.31 network.   Just trying to figure out this confusion as newbie.  Thanks much for your response.  I’m new to forums so if this is better suited for another one let me know which one and I’ll move it.

I use a Falcon controller on my 16 ribbon tree, very easy to set up.

Thanks, that helps.  The Falcon controller WILL be on E1.31 - no choice there.  Since you already have your 80 LOR channels on a LOR network with the LOR USB dongle, there is NOTHING to be gained by changing that.  So I would leave your existing LOR controllers on a LOR RS-485 network and add your new Pixel Tree with the Falcon controller on E1.31 network.  That is what I am doing except I have three LOR networks, and my E1.31 is going to SanDevices controllers.   One of my standard recommendations is to use different color Cat-5 cable for the two networks as that helps to avoid plugging a controller into the wrong type network.  In my case, my LOR networks use purple cable, my E1.31 network uses green cable, and my "normal" home LAN uses blue cable.

Edited by k6ccc

Thanks for both of your responses!  Like the idea of different color cables!  What is a good resource to learn about e1.31 for my pixels controllers?  What do I buy, how to configure, setup IP addresses in LOR software, etc to make it work!  I don’t see why It was recommended by a person on another forum that I should convert my LOR controllers to e1.31 when they work fine with my LOR dongle.  As a newbie, this pixel stuff is confusing!

20 minutes ago, Pinhighn2 said:

Thanks for both of your responses!  Like the idea of different color cables!  What is a good resource to learn about e1.31 for my pixels controllers?  What do I buy, how to configure, setup IP addresses in LOR software, etc to make it work!  I don’t see why It was recommended by a person on another forum that I should convert my LOR controllers to e1.31 when they work fine with my LOR dongle.  As a newbie, this pixel stuff is confusing!

There are tons of videos on YouTube, just do a search for LOR E1.31. If you have any other questions just ask or pm.

Edited by Mr. P

Mr P...  are you connecting your Falcon directly from Ethernet output on PC or do you connect to a bridge which then distributes the cables to pixel controllers?  If you have more than 1 falcon, do they allow daisy chain together like LOR controllers?  What do I need to buy to rig up the e1.31 network?

7 hours ago, Pinhighn2 said:

Mr P...  are you connecting your Falcon directly from Ethernet output on PC or do you connect to a bridge which then distributes the cables to pixel controllers?  If you have more than 1 falcon, do they allow daisy chain together like LOR controllers?  What do I need to buy to rig up the e1.31 network?

My E1.31 runs from my computer out to two 8 port switches, one on each end of the front yard. The F16V3 can be daisy chained as they have a mini switch built in.

• The topic was locked