Light-O-Rama Forums
  • Announcements

• DevMike

1/18/2018 - LOR has resumed operations after the fire   01/17/2018

As of 1/18 we have resumed operations.  On 1/16 a fire occurred in the same building that houses the main LOR offices and manufacturing.    More information can be found in 'Important Announcements'.    
jamills706

Preview Prop number of "bulbs"???

I am still thinking about my need for a spiral wrapped pixel tree prop and wondering...if I create a prop where I number the pixels in the order I want them to appear, am I required to have as many "bulbs" in my diagram as is actually on the real-life tree?

I was thinking I could picture the tree with a few "bulbs" in a way that would show what I intend in playback - but if it doesn't have every "bulb" included with the entire string still light up?

My tree uses a 50-bullet string of pixels and I was thinking I could simulate it like this:

11 12

7 8 9 10

1 2 3 4 5 6

or something like that - so if I chased a light from start to finish of the string it would look kind of like that on my preview.

But, If I need to use all 50 numbers for the string to sequence properly, this might not really work (especially since half of the bullets are on the back side of the tree.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Replying to myself...LOL

Well I actually did this with all 50 bullet pixels numbered and have played around with it in the Preview and Sequencing windows of S5.

For some effects it works just fine (non-linear things like the color wash or the butterfly) ... but ... I can't for the life of me figure out which effect to use to get the pixels to light from bottom to top in number order (ie:1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...49, 50). The bars and lines effect do it row by row not bulb by bulb. Effects that work on my arches (lighting them sequentially in order 1-50) do it row by row on the mini-trees! I thought one of the effects would simply light them in order (maybe the curtain or the marquee or spirals or straight lines - but all of them seem to want to do it row by row.

Anyone have any thoughts about how to do this in number order????? Not in row by row order.

My prop has a bottom row of pixels 1 through 9, the next row is 10-18, then19-25 ... until the top two rows (of a total of 10 rows) each haas one pixel numbered 49 and 50.

JA, I'm not at my S5 Computer right now, but there is an effect I think it's called "single block."  Have you tried that?  Thats how I do chases on arches in S5.  Also, a brute force way may be to go into the prop element in the sequence view and right click to expand each prop element.  If I recall, I think this expand each node as a separate channel and you may be able to complete a typical color wash chase on these.  Just trying to think of things I would try.

20 minutes ago, lyori1 said:

JA, I'm not at my S5 Computer right now, but there is an effect I think it's called "single block."  Have you tried that?  Thats how I do chases on arches in S5.  Also, a brute force way may be to go into the prop element in the sequence view and right click to expand each prop element.  If I recall, I think this expand each node as a separate channel and you may be able to complete a typical color wash chase on these.  Just trying to think of things I would try.

Thanks for that suggestion!

Well - the single block does a pixel by pixel motion across my arches...but it still does it row by row on the mini trees.

I think you kind of lost me on the brute force method - I right click on one of my minitreess (in the left column) and see the expand choice...but that doesn't seem to do anything as the expand and collapse choices seem to work on the group of mini trees (like clicking on the plus/minus symbols).

I do see several choices about motion effects rows etc...but am lost on those at this point --- I don't see them detailed in any of the help docs I've come across thus far - so maybe I am looking in the wrong places for help or tutorials on this stuff.

Again, thanks for your suggestion...any additional help is greatly appreciated (even just pointing me to where to find more detailed help/tutorials)!

Thanks, Jeff

JA, I'll fire up S5 tomorrow morning and try what I am thinking.  I'll let you know what I find.  It may not work, but at least we'll both learn something.

JA,

This is what I found when testing the brute force method.  I call it a brute force due to all the steps involved, but may give you the effect you desire.  I would think a more elegant method would be for LOR  to add a "CHASE" effect that does the exact same thing the SingleBlock does except that it fires each prop node in sequential order by number labeled in the prop definition.  Direction would only need to be ascending and descending.  I believe this would work for all organically oriented props and not those that are oriented vertically or horizontally.  I hope this is helpful.

First I created a new custom prop to approximate your tree in a test Preview.  I only used 15 nodes in mine, but the idea should be similar.

5a578dc052a6f_testtreesetup.thumb.png.7a526832ea5f7f890af0f0857428b1de.png

Next, I opened up my sequence and ensured my new prop was in a view.  Right click either motion effect row and select "Enable Channel Level on Pixel Prop."  See below.

5a578e5474c89_testtreenodeenable.png.54fad45382a26edcf37ed3536e23b841.png

You should then get  a new effects row which is a collapsed row of all your nodes.  See below.  Select the + sign to expand the new "xx Channels row"

5a578e54d959f_testtreenodelayout.png.2bcbbf4adcaeb2ea1e41cd989fa925bd.png

Expanding the row should give you a new motion effect row for each node in your prop. The location of Node 1 is by default row 1.

5a579125ac01c_testtreenodelabel.png.ce5595760d2fe7c36217e841aa46540d.png5a5797b77385d_treegrid.png.c0093b0e3a60d4b0056533643b925f6c.png

You can now add any effect to each individual node you like.  For what you asked you could add a color wash and create a chase by row. You need to first apply an effect to the first row and then select the area you wish to fill with the chase.  Right click and select Selected Area > Chase by Row.  See below.

5a579276b72fa_chasebyrow.thumb.png.183c3cc3f1dbd58f12711d55b7b14e40.png

This will then give you the chase pattern below.  Of course you can manipulate the chase, smooth it etc as you would any other chase, but it should light your tree starting at node 1 then moving to node 50 in your case.

5a579644ba114_testtreefinalchase.thumb.png.751fb50196b1c89d080ef84b69262523.png

test tree node enable.png

Edited by lyori1
Duplicate image added

JA,   Just an FYI from something I learned in this test.  You can group channel(node) level channels together, but only am ordered range.  This may help simulate some other props.