Light-O-Rama Forums
  • Announcements

• DevMike

1/18/2018 - LOR has resumed operations after the fire   01/17/2018

As of 1/18 we have resumed operations.  On 1/16 a fire occurred in the same building that houses the main LOR offices and manufacturing.    More information can be found in 'Important Announcements'.    
Sign in to follow this  
mwilson6192

S5 Preview Design of CCR (WS2811) Ribbons

This is not specifically an S5 question, but since I am using the S5 Preview for my design, I'll place the topic in this forum topic area.

This is a question on how to design CCR ribbons (any WS2811 ribbon actually) when outlining rooflines and windows. Specifically, a standard WS2811 30/10 ribbon will not physically be able to fully outline a given window (or roofline). Obviously. When I was mapping on paper CCR/ribbons to my various rooflines and windows, for efficiency purposes I "cut" the ribbons, maximizing controller capability such that sections of a single ribbon would be on a short roofline run and the remaining sections of a ribbon would outline one portion of a window. For example, one ribbon would be cut into three (3) sections, spread across two short rooflines and one window frame (bottom). These sections would be connected via custom wiring connections. A second ribbon would be cut into three (3) sections, outlining the top and two sides of the aforementioned window. Each ribbon section would be connected appropriately by extensions to one another, and no one section would exceed 10-feet (which the new second generation LOR Pixie controllers would seem to tolerate). Thus, I would have two physical ribbons outlining two short roofline runs and one full window, all connected to a single controller (LOR Pixie 2 or LOR Pixie 4, both second generation).

When I selected a predefined S5 Preview Window Frame prop, I placed it over the window. I defined the actual pixel count for the top, bottom and sides, but it only gives me the option to "control" it with one port and thus one row (e.g. Aux B, Unit ID 5, Start Circuit 1, End Circuit 186). The preview enables me to specify a maximum pixel count greater than a ribbon maximum. I'm confused. In the physical world, the window would be controlled by two ports connected to one controller. 

In other words, unlike my pixel tree or pixel arches, the roofline outlines do not nicely equate to an even number of pixels in a ribbon. They need to be cut and "connected" together to form portions of rooflines and to outline a portion of a window, as there is no way to have a complete roofline outlined by one ribbon, and there is no way to fully outline a window frame with one ribbon - the physical dimensions exceed a physical ribbon. How should I design this to achieve what I am trying to accomplish here? I know many of you have run into this issue and solved it - could someone help me get this straight in my brain? Although one doesn't design to a physical design, the software still expects to be told in the preview design the network, controller unit ID, and starting and ending pixel count. The logical has to line up to the physical eventually.

Thanks as always!

Matt

Edited by mwilson6192
Correction and clarification of post

Use unconnected line prop to go around Windows. Then group those lines into a group to sequence as one window.

1 minute ago, Dennis Laff said:

Use unconnected line prop to go around Windows. Then group those lines into a group to sequence as one window.

Is that the key, Dennis? To use unconnected lines, then assign items to the proper ports on the proper controller(s)?

And just so I am clear, I perform the group function in S5 Preview, correct?