Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D Question

stevenpr

The CMB16D says it has 2 - 20 amp inputs (per 8 channels).  How many amps are available on each channel, or maybe I should ask how many LED diodes at 20 mA each can run on each channel?

Thanks in advance. 

Keep in mind that if you're using 12V strips, a 5 meter strip has 150 RGB LEDs, but counts as 50 because it is 50 groups of three LEDs in series.

THanks K6, but as I said I’m looking to use individual led diodes, pre-wired with resistors for 12v.

Question now is the amount of these diodes per channel, and where to get the heat sinks Ducks mentioned.

I don’t remember if LOR has the heat sinks, but if you have an electronics supply house nearby, they would.  If not either digikey or mouser online would have them.  If you need me to provide a link, I can when I get off this damn iPhone.

4 hours ago, stevenpr said:

So approx 200 diodes per channel without heatsinks 400 with, correct?

Are the heat sinks available in the LOR store or somewhere else?

I believe 2 of these kits will work http://store.lightorama.com/cthekit.html  << Someone pointed out that this was NOT correct for the 16D design because each  tab needs to be isolated

Edited by TheDucks
Correction

7 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I believe 2 of these kits will work http://store.lightorama.com/cthekit.html

Danger!  Danger!  Danger!

The heat sinks on the MOSFETs in the CMB-16 are electrically hot.  If you use these heat sinks, you MUST use insulation kits on each MOSFET.

The normal heat sinks that you would use are an individual heat sink for each MOSFET.

I don't see how 2 sets of CTB08 heatsinks would even fit on a CMB16D controller.  If anyone has pictures, please share.

Has anyone in the forum actually added the heat sinks to the CMB16D controller?  I'd appreciate info on where you got the parts and pics of the controller with the heatsinks.

Thanks.

K6 - are you talking about attaching 16 of these to the controller...one on each transistor?

Would that be enough of a heat sink?  The CTB08 heatsink that allowed 8A on the CTB08 boards seems to have a lot more metal surface.

IMG_2997.jpg

35 minutes ago, stevenpr said:

K6 - are you talking about attaching 16 of these to the controller...one on each transistor?

Would that be enough of a heat sink?  The CTB08 heatsink that allowed 8A on the CTB08 boards seems to have a lot more metal surface.

That's the right things.  Yes, that will be plenty.  Even if the CTB08 heatsink fits, it would short all the output terminals of all eight channels on that bank together without insulating kits.

3 hours ago, stevenpr said:

THanks K6, but as I said I’m looking to use individual led diodes, pre-wired with resistors for 12v.

Question now is the amount of these diodes per channel, and where to get the heat sinks Ducks mentioned.

Can you share more here?  You want to run 12vdc?

3 hours ago, stevenpr said:

Smith - Yes, 12v dc running pre-wired 12v LED diodes

Monochrome LEDS?

I think that configuration might be  a power waster.  Typical strips wire 3 LEDs in series with the remaining  drop done by a resistor. (FWIW the only monochrome LEDs I have are strips inside Candy canes)

@20ma that would be 200 LEDs per ANY port.    BUT...

the first issue is the 20A per bank limit.  We are not mind readers on what demands your show imposes on any channels.

The second issue is duty cycle derating. The higher the ON time, the more heat needs to be dissipated or current reduced. Push these too hard, and frequent repairs will result.  Heat sinks add breathing room but do nothing if you are hovering about the 20A limit.  Load balance when possible. Just because 2 strings are next to each other in the display, does not require they be in the same bank.

These are what I am planning on using (each pre-wired led has a resistor).  I have done some testing with them, and am pretty confident they will provide what I need.  I originally was looking to see how many amps per channel as a 'max' to help me determine how many CMB16D controllers I would need for the project.  I have now decided to go with 3 instead of the original 2 I was thinking to help spread some load around.  Thanks for all the feedback.

HTB11Q1bOVXXXXaKXXXXq6xXFXXXP.jpg.d2bfb138d98d8487d19770e12db362c2.jpg

You have the 16D's? 2 @ 24D's (have 24 outputs)

Another choice: Use the CMB24 and Run 1 or more banks at 24V (series 2  of those LEDS).  The Amps stay down longer.

24V PSUs (open or LED.driver) are fairly standard .

If you have 16D's  already, they can handle 48V (4 LEDs in series), which is a standard Telecom voltage.

Parallel is not the only way to wire, only a PITA when on item fails. With groups of 2 or 4 the troubleshooting is easier.

• The topic was locked