Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR controller and other brand

Light_addiction

Does anyone know if you can use another brand light controller with the LOR controller? Mainly a Renard controller. Only reason I ask is someone is willing to gift me a couple of their Renard controllers. 

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Light_addiction said:

Does anyone know if you can use another brand light controller with the LOR controller? Mainly a Renard controller. Only reason I ask is someone is willing to gift me a couple of their Renard controllers. 

Thanks! 

as far as I know they don't work with LOR software, xLights supports both LOR controllers and Renard.  Depending on the model I might be willing to swap with one of my LOR's.

Renard controllers can be programmed with DMX protocol.

Then you would be able to run them as a DMX device in Lor. 

You would need a pickit 3 or similar programmer and download the code. 

• Like 1

I have looked into other controllers.  Not a very wide choice, but there are a couple.   Doesn't seem to be worth the trouble, and I found LOR to actually be the cheaper choice.  I use other brands of pixel controllers,  but have given up on wasting any time on other AC controllers.

1 hour ago, Dcroc said:

I have looked into other controllers.  Not a very wide choice, but there are a couple.   Doesn't seem to be worth the trouble, and I found LOR to actually be the cheaper choice.  I use other brands of pixel controllers,  but have given up on wasting any time on other AC controllers.

I can build a Renard controller with DMX protocol in a weatherproof box, controlling 32 channels of A/C, for around $100 last time I checked. 

2 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

I can build a Renard controller with DMX protocol in a weatherproof box, controlling 32 channels of A/C, for around $100 last time I checked. 

where can I find a used one and will they work on the same network as LOR controllers.

19 minutes ago, caniac said:

where can I find a used one and will they work on the same network as LOR controllers.

We have talked about them before when you said that you're mostly a plug-and-play guy.

Renard controllers are most definitely a DIY controller even if you have a used one, unless you had somebody set it up for you and you never planned on switching the channels around. 

38 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

We have talked about them before when you said that you're mostly a plug-and-play guy.

Renard controllers are most definitely a DIY controller even if you have a used one, unless you had somebody set it up for you and you never planned on switching the channels around. 

I am not above making one disappear!! lol :) 

11 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Renard controllers can be programmed with DMX protocol.

Then you would be able to run them as a DMX device in Lor. 

You would need a pickit 3 or similar programmer and download the code. 

Do you mind if I message you when I get these on what I all need to make them work? I'm new to all this as this was my first year. 

That won't be a problem go ahead and message me, if I don't have the answer I know where I can point you. 

www.diychristmas.org

This is where I've gotten most of my information about Renard controllers. 

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 8:50 AM, Dcroc said:

WHAT???? I can build 2 24 channel Renards, in enclosures with pigtails for the price of 1 16 channel LOR controller. I have no idea where you got your information, but you were lied to.

• The topic was locked