Light-O-Rama Forums
  • Announcements

• DevMike

1/18/2018 - LOR has resumed operations after the fire   01/17/2018

As of 1/18 we have resumed operations.  On 1/16 a fire occurred in the same building that houses the main LOR offices and manufacturing.    More information can be found in 'Important Announcements'.    
PhilMassey

S5 and RGB Channels

Now my season is done, I have installed S5 Beta again for a further look. I immediately notice that you can no longer expand an RGB channel into its components to allow editing of the color channels independently. This seems to me, to be a major omission for those of us that like to create an effect in three colors and chase it through a prop, or am I missing something. And, yes I do understand how to use the color fade tool.

Phil,
In trying to understand what you are trying do or what you are not seeing in S5, I made this quick little video to clarify if this what you are after.

This prop used for this video is a CMD-24. 8 port, 24 channels dumb RGB's. This is where I am confused, are you trying to chase colors thru each channel? Does this video help or have I missed your question?
Alan...
...Alan loves his new screen capture program B)

• Like 1

The short answer is he wants to be able to expand the RGB into the three component channels like you can in S4 Sequence Editor as I have on Rose 8 & 9 on the screen capture below.

SE_RGB_Expanded.png

Funny part of this is I had to remote into my show computer to grab this as it's the only computer with S4 on it...

Ah I see. That's what I wasn't understanding. My Bad.

Adjusting the RGB in the channel, isn't that the same as the color picker will do for you? I'm guessing that's where my confusion is.

Alan...

color%20picker.png

Different ways of accomplishing the same thing.  

Thanks Jim. Exactly right. I don't think you can do this is S5.

I don't think the color picker will let me do this, Alan.

Capture.JPG.c13815e2c606ff835a7103c704bdf169.JPG

I'm hoping we ccan get this functionality returned to S5

3 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Thanks Jim. Exactly right. I don't think you can do this is S5.

Correct.  You can't do that in the current S5 beta version.

3 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

I don't think the color picker will let me do this, Alan.

The color picker will allow the functionality, but you have to think about it differently.  Like a lot of things, different preferences for different ways to do the same task.  I prefer the ability to break down the RGB into it's component colors as Phil does.  However I don't sequence in Sequence Editor any more (all SuperStar), so it's not an issue for me at this time.  If S5 forces me into the Sequencer because of such crappy SuperStar support, it will become more of an issue for me as well.  Complex transitions would be more difficult with the color picker.

Another thing missing is the resize timing to.... command, from the right click menu. Another item I don't think I can live without. Dragging a long chase through a sequence takes forever too.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

If S5 forces me into the Sequencer because of such crappy SuperStar support, it will become more of an issue for me as well.

I WAS going to move to Superstar this year, but now I'm not so sure. 

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

I WAS going to move to Superstar this year, but now I'm not so sure. 

It’s not a SS problem. Brian has great support when needed. It’s an integration problem.

Im staying with 4.3.18 running SS 4.3.26 unless forced to move on.

I think maybe you are reading Jim’s message wrong. Last I knew he was content with SS. Perhaps I am wrong. Either way Brians support is top notch.

JR

I'm going to clarify my statement.  Brian's support of SuperStar is great.  I LOVE SuperStar!!!  What is lacking is the integration of SuperStar into S5.  I have use SuperStar exclusively for my sequencing for several years, and will continue moving into S5, IF the SuperStar integration is fixed in S5.  If not, I will be staying with S4.  There are a few MAJOR limitations in the S5 Sequencer in how it integrates with SuperStar that so far have not been addressed.  Because I am making some major changes to my layout for 2018, I need to start re-sequencing by early February, so I will be required to commit to one or the other within the next few weeks.  I'm currently trying real hard to love S5, but I can't do it so far.  I have upgraded all of my computers that have LOR software except my show computer to 5.0.16.  Next weekend the landscaping show will be moved over to the server so I can shut down the show computer until October - reduces my electric bill.  That means that the landscape show will be running on S5, even if I am sequencing for Christmas on S4.

I found somewhere where you can open / break out the three channels in an RGB, will have to look when I get home.  I have a prop that has solid color leds and I assigned them to the three RGB channels of a controller for a drum and sticks.  Red is assigned to the drum head, green assigned to a set of sticks, and blue to an alternate set of sticks.  It actually shows up as drum head, left sticks, right sticks, and I can enter them independently.  I think it's RGB Agregate or something along those lines.  I stumbled upon it completely by accident.  Unfortunately I won't be home from work for the next 11 hours or so to get exactly what it is called, but uf someone doesn't find it by the time I get home I will look.