Light-O-Rama Forums

Wrapping it up

Mr. P

Last show of the season tonight and I hope everyone had a flawless season. Everything went pretty smooth for me with no major hiccups this year. Starting tomorrow everything will start coming down and getting packed away.

Keep in mind all the pre-season sales that will start in January, I know I will be making some major purchases this year as I am planning a huge change in my show. I will be doubling the amount of pixels and converting all dumb RGB to pixels. The best part is i will still be in here picking all your brains.  :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Happy New Year to you as well.

My show will run but more tribute and fun stuff until next Sunday. I have a private showing this week at that time I plan to record. This year has been warm, I should have recorded a few every night. Now its all at once, but I still have the option of a few every night.

Are you going smart RGB for house outline? I'm just wondering if my pixies can power an at least 60' run. I know my old ones cant. Cant get to the eves in the attic since the pitch is so bad and hate to rent the man lift to install controllers every year. That's why I am changing to pixels in the first place.

Happy New Year to everyone

~JR

I had a great season with the lights!  It was a ton of fun and plan on doing it again.  Now, the pain of storing everything...  Oh the headache.. don't wanna think about it.  Where's my coffee.

Happy New Year, folks!

48 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Are you going smart RGB for house outline? I'm just wondering if my pixies can power an at least 60' run. I know my old ones cant. Cant get to the eves in the attic since the pitch is so bad and hate to rent the man lift to install controllers every year. That's why I am changing to pixels in the first place.

Yes, my house is currently dumb RGB and the entire yard is pixels so I will be converting the house to pixels.

I have heard some place that the new Pixie's were good up to 50' but I don't use pixie's so I don't know how accurate that would be. I don't think Pixie's can use null pixels either so the distance is limited. Besides with all the controllers I use I like the idea of one LOR network and one E1.31 network.

Well Mr. P i had a few hiccups nothing major. but the show went on rain or shine. I see i have only 1 hour to go till shutdown i will not be tearing down till next weekend its supposed to be bad weather here in Orange Park tomorrow i don't need to get sick. Happy New Year To All Have a Blessed 2018

Happy New Year To All

Special thanks to all who helped myself and others last year.

Our lights went well (Plan early smart RGB lights take time) I put lots of lights out this year but not as many as planned.

Our lights went dark last night as well but here in Ontario we have to look at them until over a foot of snow melts away and the temp. warms up from -16.

I have plans to expand this year to so my question will be coming.

Tonight will be the last night that I run the full show with the outdoor speaker.  Since it'll still be too cold this week to start taking everything down, I'll continue to run the show for a limited time in the evenings this week thru Saturday nite.  Again, I won't be using the outdoor speaker, but I'll continue using the FM transmitter in case any of our neighbors still feel like tuning in. 

The temperature will finally warm up into the upper 20s next Sunday, so that's when everything's coming down.  I just hope I can get all the cords out of the snow without damaging them, otherwise some of the lawn decor might have to stay until the spring thaw.

Other than the GFCI breakers tripping a few times one night during a light rain (which was easily resolved), everything ran very smoothly for our first year using the LOR. 

A big THANK YOU to the LOR help desk and to many of you who helped me out with the many questions and concerns that I had.  This was our best light display ever and I couldn't have done it without you!  Happy New Year!

Edited by Speedster

Also a huge thanks to everybody who helped me this year. It was 39゚ and Sunny here so I was able to get my whole show down. Took about 8 1/2 hours of nearly nonstop work but it's all toted up and put on the shelves.  My house looks very sad now though no lights. ?

5 hours ago, Thebug said:

Also a huge thanks to everybody who helped me this year. It was 39゚ and Sunny here so I was able to get my whole show down. Took about 8 1/2 hours of nearly nonstop work but it's all toted up and put on the shelves.  My house looks very sad now though no lights. ?

My family started feeling sad when I started taking down our outdoor lights & decor last year.  So as a "compromise" I told them I wouldn't take down the indoor lights in our living room.  We've had string lights in our living room around our inside window frames, door frame, and fake house plants for 13+ months.  I'll leave them up again this year too so it'll always look like Christmas all year 'round!  Maybe I'll even hook up one of the LOR controllers to the living room lights!   :D

Another show comes to an end. It is sad the lights are no longer running. I had more people watching this year than any other. I think that was a successful show. Get to take it all down  for storage. Going to start repairs and working on next year ASAP. Have a great new year!!! 

HVACR 

Last night was closing night for me. I had absolutely no hardware problems this year.  A couple learning curve issues getting MIIP working the way I wanted, but other than an internet outage one night, that worked great.

Teardown will be next weekend.  Forecast to be in the low 70s.  Then take a couple weeks playing with S5.  By late this month I want to be working on Visualization (S4) and Preview (S5) setups for next year.  Looking like I will likely be running a hybrid since S5 integration for SuperStar is not there yet.  I have planned for a lot of changes for 2018, so I need to be serious about getting started with re-sequencing early...

It was only in the 20's yesterday. No way I was taking everything down. I will wait till the weekend, foretasted to be in the upper 30's. I will be running the show this week. First time I have ever ran it past New Years. Had a decent amount of visitors last night surprisingly enough. 

I truly feel like I am back home in NY with the temps we are having. High 18 yesterday and 20 today. Luckily my planned show is through Saturday night and Sunday the first day of tear down is sup to be in 30’s, way down here in Central Alabama. We had our 8” snow bonus just before Christmas and was able to get my show recorded with snow along with family picture. Double bonus.

so heat wave end of the week 30’s

JR

We are forecast to tie the longest stretch below 20 degrees here.  I think it will be 12 days straight never reaching 20...  My poles are frozen in the ground so I'll be waiting for tear down.  Problem is the forecast only has 3 days above 20 within the next 15 day outlook and the highest of those is 33!  I think I might be having a Valentines day show this year...  

I also found that my normal spacing above the yard has to be increased to stay out of the snow.  Normally we get snow, it melts, snow again, melts, etc...  This year we never had the melt cycle in between some of the snows so many of my lowest points are now buried in the snow.  So next year everything goes up a few inches higher I guess.

We've been under the freezing mark for several days with one more night before a slight thaw tomorrow so I might run another "show evening" for recording purposes only for later this week.

Then Saturday starts the "wrapping it up" process.

I know you guys further north are REALLY dealing with extreme periods of extreme cold. Just another reason to keep the midnight night oil (lights) burning just a little longer. :)

Sure would have been nice to have some white stuff on the ground this year for the light show (at least to have a reason for our freezing temps)... Maybe next year.

It hit 80°F here today and has been in the 80's for the past week or so.  Thank goodness it will be in the low 70's this weekend.  Which is good because I hate to sweat while putting up or taking down the Christmas lights.  Southern California weather is pretty rough! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Southern California weather is pretty rough!

I hear you man!  It's 88 in my garage right now which means I still have to run the air conditioning for my data cabinet.  Normally I get to just leave data cabinet door open for a few months in the winter and not have to run the AC.  Gives my electric bill a bit of a break when I don't have that AC turned on.  One of these days it might cool off!

48 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

We've been under the freezing mark for several days with one more night before a slight thaw tomorrow so I might run another "show evening" for recording purposes only for later this week.

Then Saturday starts the "wrapping it up" process.

I know you guys further north are REALLY dealing with extreme periods of extreme cold. Just another reason to keep the midnight night oil (lights) burning just a little longer. :)

Sure would have been nice to have some white stuff on the ground this year for the light show (at least to have a reason for our freezing temps)... Maybe next year.

Ive got a drone headed my way now. LOL But man it is cold. With my luck the pixels are frozen since they are not acclimatized to the cold temps

JR

26 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I hear you man!  It's 88 in my garage right now which means I still have to run the air conditioning for my data cabinet.  Normally I get to just leave data cabinet door open for a few months in the winter and not have to run the AC.  Gives my electric bill a bit of a break when I don't have that AC turned on.  One of these days it might cool off!

When I was stationed in San Diego it got cold at night winter months. As a matter of fact we had a boss that rode a motorcycle to work and would often have ice on him, while his wife drove the mini van - no where. 

But our record 8" snowfall here a few days before Christmas was fabulous. Once in a lifetime event. Our family photo looks great with a caption "Christmas in Dixie 2017". The lights looked beautiful.