Light-O-Rama Forums

Question on Picture Scaling

I will try to make this as simple as I can. As I mentioned in a previous post, I worked on a lot of pictures this year for my 32 x 25 matrix panels. Without getting into too many details, pictures that I got off of GIPHY seemed to look the best if I redid the pixel sizes to the range of 100 x 100 or so. I originally scaled them to a size much closer to my actual matrix size and they did not look very good. 

I always choose scaling on and left it at 100%. Sometimes I scaled them down a bit and that improved things. Sometimes it was not necessary. 

In other cases, if I turned the scaling off I got a much clearer image but then only saw part of the picture on the matrix. This was as I expected

So to my question. Is there some way that the slider for scaling could allow me to exceed 100%.....i.e.go from no scaling to 0% rather than 100% to 0%.

I am not sure if this would have made my life easier or if I just have more to learn on doing pictures.

Hi Steve,

I think I also replied to your post about sharing pictures.  I use lots of images on my matrix and, like you, I set the scaling on and set it at 100%. If I don't like the way an image is showing, one option that I use frequently is discard the picture because it's just too pixel-intensive for my matrix. If it's close but not quite good enough, I go to Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and edit the image. Sometimes I resize the image and reset the resolution. Sometimes I resize the canvas, like when I don't want S5 to stretch the image horizontally, I adjust the canvas to appropriate proportions (in my case W=2H). I also use Photoshop Elements to edit .gif files which took me a while to get the hang of but was worth it. I usually buy Adobe's new versions of this and Premiere Elements when they go on sale on Amazon, both for under $100. I still have some work to do to figure out exactly what settings work best, both in S5 and Photoshop. If you have any questions that you think I might be able to answer, reply here. I've set the thread to notify me of replies.

Edited by PCRail