Light-O-Rama Forums

My first year failure using an LOR PixCon16 board. Assistance or guidance is requested.

Cstmkr

I was hesitant to post this, but I am close to giving up for the year. Like many people on this forum, I am a long time LOR user that decided to make the jump to RGB Pixels this year.  The months of preparation did not pay off. After purchasing my PixCon16 board from LOR, WS2811 Pixels and cables from Ray Wu, enclosure with power supplies & mounting kit from Holiday Coro, Pixel strips from Boscoyo, power distribution board from Crockett etc., I felt that I was armed and ready. That is where the fun began.

After taking many online tutorials and upgrading my LOR software to Pro, I started creating in Pixel editor, and finished two sequences. Then it came time to test one set of 100 pixels. I configured the PixCon16 using the Network Configuration tool. The RGB test worked fine. I then used the Pixel console test in the LOR Hardware program. The entire string of 100 RGB pixels tested fine. Two days later the board failed, and no longer communicated through the Ethernet port.

After a few days of LOR tech support, a replacement board was shipped to me. For what it’s worth, the replacement board is marked as a “PixCon 16 MkII V 1.0”. Not sure if this is an older board, or newer than my original board, which was labeled as a "Pixcon16 V1.3". In the Network Configuration tool, the replacement board showed up as a PixLite MkII. The board was immediately seen in Network Configuration, and setup like the original board. The Network Configuration RGB test worked fine. All 100 RGB lights worked. However, in the LOR Hardware program, only the first 30 pixels light when testing in the pixel console. Regardless of what port or pixel light string is connected. Never more than the first 30 pixels light up.

Something must be painfully obvious that I am staring at, but overlooking. I am running LOR 4.3.26 Pro, using an Enhanced LOR network, at 500k using the high speed USB485 adapter. The Pixcon16 board is configured with a static IP, using WS2811/12, High Speed, 100 lights per string. Firmware is v2.0.9. Nothing but the PixCon16 board is currently connected to my PC. And no, the pixels do not work correctly when playing back my sequence.  Any suggestions? I am taking down all of my lights starting next week, except for my pixels until I figure this out. I will attach screenshots if requested, once I figure out the picture link sharing feature on this forum. Thank you in advance, and Happy New Year!

Edited by Cstmkr
Incorrect grammar

I would check the universes and channel configs in both the network area and your sequences.   100 pixels take 450 channels and since only ~30 are lit, I suspect you are sending data to only the first 100 channels (versus 450).

7 minutes ago, smithzone said:

100 pixels take 450 channels and since only ~30 are lit, I suspect you are sending data to only the first 100 channels (versus 450).

Correction:  100 pixels takes 300 channels, not 450.

On 12/30/2017 at 2:22 PM, Cstmkr said:

I will attach screenshots if requested, once I figure out the picture link sharing feature on this forum.

The forum has very limited space per user, so the normal way of posting photos, images, and videos is to post them on some website and post the link.  You can use a photo sharing site such as Flikr, or a data sharing site such as Google Drive or Dropbox, or some website that you control (such as webspace available with most ISP accounts).  For example the photo below is actually coming from my own server.  I just typed the URL for the photo here on the forum and the forum server took care of grabbing the photo from my server when you read the page.

2014_Pixel_Tree.jpg

BTW cstmkr,

Although I'm not a big time Pixcon expert, I'm pretty good with the ethernet, logic and pixels and I'm right down the street from you in Glendora.  If you can't figure it out, I could run over there this weekend sometime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

BTW cstmkr,

Although I'm not a big time Pixcon expert, I'm pretty good with the ethernet, logic and pixels and I'm right down the street from you in Glendora.  If you can't figure it out, I could run over there this weekend sometime.

OMG.... Glendora. Not far at all. I spent another two hours tonight working on my pixel setup, with no success. I would love to resolve this. Thanks!  I will PM you.

Good luck guys - count the pixels that are lit though

If 32-33 lit up out of 100 you just need to fix channel count and set max to 300 (had same issue)

2 hours ago, smithzone said:

Good luck guys - count the pixels that are lit though

If 32-33 lit up out of 100 you just need to fix channel count and set max to 300 (had same issue)

This is what I have for port #1 in Network config. I have one set of 100 WS2811 pixels connected. They all light when tested directly from the board test. Only 30 light when tested using the LOR Hardware Pixel console test. 

Uy1iLsA.png

This is my current Pixel port setup. When testing this board in the LOR Hardware/Pixel console, only 30 are lit. This was not the case with the first PixCon16 board. All 100 would light with my first board, before it went bad. Does anything stand out from this screenshot?

LCAOIod.png

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry for the late response, as I am just now revisiting this issue. The PixCon16 board is being sent to LOR for repair, as I never got it to work past the first 30 pixels.  Thanks....

• The topic was locked